Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2008, 08:05 AM   #91
Joe Motocross OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 229
Blah Blah Blah, croffee, blah blah blah. We headed out with lots of energy and our route would provide lots of excitement today.

Not too far down the gravel we started on some designated routes.

These are mostly used by motorcycles these days.

This section was really fun. It’s fairly soft terrain. If you’re wanting to attempt a lot of these routes in Utah you should not only be capable of riding in soft sand but like it as well.

At an intersection we opted for a wash. The wash had run the previous day from a few cells that were producing rain. This made the wash a bit greasy but nothing more then demanding a little concentration. It wasn’t like you’d sink the bike to the handle bars which does happen sometimes. Just enough to keep you on your toes here.

The wash was long and we were in it for about an hour or more. It was fairly high speed with lots of water, drop offs, and cornering. We were in our element!!!!

The wash yielded to a gravel road and we passed some ok scenery.

It was kind of fun to look at if you like that stuff.

Next up we noticed my partner’s rear wheel bearing cover was locked up and not spinning with the wheel. This gave us a little concern because of the condition of his back hub. See, over the summer the hub became so loose that the bearings no longer fit tight in the hub, they’d just fall out. He did the old beer can shim trick where you jam a bunch of PBR can in the hub and bash the bearing in on top of it-HUB FIXED!!! Well it’s a temporary fix at best but when we feared bad things were going on here it turned out the beer cans were still holding the bearing secure. We cleaned the mud out and away we went.

Now we were climbing out of the desert and had to bid her fare well until next time. This is looking back down at the valley we came up.

It would be quad trails for the rest of the day.

These trails were superb and flowed through the high elevation nicely. Lots of 3rd gear terrain.

There were a few sections that were slower and rocky. I ate shit pretty good just before this photo but no damage done except a good sized bruise on my hip.

We came across a fairly wide river crossing that took my partner off guard until I walked it. Unless you’re absolutely sure about the crossing it’s best to check it. Even if you’ve done it many times before things change with a hard rain and the next thing you know you’ve sucked a bunch of water. Countless times we’ve been laughing at a buddy who charges it without checking and goes down in the drink. This was wide but fairly shallow with a smooth hard bottom.

No worries.

Back to buttery ATV trails.

Now were dropping elevation in the afternoon.

Another river crossing. This one didn’t need checking, we just punched it.

We passed through a small town, stocked up on everything including some cold beer and we even bought a bag of ice for the Old Crow. We spun out of town a few miles and called it good. It was very strange hearing those cubes jingle around in the metal cups of whiskey. What a treat!!

Next up, dinner before we got too sloppy. This is one of the favorites: vegetables in tin foil with some flesh on the adjust-a-fork.

We went with country style spare ribs and BBQ sauce.

At this juncture we were totally at ease. The days ride panned out just right with tons of action. We had a great meal, cold beer and whiskey on ice. All the characters we ran into were providing ample amounts of laughter. The loop was coming together and we were actually farther ahead then expected. We still had about 200 miles to go but we were close enough that even a major break down wouldn’t be an issue. I was thinking that things had gone way too smooth on the whole trip but I kept my trap shut until we rolled in to SLC.

Joe Motocross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 09:29 AM   #92
ktmnate
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,010
What a great report! It's just amazing how far you can ride and stay in the dirt. There's not many places in California where you can do that. Possibly in northern California but in the Sacramento area, you have to ride 30 miles just to get to the dirt.

Nate

PS- what kind of range were you getting with those tanks
ktmnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 10:13 AM   #93
windburn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,187
Fine report

Your report is true Adventure riding. I'm sure that your goal of encouraging others to ride these trails is accomplished, fine report. It has the edge tension of the Angola report. Just a joy to read.
windburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 10:45 AM   #94
Belgian Waffles
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 874
Wow!!

Amazing, amazing, amazing. How many days worth of food did you pack at a time??

And are those 400s youre riding?

Looks like I need to get me something smaller than the KLR

Ride safe,
Belgian Waffles

Current: 1989 Honda Transalp, 2006 Scorpa TY125F trials
Past: 1999 KLR 650, 1990 Tengai 650
Belgian Waffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 11:43 AM   #95
brad21
Farting in a Fan

Oddometer: 3,556
Wow, every installment just puts me more in awe. Nice.

BRC Member #49252 JOIN TODAY! https://www.sharetrails.org/support/join-or-contribute
brad21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 11:53 AM   #96
Mark950
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 395
That was an hour well spent reading this report. Now my mind is running and planning a trip something along these minimalist lines.

Old 10-01-2008, 11:58 AM   #97
backspinnn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
My favorite ride report of all times. A man's trip!

I am leaving for Moab tommorow night, but we are staying in a campground like pussies.

2009 BMW R1200GS
2007 KTM 450EXC dual sport
backspinnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 12:03 PM   #98
Scottosphere
a restless wanderer

Oddometer: 4
minimalist adventure

This has been a pleasure to read. The action shots are inspiring. The narrative is entertaining. And there are nuggets of wisdom mixed in too (straps, tool + tool welding, always check depth and firmness of water crossings when in doubt, etc.).

Joe, make sure to write a RR when you decide to sleep in the dirt in all your gear and helmet.
Old 10-01-2008, 12:11 PM   #99
dirtrider
Dusty Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Motocross
Yup, can't patch a tube with no valve stem!! Good one.
But you can! Had to do it once on my 300 EXC in the middle of nowhere. The valve stem was ripped off but was still in the wheel. Removed the tube and had one of those big patches. Poked a hole through the middle of the patch, put the valve stem back on the tube and ran the patch over the top of the valve stem with plenty of glue and crossing of fingers. Gave it ample drying time, aired it up and it held! Rode it the rest of the day.

Awesome report by the way!
2001 KTM 640 LC4 Sold
I only like two kinds of women, foreign and domestic
dirtrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 01:04 PM   #100
EZ300
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 981
I know this spot!

I just rode the Abajo Mountains this year. Awesome trails!
2010 KTM 530 XC-W Six Days
www.rockstarsmc.com
EZ300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 02:45 PM   #101
Milhaus
Made in Denmark

Oddometer: 3,010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belgian Waffles
Wow!!

And are those 400s youre riding?
Pretty sure they are on 520/525s.
Old 10-01-2008, 05:05 PM   #102
DualSportDad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,352

Awesome ride report. you have got me started looking into moving out west. Thank you!
DualSportDad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 05:39 PM   #103
rufus
We're burning daylight...

Oddometer: 4,081
Don't use beer cans to fix your hub. USE FEELER GAUGES. They are harder metal. And if you take a little time you can get it very solid. I have ridden years on a hub shimmed with feeler gauges. If you get it good and snug it won't enlarge the hole anymore.
rufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 06:15 PM   #104
VDG
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,341
I have been following this RR since the begning. What a great history and nice pics. With the minimum doing the maximum. Keep it coming...
VDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 06:27 PM   #105
BlueBuell
Banned

Oddometer: 421
You guys rock! I am really enjoying your RR because it is so hard-core, and the tension in the decision making is incredible. I am new to Adventure riding.
I can tell that your very experienced riders, very wise in evaluating risk, and you must be very physically fit to ride so hard for so long, so safely.
Many thanks for letting me partake in your ride!
Cheers!
BlueBuell is offline   Reply With Quote