User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2004, 10:36 AM   #1
cyclecat OP
half post a day wonder

Oddometer: 1,317
Cool2 The Next Austin Gathering (NAG)

The guys who showed up at Dirty Martin's last saturday all agreed we should do it again. A few people who missed out are already asking when the next one is.

I'll throw out a few suggestions and leave it up to popular consensus.

List member "Oddfellow" owns Opal Devine's... a bar & grill on the west end of 6th Street and has offered to reserve us some prime parking and corner tables on the big outdoor deck any time we want to go there. There are a couple other options in June, so unless y'all want to do it again this month or May 22, we could save Opal Devine's for another time.

Any Saturday this month is probably too early to get together again anyway, but if I don't go to the Texas BMW rally at Lake Belton the weekend of the 23-25, I could do it then.

Every Saturday in May is booked for me except the 4th Saturday. The first weekend in June (same time the Republic of Texas Rally is in Austin) there is an offroad motorcycle race in Spicewood (Hwy 71, west of Austin) , and the Roadrunners Euro bike club has it's annual big rally at Ski Shores Cafe on that Sunday.

I'd say we could meet at one of those events in June, and then take up Oddfellow on his offer another time.

From an announcement I got on the race:

"June 5-6: Spicewood. Hare Scramble at Two River Canyon. South Texas Off-Road Motorcyclists are hosting Round 9 of the STORM Hare Scramble/Gran Prix Series at the beautiful Two River Canyon outdoor entertainment complex (Two Rivers Canyon website). This event welcomes R.O.T rally participants to come on out and spectate or bring your off-road bike and participate! Our event will be running on a spectator friendly 8 - 10 mile loop of the property.
For more details contact race chairman, Dave Denmon, at 512 659-4793."

STORM race series website.

I'm definitely going to check out the race on Saturday, and do the Euro bike show on Sunday.
Old 04-07-2004, 11:08 AM   #2
Tourmeister
What's that funny noise?

Oddometer: 1,053
Howdy Chris,

I like the idea of doing the meets on the weekends. This means I might actually be able to ride over and drag Irondawg to the meet

I think I am going to attempt to make the Belton thing. I have that weekend off. I need to do a weekend camp before we head to Big Bend so I can field test my packing and supplies. Besides, I want to peruse the parking lot so to speak and check out everyones' aftermarket goodies. John Bennett from Lufkin is heading over on his RT.

Adios,

Two Wheeled Texans
Tourmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 12:05 PM   #3
cyclecat OP
half post a day wonder

If yer going to Belton, then I'll be even more likely to head up there that Saturday (just for the day). So that means May 22 or June 5th is best for me.
Old 04-09-2004, 12:21 AM   #4
Mack
Gone, but never forgotten. RIP, Mack...

Oddometer: 3,797
With my work schedule, I'll just wait and see what you guys come up with, if I'm in town, and graveyard shift hasn't kicked my ass, I'll do my best to show. Cheers, Mack
Old 04-09-2004, 06:19 AM   #5
GollyGwiz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 334
Cool, I'm in. Storm series would be fun to take in, I used to race offroad until I had neck surgery last year and had to sell the Yz250. Shall we all take the AdvRider bikes and line them up at the staging area to see what kind of looks we get

Or we could crash the ROT ralley in full techno protection gear, 3 abreast parading through the poser crowds. Yea loud pipes save lives! Born to Ride Dude!

I'll be watching the NAG thread ... (cool name)

GollyGwiz
IBA# 7309
wan-der-lust A very strong or irresistible impulse to travel.
GollyGwiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2004, 10:19 AM   #6
Oddfellow
Beasty Rider

Oddometer: 425
Hey Guys,

Any Saturday afternoon works for us. If it's a nice day we're usually busy from noon on. If we started at 11:00 like the last meet we'd have the run of the place before the crowds show up. I can hold spots out front with traffic cones until we get enough bikes to hold them all. We did a Speed channel episode there once on the Roadrunners. We had Dave Despain and some cool vintage roadracers lined up all across the front, it was quite a sight. We could also stage from there for a run on the ROT rally! Let me know if y'all are into it.

Later,

'02 BMW R1150 GS Adventure (Beasty)
'05 Honda XR650R (Mr. Bill)
'12 Sprinter Sportsmobile RB50 w/PH
Oddfellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2004, 09:45 PM   #7
Scary Mc
hellgrammite

Oddometer: 3,709
I'd like to get together sometime before the move to CO happens in late May...
It's a friggen motorcycle, it's not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The windnoise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you shit your pants every now and then.
Scary Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 08:14 AM   #8
cyclecat OP
half post a day wonder

I'm willing to meet at Opal's May 22 in order to accomodate Scary and give him a good send-off party AND go to the STORM races in Spicewood on June 5. They're kinda close together, but that's OK. I'm going to the races regardless.

A buddy who's friends with the organizers of the races said Sunday may actually be the better day to go because the "pros" will be racing on bigger bikes then. Saturday is mostly kiddos on smaller bikes. I doubt I can go Sunday though because our Euro bike club has their big annual bike show at Ski Shores Cafe that afternoon. I think it'll still be fun to watch the pee-wees race their little bikes... they're too young to be scared, and their little bodies are better at defying gravity.

