Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2008, 02:48 PM   #31
threewinmag OP
Happily Lost

Oddometer: 53
N3: Before I left home on this trip, my wife suggested that I go see Phantom Canyon. She was right. The scenery was phenomenal. Soundtrack: Rollin’ / Limp Biscuit / Chocolate Starfish
Attached Images

IMS pegs
Extended Shift Lever
Wolfman Tank Bag
Dunlop D606's
Happy Trails PD Nerf Bars
Happy Trails Skid Plate
threewinmag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 02:49 PM   #32
threewinmag OP
Happily Lost

. What? I rattled a fastener loose. How did you know? OK, dear reader, you’re smarter and more observant than I gave you credit for. You must have also stayed at a Holiday Inn Express! I guess I had mentioned I failed at a particularly important maintenance task. I thought I had thread locked and tightened all the critical fasteners on my bike. A few weeks ago, I went over the bike and began replacing the factory fasteners with Allen type or locking type fasteners. I never addressed the one that holds my exhaust onto the sub frame (I believe). Note to self: You WILL see this again...

3WM: We finally pulled out onto Highway 50 just east of Canon City and got up to speed, knowing that the daylight was almost gone and we still had 40 miles to Cotopaxi. Just when I was up to 70 mph, I checked the mirror and saw that N3 was stopped so I stopped. We were 1/4 mile apart. I didn't know what he was doing but decided he was adjusting his luggage, so I waited. And waited.

And waited. Finally, being bored I turned around and went back. Seems that after yesterday falls and all the rough roads, the exhaust can had finally had enough….and fallen completely off! Zip ties were the only backup and fortunately Wal Mart was only a couple of miles away.

N3: This is that part I told you, you were going to see again. We just finished the PCR. We’re on blacktop, headed to camp. Here I am, riding along, thinking I must really look cool, all decked out on my DS bike. Like a warrior returning home from battle. After all, the drivers next to me don’t know we didn’t ride any very technical sections; it was just the PCR for Pete’s sake. There were RVs driving the PCR for crying out loud! Well I guess the PCR kicked MY ASS! I am cruising along at around 70 MPH when my bike gets LOUD! I can’t believe this crap! My bikes Muffler just fell off. The fastener I neglected came undone and my exhaust can rattled off. Screw Holiday Inn Express, I’m still a dumb-ass. Soundtrack: No Excuses / Alice In Chains / Unplugged.

My damn exhaust can tumbled ass-over-appetite all over Hwy 50. By the time I pulled over, I notice 3WM continued riding another mile toward Canon City and pulls over to wait for me. Certain that 3WM has had enough of my s**t, I don’t dare call him back to my location. What the hell, my exhaust can’t be laying too far back anyway right? So I walk along Hwy 50 combing the shoulder looking for the stupid can. I walk, and walk and WALK. After _ mile of walking ( the first _ mile empty-handed and the second _ mile humiliated, trying to hide my exhaust from passing traffic and 3WM, trying to make my stroll look leisurely and fitness related) I arrive back at my bike wondering how the hell I’m going to attach this battered POS exhaust to it. I was so embarrassed, as I walked back to the bike, can-in-hand, I remember wishing I had left my full face helmet on.

What now… Zipties to the rescue. 3WM, the Saint he is, never bitched about my bike issues. Ziptie fix, we hustled to Wal-Mart and found the necessary fasteners to make the fix much more permanent. I love parking lot repairs. Soundtrack1: Get Money / Beatnuts / Unknown CD, Soundtrack2: Take your Time (Do it Right) / SOS Band / 54 Soundtrack.
Attached Images

IMS pegs
Extended Shift Lever
Wolfman Tank Bag
Dunlop D606's
Happy Trails Skid Plate
Old 09-16-2008, 02:50 PM   #33
threewinmag OP
Happily Lost

3WM: By the time we were completely done with the parking lot repair, any semblance of daylight was gone so we stopped for dinner. I asked a "local" about Mexican food and they sent us to El Caporal. Here's the time for my second endorsement. Man, was that food good! Go. Really. I mean it. You won't be disappointed!

N3: El Caporal Soundtrack: Fire / Ohio Players / The Best of Ohio Players

3WM: On the way home, N3's bike blows a fuse and his headlight fails on the twisty blacktop of US50 as it winds along the river westbound to Cotopaxi. I stayed behind with my brights on trying to light the way and then finally took the lead. It's really strange to know there's someone REALLY close behind you, knowing that you have to maintain good lane discipline and looking back to see nothing! Just pitch black at 60 mph!

N3: What else can go wrong? It was still kind of a fun ride. Stupid, but fun. Soundtrack: Light my Way / Audioslave / Audioslave

3WM: We made it back to the BNB and counted ALL the lucky stars (while drinking single malt scotch).

