ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-30-2015, 06:46 PM   #24331
kmw
Adventure. Er...
 
kmw's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Western NC
Oddometer: 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeco46 View Post
Finding this will put a little gravel, or dirt, in your travel. Max Patch Rd at Juniper Rd.





If the weather holds, this is a great tag for someone on a Tiger, Super Tènèrè, GS, KTM Adventure or any other big "Adventure" bike. Plenty of highway if you want it, some great gravel and more than enough two-lane twisty to satisfy the most eager Dragon-slayer.

That's the problem with Western NC, too many good roads and not nearly enough job-free daylight.


Finally figured out TapaTalk on the iPhone!
kmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 09:00 PM   #24332
RUSTINPEACE
Motorcyclist
 
RUSTINPEACE's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Location: Knoxville, TN
Oddometer: 590
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeco46 View Post
Only 740 miles?

What the hell, I'm awake, might as well ride over to HS and grab this tag before the rain moves in.
Yep only 740.2 miles to be exact.
One of these days I need to spend the time required to document an Iron Butt Association Saddle Sore 1000.

The phone system at my work decided to stop working Sunday night so I had cut my riding day short and go into work to fix it.
RUSTINPEACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 04:13 AM   #24333
STBNE
Yamaha ADVenturer
 
STBNE's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Southern Comfort
Oddometer: 7,062
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUSTINPEACE View Post
Yep only 740.2 miles to be exact.
One of these days I need to spend the time required to document an Iron Butt Association Saddle Sore 1000.

The phone system at my work decided to stop working Sunday night so I had cut my riding day short and go into work to fix it.
Head to the Moonshine Lunch Run in Casey Ill...they have a sanctioned ride in for a SS1000 from 50 different starting points around the country ...and they streamline the process so that you get your certificate right there on the spot...In 2012 coming back from Casey IL to Wendell NC nonstop I rode 840 miles in 16 hours...wasnt trying for a SS1000...should have...as you know for SS1000 certifcate you need to ride 1000 miles in 24 hrs or less...Go for it!!!
__________________
1979 Yamaha XS1100F "Swampthing"
Go Your Own Way
"Never Too Far...Never Too Cold...Never Too Wet..." Moonshine Lunch Run Mantra... RIP Terry Hammond
Dont Speak Unless You Can Improve Upon The Silence!

STBNE screwed with this post 03-31-2015 at 05:12 AM
STBNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 04:16 AM   #24334
kmw
Adventure. Er...
 
kmw's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Western NC
Oddometer: 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUSTINPEACE View Post

One of these days I need to spend the time required to document an Iron Butt Association Saddle Sore 1000.

The hardest part used to be finding petrol stations with both the address and a meaningful time stamp on the receipt. I think both of those have pretty well become standard now, I've not seen a place give an unacceptable receipt in a couple of years.

The way you ride, I'd think you could hammer out the SS or BB without too much issue.


Finally figured out TapaTalk on the iPhone!
kmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 04:30 AM   #24335
STBNE
Yamaha ADVenturer
 
STBNE's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Southern Comfort
Oddometer: 7,062
If you do the Moonshine Lunch Run SS1000 you only need to document the start and end times and your route and mileage......unlike other SS1000s this one has streamlined the paperwork so that you actually get recognition and your SS1000 certificate right on the spot...
http://moonshine-run.com/Moonshine/
This was started by an 8th generation farmer and avid LD motorcyclist Terry Hammond from Casey IL...The Moonshine store has for many years served the local famers making lunches etc...they are famous for their Moonburgers...so one day Terry thought why not start an LD RTE to Moonshine Store...the 1st year 1 person showed and every year since the numbers have grown...somewhere around 3000 motorcyclists from all over the counrty descend on Moonshine which is outside of Casey Il....the ride was scheduled in April when weather would be bad...on purpose...these are real hard core IBA-ers...you sir sound like you'd fit right in... Check out the different links in the header for Moonshine...it will give you all the background...history and the man himself Terry Hammond...
__________________
1979 Yamaha XS1100F "Swampthing"
Go Your Own Way
"Never Too Far...Never Too Cold...Never Too Wet..." Moonshine Lunch Run Mantra... RIP Terry Hammond
Dont Speak Unless You Can Improve Upon The Silence!

