User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2008, 12:51 PM   #1
greengoose OP
boondocker

Oddometer: 3
Foam air filter for KTM 690 enduro

Im taking the 690 out to moab in oct. and I dont want that fine silt and red dust getting past the paper filter. I saw a thread on KTMtalk about a guy making a prefilter out of UNI foam sheets. The mod is to put a sheet of 5/8 oiled foam over the current paper filter and since your blocking some airflow with the foam you add a little air with some 1 inch vents drilled into the side of the airbox lid. Its a 100% reversable process so I decided to give it a try.

I ordered a sheet of fine green UNI filter foam and a pack of 6 UNI filtered air vent inserts http://www.unifilter.com/online%20ca...cessories.html

The operation went Quick and easy just drilled a one inch hole in each side of the airbox top and pushed in the inserts then cut the foam to 8 1/2 X 5 1/2 with a little notch in the corners for the screws, lightly oiled the top of the foam with Notoil filter spray (Ionly oiled the top to try and not contaminate the paper filter) place the foam over the paper filter and put the lid back on.

Be careful putting the lid on make sure and get the foam all the way forward so its pinched between the airbox and lid also dont crank down on the bolts to much or you will pull a brass fitting out of the air box like I did (JBweld to the rescue) slightly longer bolts may be the answer.

After I got it all together I did the 15 minute run in thing and took it out for a test ride. After 30 miles Im happy with the results power stayed the same as before the mod, no FI lights, no stalling, head pipe didnt change colors, and the silencer didnt run any hotter, there is slightly more bwaaoosh sound coming from the air box area but it is very slight

greengoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 01:28 PM   #2
TNC
Candyass Camper

Oddometer: 4,617
Cool idea. I would argue that the paper filter is excellent for keeping any particles out, Moab included, but indeed they don't live long under dusty conditions and the engine just starts running rich and crappy. Most all modern lawn tractors and such use a combination of paper elements with an oiled foam pre-filter. If maintained, the paper element lasts a very long time. My only concern would be the oil contaminating the paper element if it's touching the oiled foam. Try as you may by putting the oil on the "top" of the foam, it will migrate down, and if it's touching the paper, the paper will wick some oil. Oiled paper is horrible for air flow. Have you looked at the possibility of putting a "sandwich" of mesh metal or such between the foam and paper to leave an air gap...if there's room? I've used K&N elements in most every bike and vehicle I've ever owned, and I haven't had wear or service issues, regardless of what some say. I raced several XR Hondas over the years in enduro competition...talk about dust...and I had piston/cylinder wear equal to or better than my friends who ran foam versions.

That new 690 is a sweet looking machine, and I'd love to have one. I'd put a K&N in there if/when they make one. I was disappointed to see KTM use a flat "sheet" paper filter on that bike.
TNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 02:18 AM   #3
greengoose OP
boondocker

The stock paper filter definatly lets some fine dust get thru, after group offroad rides where the bike is sucking dusty air all day you can write grafiti with your fingertip on the fine dust inside of the airbox.
I am thinking about making a metal mesh piece to keep the filters seperated
Old 09-18-2008, 10:13 AM   #4
TNC
Candyass Camper

Oddometer: 4,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by greengoose
The stock paper filter definatly lets some fine dust get thru, after group offroad rides where the bike is sucking dusty air all day you can write grafiti with your fingertip on the fine dust inside of the airbox.
I am thinking about making a metal mesh piece to keep the filters seperated
Dang, that sucks. Good paper elements are usually better about that. Do you think it's possible that there might be a sealing issue between the element and airbox? On the other hand, maybe that 690 motor has some real suction.
TNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 11:47 AM   #5
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,216
Cool, just got back from Moab yesterday. Was out there for a week with the 450 EXC. The weather was awesome and so was the riding. You're gonna love it out there!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 01:52 PM   #6
greengoose OP
boondocker

Heres an update on the UNI foam filter mod after a couple of days hard riding in Moab I cleaned the foam and there was not a spec of dust on the interior of the airbox and still no ill effects such as temp changes or FI lights
I did make a little wire mesh screen to put between the paper filter and the foam filter to keep oil off the paper

Ahhh Moab

Old 10-17-2008, 04:08 AM   #7
Maurizio
2 smoker

Oddometer: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by greengoose
Ahhh Moab
May I say I hate you?

Eleven years ago we had a trip in the South West, and I will remember forever a long trip around Arches with a rented Jeep Wrangler...

Wonderful places!

Back in topic, I saw a few week ago at my dealer a '09 Husaberg.

Since then I am thinking of fabricating an adapter plate that takes the place of the airbox cover of the 690 to fit an external foam filter.
sold: '03 950 adv s, '05 450 exc, '08 690 e
Maurizio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 07:50 AM   #8
dirtnerd
n00b

Oddometer: 0
Great Idea

That's awesome that the foam sheet works that well. Great fix!
dirtnerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 04:18 PM   #9
AlphaMike
n00b

Oddometer: 0
I'm glad the foam worked out for you, but I'm still not convinced the paper element itself is the problem. I've also found lots of dust on the inside of my 690E's airbox, but I suspect it's been leaking in from around the seal on the filter. When my bike was last at the dealer for service, they applied a bead of grease to the air filter seal. I'm just guessing, but I assume the grease is an attempt to fix the dust problem.

I don't feel like pulling the filter to check yet (that grease is going to be messy), but I'm curious to see if there will be any dust inside the box this time.

Great Moab pics, BTW! I've been there a bunch of times mountain biking, but I'm going to take the 690E down there for the first time next April. Can't wait!
AlphaMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 07:18 PM   #10
Filterman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
New foam filter for KTM 690 Enduro

Hi guys,
I am from Unifilter Australia. We have just completed some sample foam filters for the KTM 690 Enduro and are testing them as I type this. Our initial test have shown that the filter works very well and looks to have solved the dust issue this bike has. We have a couple of guys doing some long range test his week. If all goes well we will release the filter next week. I have attached some pics. We have used a similar design as the filter we make for the BMW R1200GS which works very well.
Cheers Myles.
Attached Images

Filterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 07:21 PM   #11
Filterman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Foam air filter for KTM 690 enduro

Pic of the original paper filter and our new design.
Attached Images

Filterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 08:04 PM   #12
Renazco
Formerly AKA Boejangles

Oddometer: 4,746
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filterman
Hi guys,
I am from Unifilter Australia. We have just completed some sample foam filters for the KTM 690 Enduro and are testing them as I type this. Our initial test have shown that the filter works very well and looks to have solved the dust issue this bike has. We have a couple of guys doing some long range test his week. If all goes well we will release the filter next week. I have attached some pics. We have used a similar design as the filter we make for the BMW R1200GS which works very well.
Cheers Myles.
This is good, just what this bikes need!
Old 10-21-2008, 02:26 AM   #13
greengoose OP
boondocker

looks good filterman
Old 10-27-2008, 11:06 AM   #14
Gros Buck
Beef = Packed Vegetables

Oddometer: 847
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaMike
When my bike was last at the dealer for service, they applied a bead of grease to the air filter seal. I'm just guessing, but I assume the grease is an attempt to fix the dust problem.
Hello.

I've done the same "grease" thing, and it does not work.

I will "glue" the air filter into a silicone bed to see if it's any better. Then I will know if the paper is the issue.

Paul Jr
Old 10-28-2008, 09:14 PM   #15
Sobiloff
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filterman
Hi guys,
I am from Unifilter Australia. We have just completed some sample foam filters for the KTM 690 Enduro and are testing them as I type this.
Nice--thanks, Myles, for letting us know!