N3: Drinks and cigars. All in order, life is good. BTW guys don’t do some rookie camping stuff like setting up your shelter on a game trail. I have a very cool Hennessey Hammock that I set up across what I later figured out was a game trail. During the early morning hours 3WM witnessed me almost getting smoked in my cozy little cocoon, by a mule deer running full bore from two dogs that were in fresh pursuit.
IMS pegs
Extended Shift Lever
Wolfman Tank Bag
Dunlop D606's
Happy Trails Skid Plate
Old 09-16-2008, 02:51 PM   #34
threewinmag OP
Happily Lost

3WM: Day Three opened clean and clear. A leisurely breakfast and we were off again, this time lured by the "gulches" around Cotopaxi. A ride up Dirty Gulch (with the intention to making it to Salida) turned up a dead end again. There are always signs and gates! We made the best of it anyway.
Attached Images

IMS pegs
Extended Shift Lever
Wolfman Tank Bag
Dunlop D606's
Happy Trails Skid Plate
Old 09-16-2008, 02:52 PM   #35
threewinmag OP
Happily Lost

more gulch...
Attached Images

IMS pegs
Extended Shift Lever
Wolfman Tank Bag
Dunlop D606's
Happy Trails Skid Plate
Old 09-16-2008, 02:52 PM   #36
threewinmag OP
Happily Lost

Of course this meant a change in course. We took CR-12 up and around the long way to Salida. This is an easy and beautiful ride.
Attached Images

IMS pegs
Extended Shift Lever
Wolfman Tank Bag
Dunlop D606's
Happy Trails Skid Plate
Old 09-16-2008, 02:53 PM   #37
threewinmag OP
Happily Lost

top of the world...
Attached Images

IMS pegs
Extended Shift Lever
Wolfman Tank Bag
Dunlop D606's
Happy Trails Skid Plate
Old 09-16-2008, 02:53 PM   #38
threewinmag OP
Happily Lost

We got back near the turn to Turret that we'd taken two days before and went right instead of left taking the Aspen Ridge Road route north toward Buena Vista, through the San Isabel National Forest. This was a little more challenging and, again, beautiful.
Attached Images

IMS pegs
Extended Shift Lever
Wolfman Tank Bag
Dunlop D606's
Happy Trails Skid Plate
Old 09-16-2008, 02:54 PM   #39
threewinmag OP
Happily Lost

On the other side of the road, we dropped out into the valley and saw vacationing horsepeople.
Attached Images

IMS pegs
Extended Shift Lever
Wolfman Tank Bag
Dunlop D606's
Happy Trails Skid Plate
Old 09-16-2008, 02:55 PM   #40
threewinmag OP
Happily Lost

Back home that night and the next day: The Brewer's Rendezvous!

I remember asking someone once about rejetting the stock '08 before heading into the mountains. The advice I got back was, "you don't need to worry about that, just keep your air filter clean." This piece of chocolate cake is my air filter after four days of riding. No, I wasn't behind. I LED!
Attached Images

IMS pegs
Extended Shift Lever
Wolfman Tank Bag
Dunlop D606's
Happy Trails Skid Plate
Old 09-16-2008, 02:55 PM   #41
threewinmag OP
Happily Lost

N3: No further problems with my bike. Lighting issues fixed and the rest of our ride was very pleasant. The scenery in Colorado is spectacular. The photos just can’t describe what we saw. In the pictures, the trails look easier, the mountains look smaller and the beer looks flatter. Day 3s ride was great. I had a blast. The loop we took from our jump off point to CR-12, en route we came across a place that must have been located at the top of the world! 3WM took a great panoramic photo of the scenery. He could probably give us a better description of the location. We made our way to Salida, where we met up with two other ride buddies (the aforementioned Corndogg & JB Smoove Grooves). We decided to try our hand at white water rafting. We went to American Adventure Expeditions, and paid the big $ for the “if you fall out of the raft, we’ll meet you back in Wichita” white water ride. Our guide told us he has never seen the Arkansas River water level so high. It was great fun. The water was 42 F’n degrees, I meant 42 degrees F. We had to rent wetsuits. I looked like an elephant seal in the damn thing but at least it didn’t make my ass look fat! Seriously, you ought to check AAE out.
Attached Images

IMS pegs
Extended Shift Lever
Wolfman Tank Bag
Dunlop D606's
Happy Trails Skid Plate
Old 09-16-2008, 02:57 PM   #42
threewinmag OP
Happily Lost

3WM: Saturday was spent in the park drinking beer and resting. I'd recommend this festival. It's the first Saturday after the 4th of July in Salida's City Park. We met some friends and had "stout floats" with the 2005 beer drinker of the year.

Yes, this is a picture of a STOUT FLOAT!
Attached Images

IMS pegs
Extended Shift Lever
Wolfman Tank Bag
Dunlop D606's
Happy Trails Skid Plate
Old 09-16-2008, 02:57 PM   #43
threewinmag OP
Happily Lost

Beer Drinker of the Year (a real title, google it!) and Nefiii
Attached Images

IMS pegs
Extended Shift Lever
Wolfman Tank Bag
Dunlop D606's
Happy Trails Skid Plate
Old 09-16-2008, 02:58 PM   #44
threewinmag OP
Happily Lost

This is the only wildlife we saw that day. I have some plaster cast of the footprints in case anyone want to study them.

All in all I learned three things: never pack too much shit, be flexible and there are always more trails to ride.

Peace. Threewinmag

N3: Overall, this trip was great. My bike tried my patience. My bike & I tried 3WMs patience. I saw 3WMs growth as a DS rider. The trails, weather, scenery were great. The beer festival was fun. I got stuffed in a TIGHT wetsuit. (By the way, in cold water you’ll want to bring along a small towel to wad up and “supplement your junk” inside the wetsuit. I didn’t have a towel and looked like a fat girl.)

In the end, my real reason to go on this ride was to find out what was over “that next hill.” I guess that’s why DS riders seek places we haven’t explored. The adventure of what lies ahead. I can’t wait until next year… Ride Safe. nefiii
Attached Images

IMS pegs
Extended Shift Lever
Wolfman Tank Bag
Dunlop D606's
Happy Trails Skid Plate