STBNE screwed with this post 03-31-2015 at 05:15 AM
STBNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 06:54 PM   #24336
CheapB
Gnarly Adventurer
 
CheapB's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Kaaaang, North Cackalacky
Oddometer: 470
Me and a buddy pulled off a SS1k and BB1500 back in 2011 from Colorado Springs back to Winston-Salem in 34 hrs. That was the hardest shit I've ever done, wasn't planned, just a spur of the moment deal. Got the receipts to prove it, then we decided it why should we pay them to get their stamp of approval?!

We don't need no stinking paper to remember that haul. I'll never forget it, but man was I glad to get off.
__________________
12 DL650
06 CRF250x
CheapB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 07:34 PM   #24337
daGeeeze
Geeezed lightning
 
daGeeeze's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Baneberry, TN
Oddometer: 2,124
I agree with not needing the iron butt stamp of approval. I did 1300 miles in one day bringing my eBay goldwing home to near DC from San Diego. Used the cb to know when I could let it out. I was pulling a trailer too. New Mexico all the way home in one shot.
__________________
Riding season is finally getting in gear!<br><br>Pat<br>aka Geeeze
daGeeeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 08:17 PM   #24338
STBNE
Yamaha ADVenturer
 
STBNE's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Southern Comfort
Oddometer: 7,062
Well I have gotten older and my taste for LD rides has waned considerably...I have been riding street bikes for 39 years and the lure of the open road bores me...now if thats 2 laners then I'm never bored but i have had my fill of interstate travel even though there are times when its a necessary evil...I loathe the superslabs...
__________________
1979 Yamaha XS1100F "Swampthing"
Go Your Own Way
"Never Too Far...Never Too Cold...Never Too Wet..." Moonshine Lunch Run Mantra... RIP Terry Hammond
Dont Speak Unless You Can Improve Upon The Silence!
STBNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 09:30 PM   #24339
RUSTINPEACE
Motorcyclist
 
RUSTINPEACE's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Location: Knoxville, TN
Oddometer: 590
Quote:
Originally Posted by STBNE View Post
If you do the Moonshine Lunch Run SS1000 you only need to document the start and end times and your route and mileage......unlike other SS1000s this one has streamlined the paperwork so that you actually get recognition and your SS1000 certificate right on the spot...
http://moonshine-run.com/Moonshine/
This was started by an 8th generation farmer and avid LD motorcyclist Terry Hammond from Casey IL...The Moonshine store has for many years served the local famers making lunches etc...they are famous for their Moonburgers...so one day Terry thought why not start an LD RTE to Moonshine Store...the 1st year 1 person showed and every year since the numbers have grown...somewhere around 3000 motorcyclists from all over the counrty descend on Moonshine which is outside of Casey Il....the ride was scheduled in April when weather would be bad...on purpose...these are real hard core IBA-ers...you sir sound like you'd fit right in... Check out the different links in the header for Moonshine...it will give you all the background...history and the man himself Terry Hammond...
Thanks it looks like the deadline to register was on March 29 though https://sites.google.com/site/mlrss1...tiondeadline-2
Maybe next year but I work at an accounting firm so I doubt I will be able to go.

I met this guy last year at the 1st NT700V rally in the Eastern U.S.

Here's his license plate bracket a 100CCC

and here's some of his stickers

I would like to have those on my bike but in my opinion I would rather be riding than trying to get someone to be a witness.

P.S. The only time I have ever seen other motorcycles in the wild with an Iron Butt Association License plate bracket has been on the Alaska Highway and the Cassiar highway.
RUSTINPEACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 04:32 AM   #24340
STBNE
Yamaha ADVenturer
 
STBNE's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Southern Comfort
Oddometer: 7,062
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUSTINPEACE View Post
Thanks it looks like the deadline to register was on March 29 though https://sites.google.com/site/mlrss1...tiondeadline-2
Maybe next year but I work at an accounting firm so I doubt I will be able to go.

I met this guy last year at the 1st NT700V rally in the Eastern U.S.

Here's his license plate bracket a 100CCC

and here's some of his stickers

I would like to have those on my bike but in my opinion I would rather be riding than trying to get someone to be a witness.

P.S. The only time I have ever seen other motorcycles in the wild with an Iron Butt Association License plate bracket has been on the Alaska Highway and the Cassiar highway.

