User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2014, 07:45 AM   #1
everetto OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 292
WP 4CS Fork Thread

This new 4 chamber fork is starting to appear on more and more bikes. It has been discussed briefly in the KTM 300 thread, but folks thought it might be better to create a separate thread for the fork, as it is found on several different bikes, and will probably become more and more common.

My first impression on my brand new KTM 6 Day 300 was that at low speed in sand the front end was washing out pretty badly, relative to my 2013 KTM EXC (with open chamber forks). Obviously I will do some testing.

If you do any reserach at all, some suspension folks are saying this fork is harsher/stiffer than open chamber forks, and so far that has been my experience (Slavens Racing, Enduro360, MX Tech). Jeff Slavens says the fork is a bit complex and may offer lots of opportunity for adjustment.

Here is an interesting vid by Chilly at Enduro360 about this fork;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwZKwDg2S84

You can also find Slavens Racing vids about this fork on youtube.

If you have inputs/experience with setting up this fork please reply here, thanks in advance.

everetto screwed with this post 01-30-2014 at 09:54 AM
everetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 09:20 AM   #2
OrangeYZ
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 454
No experience, but I also did a lot of looking on KTMTalk before buying a 300XCW this weekend. What I learned:

- They're replacing the Closed Chamber forks, not the Open Chambers. XCWs still come with the OC except for the Six Days. XCs which came with the CC now have the 4CS (4 Chamber System).

- Yes, the 4CS on the XC is harsher than the OC on the XCW, but the CC was harsher too.

- The XC 4CS set up is different (stiffer for racing) than the XCW 6 Day 4CS set up

- Compared to the CC, they're better in most ways. Easier to change the springs, seals and revalve. Softer on the start of the stroke, better bottoming resistance.

- Compared to the OC, they're still pretty good. Easier to revalve, no more difficult to change the springs and seals. Better bottoming resistance.

- The valve stacks on both sides have rebound and compression damping, but the externally adjustable compression is on one side and the rebound on the other.

-I want them, but I wanted the linkless rear and the speedometer more, and my dealer already sold his 6 Days, and I wouldn't have wanted to pay an extra grand for it, so I got the XCW.
Old 01-30-2014, 09:43 AM   #3
everetto OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeYZ View Post
-I want them, but I wanted the linkless rear and the speedometer more, and my dealer already sold his 6 Days, and I wouldn't have wanted to pay an extra grand for it, so I got the XCW.
Yep, I am aware the 4CS is replacing the CC and I misspoke above (now edited). My intent was to reference it as stiffer than the open chamber b/c I was comparing the 300 to my 350.

Like you I wanted the PDS rear suspension (linkless) and this bike appealed to me due to the combo of the new 4CS up front paired with the PDS on the rear (as opposed to all my bud's 300s which have linkage rear). My hope was/is that this new fork will have some of the characteristcs of both open and closed chamber forks, time will tell I guess as we learn about them.

everetto screwed with this post 01-30-2014 at 10:03 AM
Old 01-30-2014, 09:53 AM   #4
J.Johnson
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
The '13 Husabergs come with the 4CS forks and the PDS in the rear. And they sell for what the XCW sells for if not less. Depending on your region.
I do not have enough miles on my to give a good comparison yet. I will leave a review when I do.
Old 01-30-2014, 10:12 AM   #5
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 10,977
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeYZ View Post
No experience, but I also did a lot of looking on KTMTalk before buying a 300XCW this weekend. What I learned:

- They're replacing the Closed Chamber forks, not the Open Chambers. XCWs still come with the OC except for the Six Days. XCs which came with the CC now have the 4CS (4 Chamber System).

- Yes, the 4CS on the XC is harsher than the OC on the XCW, but the CC was harsher too.

- The XC 4CS set up is different (stiffer for racing) than the XCW 6 Day 4CS set up

- Compared to the CC, they're better in most ways. Easier to change the springs, seals and revalve. Softer on the start of the stroke, better bottoming resistance.

- Compared to the OC, they're still pretty good. Easier to revalve, no more difficult to change the springs and seals. Better bottoming resistance.

- The valve stacks on both sides have rebound and compression damping, but the externally adjustable compression is on one side and the rebound on the other.

The dealer here wouldnt come off 10.4K for a 300 6 Days,I knew a 2014 XCW would work great and it does,havent touched a clicker,for my 185lbs it works better then any KTM Ive had yet. I do almost all woods riding and it seems like the perfect bike. The link on the back might be something to try,but for what Im doing the PDS seems pretty dialed in with less maintenance worries.

Ive got 4 good rides on the 14 so far,had to grab it as soon as it showed up at the dealer or it would be gone.
Other then some jetting to do yet its a great bike,Ive ended up with the leanest needle it came with,and that is set at full lean just to run in warmish temps at 3 to 5000'. The book has jetting listed and it isnt especially close,bike would foul plugs and run like crap at their suggested jetting. I need to order the next leaner needle,the L needle.

Foot dragger screwed with this post 01-30-2014 at 10:24 AM
Foot dragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 06:40 PM   #6
neepuk
Such a drag...

Oddometer: 1,465
I'm picking up my new xc on Tuesday and looking forward to the new fork. As I understand it the 4cs forks take a bit of time to break in and the initial harshness goes away. I've also heard that one or two clicks in the suspension adjustments makes a big difference in the feel and that it's easy to make drastic changes with the stock setup. Anyone care to comment that has actual experience on the new fork?

I'm picking up a 2014 150xc and having the dealer swap out the 150 for a 200 crank, piston, top end and power valve parts before I even pick up the bike.
neepuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 08:30 AM   #7
everetto OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Just watched Chilly's vid again (referenced in 1st post) and it is interesting that he found the rebound to be quite stiff, so much so that the fork would compress and stay down too far in the travel on the high speed stuff. He went way out on the rebound clicker. I want to do some testing in the whoops, my guess is the PDS rear will need slight clicker stiffening (both rebound and high speed compression) and the fork will need some clicker softening - for overall bike balance.
Old Yesterday, 06:25 PM   #8
MudInMyBlood
...shake vigorously

Oddometer: 11
2014 KTM 300 XC-w 6 Days

Hey, just purchased a 2014 KTM 300 XC-W 6 Days with the WP 4CS forks, tried the clickers and nothing happens, no change in compression or rebound control.
Any one have any ideas why this is?
Old Yesterday, 10:49 PM   #9
1wicked55
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
I'm only 6th bike with 4CS forks.

The 4cs forks are fantastic and very easy to tune.

I think they are smoother than OC on ST and HS.

I can't comment on MX because I can't ride MX. Lol