ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-14-2014, 03:29 PM   #24061
truck6driver
The Fireman
 
truck6driver's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Hope Mills, N.C.
Oddometer: 7,249
I used to pass there in the ambulance on transports from Troy.

Never got to stop and try it.

Ray
truck6driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 04:06 PM   #24062
wb57
Beastly Adventurer
 
wb57's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Central NC
Oddometer: 6,723
Very cool. I like seeing it bounce around in that neck of the woods. I like riding out there, just never do enough of it.
__________________
'10 Kawasaki Concours (EB)
'11 Kawasaki Versys

Turning money into spent fossil fuels.
(Smiley crap is implied in all posts.)
wb57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 05:39 PM   #24063
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome
 
RidingDonkeys's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Southern Pines, North Carolina, USA
Oddometer: 7,853
Took a wrong turn on 701 coming out of Town Creek and ended up shooting north to Mt Gilead. Then I took 109 to 24/27. I thought about tagging the drive-in theater in Albemarle, but figure 32 more miles wasn't a good idea since I'd be hitting US Open traffic on the way home. All in all I did about 100 miles with Bryson. He was a happy dog. It has been several weeks since he got a ride any further than the dog park.

____________________
Sidecars and dogs make everyone smile.
Spread the word.
www.sidecardogs.com
__________________
Sit Stay Ride: The Story of America's Sidecar Dogs
More info at www.sidecardogs.com

Clinging to sanity, one motorcycle at a time.
RidingDonkeys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 08:23 PM   #24064
Chad_NC
Beastly Adventurer
 
Chad_NC's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Lillington, NC
Oddometer: 3,758
Yes Jeff you found a perfect FJR. If I can get the Uly sold in two weeks and the bike still there I might have a shot. Doubt it will be there long, to good of a deal on a beautiful bike.


You got this via Crapatalk - now Free
__________________
Chad
09 Buell Ulysses XB12XT
09 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
Chad_NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 10:08 AM   #24065
schnabba
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Wake Forest, NC
Oddometer: 1,337
Grab

__________________
- walker

schnabba screwed with this post 06-15-2014 at 05:27 PM
schnabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 10:44 AM   #24066
truck6driver
The Fireman
 
truck6driver's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Hope Mills, N.C.
Oddometer: 7,249
In the middle of the road. Brave.


Ray
truck6driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 10:53 AM   #24067
wb57
Beastly Adventurer
 
wb57's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Central NC
Oddometer: 6,723
Quote:
Originally Posted by truck6driver View Post
In the middle of the road. Brave.


Ray

That's what I'm thinking. WTF???!?!?!?!
__________________
'10 Kawasaki Concours (EB)
'11 Kawasaki Versys

Turning money into spent fossil fuels.
(Smiley crap is implied in all posts.)
wb57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 10:56 AM   #24068
wb57
Beastly Adventurer
 
wb57's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Central NC
Oddometer: 6,723
Schnabba, side note:
What GPS are you using? I'm looking for something that will allow me to upload routes to and I'm hitting roadblock (no pun intended) after roadblock. Some of the auto Magellans, Garmins and Tomtoms will allow it, but they're all older models that have been discontinued. Garmin had an application that doesn't work with any of the current models as did Magellan. There's an aftermarket application called Tyre that works with older Tomtoms and Garmins, but none of the current models.
__________________
'10 Kawasaki Concours (EB)
'11 Kawasaki Versys

Turning money into spent fossil fuels.
(Smiley crap is implied in all posts.)
wb57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 11:46 AM   #24069
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome
 
RidingDonkeys's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Southern Pines, North Carolina, USA
Oddometer: 7,853
Well played! It takes cojones to park in the middle of the road. I hope you at least got some ice cream.

____________________
Sidecars and dogs make everyone smile.
Spread the word.
www.sidecardogs.com
__________________
Sit Stay Ride: The Story of America's Sidecar Dogs
More info at www.sidecardogs.com

Clinging to sanity, one motorcycle at a time.
RidingDonkeys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 05:18 PM   #24070
schnabba
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Wake Forest, NC
Oddometer: 1,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingDonkeys View Post
Well played! It takes cojones to park in the middle of the road. I hope you at least got some ice cream.

____________________
Sidecars and dogs make everyone smile.
Spread the word.
www.sidecardogs.com
Here is the trick: there were state troopers everywhere (I guess because of the golf stuff).... I put my hazards on - got in the start of the middle turn lane at the next street... EVERYBODY slowed down to about 25mph as they went by... People think I'm a cop with the blue and yellow 'stich and white helmet. I totally had a chance to buy a lightly used KZ1000 ex police bike at a STEAL, even had the original radio top box intact.... that would have been the bomb.