In that case come to Moonshine and you'll see every configuration of an LD ride that you can think of...People ride from Calif. and back for this MLR and they do have a couple days of events so thety're in town for a few days...
__________________
1979 Yamaha XS1100F "Swampthing"
Go Your Own Way
"Never Too Far...Never Too Cold...Never Too Wet..." Moonshine Lunch Run Mantra... RIP Terry Hammond
Dont Speak Unless You Can Improve Upon The Silence!
STBNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 04:48 AM   #24341
kmw
Adventure. Er...
 
kmw's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Western NC
Oddometer: 311
NC Tag O Rama is here

Also, check out ldriders.com. Excellent mailing list, albeit a little cranky sometimes. I joined in 2007 when I started prepping for my first SS1K (never submitted the docs), that's how I found out about Stagecoach, Moonshine, Turtles and various other ride-to-eats. Good folks, several local to NC.

I see the occasional IBA tag and I do still want to submit a SS1K and a BB1500 but there's a bit of training to get to that point. Most folks hit a wall after three or four hours (or a couple hundred miles) and knowing how to recognise "I need to rest" is huge. It took three months to get to the point I could do a thousand mile day. After that I did NC to Houston in a single run. NC to Ottawa (or Ottawa to NC) in a run. Billings to NC in two days. But it took a while to build up to those and I knew when I needed to pull over and shut my eyes for twenty minutes and when I needed to get a room.

I know how some of the folks here ride, I know you know what I'm talking about. Endurance riding is a blast but knowing your limits...


Finally figured out TapaTalk on the iPhone!
kmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 02:06 PM   #24342
CheapB
Gnarly Adventurer
 
CheapB's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Kaaaang, North Cackalacky
Oddometer: 470
Ahhh training for it takes the fun out of it.

One buddy did a BBG and said he was hallucinating the last couple of hrs, had to stop every 30 mins and try to come to grips.
__________________
12 DL650
06 CRF250x
CheapB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 02:37 PM   #24343
STBNE
Yamaha ADVenturer
 
STBNE's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Southern Comfort
Oddometer: 7,062
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmw View Post
Also, check out ldriders.com. Excellent mailing list, albeit a little cranky sometimes. I joined in 2007 when I started prepping for my first SS1K (never submitted the docs), that's how I found out about Stagecoach, Moonshine, Turtles and various other ride-to-eats. Good folks, several local to NC.

I see the occasional IBA tag and I do still want to submit a SS1K and a BB1500 but there's a bit of training to get to that point. Most folks hit a wall after three or four hours (or a couple hundred miles) and knowing how to recognise "I need to rest" is huge. It took three months to get to the point I could do a thousand mile day. After that I did NC to Houston in a single run. NC to Ottawa (or Ottawa to NC) in a run. Billings to NC in two days. But it took a while to build up to those and I knew when I needed to pull over and shut my eyes for twenty minutes and when I needed to get a room.

I know how some of the folks here ride, I know you know what I'm talking about. Endurance riding is a blast but knowing your limits...


Finally figured out TapaTalk on the iPhone!
Thers is a forum ...MTF...Motorcycle Tourers Forum with a very large contingent of IBA riders...they are very civil and are a wonderful group of folks...so there are plenty of websites dedicated to the IBA riders...I have a friend who was doing a BBG and was riding through NM at night and he swore he saw an elephant run across the road ahead of him... The logest stretch I have ever done was a driving back from AZ...stopped 2 nites then the 3rd day from OK City to Trenton NJ was done in 22 hours...but that was in my '66 VW
__________________
1979 Yamaha XS1100F "Swampthing"
Go Your Own Way
"Never Too Far...Never Too Cold...Never Too Wet..." Moonshine Lunch Run Mantra... RIP Terry Hammond
Dont Speak Unless You Can Improve Upon The Silence!
STBNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 03:25 PM   #24344
RUSTINPEACE
Motorcyclist
 
RUSTINPEACE's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Location: Knoxville, TN
Oddometer: 590
Grab

Grab. .
RUSTINPEACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 07:11 PM   #24345
RUSTINPEACE
Motorcyclist
 
RUSTINPEACE's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Location: Knoxville, TN
Oddometer: 590
New Tag

New Tag
Highlands Assembly of God in Highlands North Carolina.

Clue S 6th Street.
RUSTINPEACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:09 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015