My ROT rally weekend schedule for anyone who cares to join in:
*Friday - be on 6th street to watch the bike parade roll in. (Watching from the sidelines is a lot more fun and lot safer with that crowd!)
*Saturday - STORM races in Spicewood (maybe riding around the Hill Country a bit too).
*Sunday - Roadrunner's British/Euro bike show at Ski Shores Cafe.
Old 04-12-2004, 08:22 AM   #9
cyclecat OP
half post a day wonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by GollyGwiz
Shall we all take the AdvRider bikes and line them up at the staging area to see what kind of looks we get

I'll be watching the NAG thread ... (cool name)

Given the opportunity, I hope to maybe ride around the course during some down time. I doubt we'll take it at the same pace as the dirt bikes though.

I thought the name was kinda catchy too. Thanks.
Old 04-12-2004, 10:07 AM   #10
Stephen
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,175
Um, Whatever...

The Spicewood race does indeed sound interesting. Haven't seen a dirt race since the last vintage race at Steamboat. Jeebus, that was '98! Wonder if I could hit that on Sunday AND make the scene at Ski Shores...

22 May at Opal D's ? Likely for me, especially since it's only about nine blocks from my home. Hey, OddGuy, thanks much for the invite. I must confess that Mother Egan's across the street is as close to yer fine establishment as I've been, but don't feel bad--I don't get out much. Funny that Opal's got put on my list of "musts" just a week before your kind solicitation, as I found out at a tour of Live Oak Brewing that your's is one of the few and noble public houses that serve Live Oak's outstanding draughts. You got the Pils or Weizen, I hope, and not just the popular but tame Big Bark? (Beware the Liberation IPA if you're riding...that stuff's glorious but will render you comatose!)

NAG, NAG, NAG...keep it up, Cat.
Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 12:15 PM   #11
cyclecat OP
half post a day wonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen
The Spicewood race does indeed sound interesting. Haven't seen a dirt race since the last vintage race at Steamboat. Jeebus, that was '98! Wonder if I could hit that on Sunday AND make the scene at Ski Shores...
The buddy who is a friend of the organizers said there would probably be plenty of racing to see Sunday AM and still make to Ski Shores in time to see all the bikes and eat.
Old 04-12-2004, 01:46 PM   #12
Bill J. from Austin
Casual Hero and Raconteur

Oddometer: 77
Wink On my wish-list of upcoming events...

I'm going to try to attend:

Benefit and Poker Run for PFC Alan Babin (wounded in Iraq last year) - Saturday, April 17, at The Roadhouse in Round Rock.

BMW Rally - Saturday, April 24, at Cedar Ridge Park on Lake Belton.

6th Annual Bike Blessing and Fun Run - Saturday, May 8, at Jones Brothers Park in Jonestown.

I'll be out of pocket the rest of May, but come June I definitely want to attend:

Roadrunners Euro bike club annual big rally - Sunday, June 6, at Ski Shores Cafe.

And, even though I live 5 miles from the rally site, and ride a Harley, I couldn't care less about that damned ROT Rally. Does the term "corporate stooges" mean anything to you? However, a small group of rat and survival riders may be gathering in the Bastrop area, as a kind of "anti-ROT" rally, and I might try to hook up with them on Saturday, June 5.

Tha's muh story, ossiffer, an' Ah'm stickin' to it!

Evo FLT (AKA "The Bagger") a work in progress
Rigid kick-only shovel, built Texas-style! (AKA "The Bitch")
Unrestored James Comet (AKA "That stack of rusted scrap-metal in the shed") released with love 4-12-08
Pretty BMW R1100R (AKA "The Princess") totaled by my brother 10-4-08
Evo FXR (AKA "The Banshee") totaled by hit-and-run driver 10-26-08

"The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom, and I'm trying to get there as fast as I can!"
Bill J. from Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 09:15 PM   #13
Oddfellow
Beasty Rider

Oddometer: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen
22 May at Opal D's ? Likely for me, especially since it's only about nine blocks from my home. Hey, OddGuy, thanks much for the invite. I must confess that Mother Egan's across the street is as close to yer fine establishment as I've been, but don't feel bad--I don't get out much. Funny that Opal's got put on my list of "musts" just a week before your kind solicitation, as I found out at a tour of Live Oak Brewing that your's is one of the few and noble public houses that serve Live Oak's outstanding draughts. You got the Pils or Weizen, I hope, and not just the popular but tame Big Bark? (Beware the Liberation IPA if you're riding...that stuff's glorious but will render you comatose!).
We've got all the Liberation Ale that's left in Texas. I always buy up the last 10 to 20 kegs of it. I've got more than the brewery. I'll second your warning about dosage though, it is strong stuff. Besides that we have the Pilz and will have the Hefe-Weizen on when we finish off the Liberation. Gotta support the local good guys!
Next time your at Mother Egan's tell Mick or John I said HEY! They are good neighbors.

Cheers,

'02 BMW R1150 GS Adventure (Beasty)
'05 Honda XR650R (Mr. Bill)
'12 Sprinter Sportsmobile RB50 w/PH
Oddfellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 08:38 PM   #14
IronDawg
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
Count me in for the Hare Scrambles for sure! Sounds like fun if we get to actually ride the course.

I'll also be going to Ski Shores for the Euro Bike Show.

May 22 send off is also a go!

And, for all you who like MotoGP, I've posted a gathering that's happening with some of the Two Wheel Texans gang at Jack's Backyard.
IronDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004, 08:15 PM   #15
dutch peter
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 141
may 22nd

may 22nd sounds good to me will be watching the thread as plans firm up.