Didn't get ice cream.... was pushed for time.
__________________
- walker

schnabba screwed with this post 06-15-2014 at 05:26 PM
schnabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 05:25 PM   #24071
schnabba
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Wake Forest, NC
Oddometer: 1,337
new tag:

Mural painted by Cynthia Arthur Rankin in her hometown... started in the late 1970s, it was finished in 1981. (click the image for a larger version if you're really bored)

__________________
- walker
schnabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 05:31 PM   #24072
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome
 
RidingDonkeys's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Southern Pines, North Carolina, USA
Oddometer: 7,853
Paging the NCNC crowd or the Charlotte crowd. I wonder if they are watching.
__________________
Sit Stay Ride: The Story of America's Sidecar Dogs
More info at www.sidecardogs.com

Clinging to sanity, one motorcycle at a time.
RidingDonkeys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 05:36 PM   #24073
schnabba
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Wake Forest, NC
Oddometer: 1,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by wb57 View Post
Schnabba, side note:
What GPS are you using? I'm looking for something that will allow me to upload routes to and I'm hitting roadblock (no pun intended) after roadblock. Some of the auto Magellans, Garmins and Tomtoms will allow it, but they're all older models that have been discontinued. Garmin had an application that doesn't work with any of the current models as did Magellan. There's an aftermarket application called Tyre that works with older Tomtoms and Garmins, but none of the current models.
That's the garmin GPSmap 62s - designed more for point to point navigation, but if you have a street map that is routable, it will do it and has street routing features.

You have to use the garmin application itself, which can import a variety of formats... but, since each software I have ever used is limited - I use GPSBabel to convert between formats, and then can import / open directly in the application. Normally, I just import waypoints, then tell the garmin app to make a route, then I can add little via points by dragging part of the route line to another point.

So any garmin that allows route uploads - use the garmin app (mapsource) and GPSbabel to translate whatever format into something garmin likes.

The newer garmin units (gpsmap series) can use custom maps, so I download topo maps people have created when I go hiking... you can even take a satellite image, mark at least 3 known points in the image, and the unit can then use the *picture* as a basemap..... take one of those cartoony disneyworld maps, scan it in, mark 3 points, and it will track you all over that map. Fun stuff.

This unit is a bit small for a bike, but, it does do street navigation and has autozoom.... so as I approach a turn, it'll start zooming in.

Take a look at GPSbabel - it saves me a LOT of grief since I can convert formats (the current 1.5.1 version is a bit dicey - I find the 1.4.3 or 1.4.4 versions to be better... if you like to use the GUI and not just do command line geekiness).
__________________
- walker

schnabba screwed with this post 06-15-2014 at 08:34 PM
schnabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 06:22 PM   #24074
wb57
Beastly Adventurer
 
wb57's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Central NC
Oddometer: 6,723
Quote:
Originally Posted by schnabba View Post
That's the garmin GPSmap 62s - designed more for point to point navigation, but if you have a street map that is routable, it will do it and has street routing features.

You have to use the garmin application itself, which can import a variety of formats... but, since each software I have ever used is limited - I use GPSBabel to convert between formats, and then can import / open directly in the application. Normally, I just import waypoints, then tell the garmin app to make a route, then I can add little via points by dragging part of the route line to another point.

So any garmin that allows route uploads - use the garmin app (mapsource) and GPSbabel to translate whatever format into something garmin likes.

The newer garmin units (gpsmap series) can use custom maps, so I download topo maps people have created when I go hiking... you can even take a satellite image, mark at least 3 known points in the image, and the unit can then use the *picture* as a basemap..... take one of those cartoony disneyworld maps, scan it in, mark 3 points, and it will track you all over that map. Fun stuff.

This unit is a bit small for a bike, but, it does do street navigation and has autozoom.... so as I approach a turn, it'll start zooming in.

Take a look at GPSbabel - it saves me a LOT of grief since I can convert formats

Thanks for the information. I appreciate it.
__________________
'10 Kawasaki Concours (EB)
'11 Kawasaki Versys

Turning money into spent fossil fuels.
(Smiley crap is implied in all posts.)
wb57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 12:05 PM   #24075
JGNC
Gnarly Adventurer
 
JGNC's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: WNC
Oddometer: 373
Grab! West Fisher street in Salisbury.

There were too many cars in the parking lot to get a good picture.
__________________
-Jesse
JGNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014