User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2014, 04:44 PM   #1
Sbct OP
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Klr 650 opinions

Just got a klr650. Great first bike. My questions are for the experienced people, I purchased a dished Corbin seat my wife and I rode on it for about a month and it was so uncomfortable that we sold it and put stock back on for now with atv seat cover still not fun for rides longer than hour. Are there any seats that you guys would swear by as far as comfort goes for 2 people. Also what is a good after market shock? Me and her ride all the time and bumps are pretty bad I have the shock all the way on 5 and the damping screw I have played with but have been unable to make the shock absorption any better. With me on the bike and some gear I am probably looking at 370 lbs on the bike. Any suggestions would be much appreciated all thanks a bunch.
Sbct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 05:51 PM   #2
kyxon
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
I have a progressive rear shock and I think it's great but I don't do any 2-up riding. I also have a sargent low seat and I can ride for hours on end though I've read it's a bit stiff for a passenger.

Where are you located?
kyxon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 05:53 PM   #3
Sbct OP
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Klr opinions

I am in western Pennsylvania. Thanks for the opinion.
Sbct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 05:58 PM   #4
simbaboy
Lansing MBS

Oddometer: 604
Try the stiffest rear shock spring you can get (about $100) and put PVC spacers/progressive front springs to the front fork springs. I got my spring from TopGun--these are good people. http://www.topgunmotorcycles.com/Pro.../klrprod2.html Get the 8.0 Kg spring.

Resign to the fact that seats for KLR650 (or any motorcycle) are not comfortable--that is why you have to get on the pegs every 15-30 minutes for a few seconds. That is what I have to do even with my $400 Corbin seat. Highway bars will help.

At the end of the day the number 1 complaint for all riders with all different bike models is always the seat. It is just part of the deal--train your legs and joints and butts and you will get 'used' to the discomfort.

Simba

simbaboy screwed with this post 08-21-2014 at 06:06 PM
simbaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 06:45 PM   #5
GAS GUY
MILE EATER

Oddometer: 2,838
First you can try the heaviest spring available on the stock shock, unless you don't mind spending on a new shock.
I think it is a 550 inch pound.
Check out Happy Trails website.They sell Eibach springs and have a nice chart.
But it can be a bear to install unless you have a shop press or the right tools or know someone.
Cogent sells a nice shock along with Racetech and now Nitron offers one also.

The Sargent or Corbin Flat is the best off the shelf option, I feel.
A sheepskin on top of one of the above may help also.
I run a Corbin Flat with an Alaskan leather sheepskin.
IBA # 23,716
http://gasguysadventures.blogspot.com/
GAS GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 07:13 PM   #6
juddspaintballs
Never too many bikes

Oddometer: 162
A budget rear suspension fix is to buy the heaviest spring from Top Gun motorcycle products.

A true fix is to have Cogent make you a suspension suited for two-up.

The best seat you'll ever spend your money on is a Russell Day Long. Trust me, it's worth the money. Your wife will thank you, as long as you get both driver and passenger portions made for the two of you.

You can't say happiness without saying penis.
juddspaintballs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 09:45 PM   #7
Westslopedirt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
I'd say go for the Cogent rear, I have the stock seat and the ATV pad and by but does get sore on a long day. They say the Alaskan Sheepskin will add a 100 miles to your day, I think it will be my next purchase.
The KLR is a hell of a bike, I've ridden over 12K since the end of May.
Westslopedirt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:42 AM   #8
ChromeSux
Plated and screwed

Oddometer: 1,364
Sargent seat, the best i have found......
ChromeSux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:09 AM   #9
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi

Oddometer: 1,601
Tried the Corbin, not much better than stock, hard and not the right shape. Tried the Sargent, great quality but not the right shape for me.

Russel day long, a real keeper! Have 50K miles on it. Other great seats are made by the likes of Meyer - got one on my Beemer.

Some guys can do all day on a stock-I am about 45 minutes! Everyone and every seat meets different needs.

If you are going to spend a lot of time on the bike, a good custom seat, expensive, but it is more than worth the investment.

A spring weight fix is necessary. Again, a shock combination like the Cogent with the world class damping, is essential if you are spending a lot ot time riding. Had a Cogent a little longer than the Russel.
Tsotsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:34 AM   #10
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,510
You might consider Seat Concepts. You can call and talk to them about your specific needs.

As to the rear suspension. The rear stock shock is utter garbage. Go aftermarket. A heavier spring will not solve the problem of bad valving and cheap build to price quality (or lack thereof). I would also suggest using a raising linkage. Raise the rear suspension via aftermarket "dogbones" by 1", which doesn't actually translate to a full 1". This increases the geometry of the linkage suspension system and will help with the ride and handling by a ton.
Old Yesterday, 07:37 AM   #11
bomber60015
Anatomically Correct

Oddometer: 8,217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawidad View Post
You might consider Seat Concepts. You can call and talk to them about your specific needs.
This is a great budget fix . . . at 65 cash dollars american, it's a good stepping stone even if it isn't your final seat on the bike.
"Here is your country. Cherish these natural wonders, cherish the natural resources, cherish the history and romance as a sacred heritage, for your children and your children's children. Do not let selfish men or greedy interests skin your country of its beauty, its riches or its romance. T.R.
bomber60015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:40 AM   #12
PlatedDirtBike
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
I put 60,000 miles on my 2004. Stock seat the whole time. I just settled in to requirement of stopping every hour or so to walk around a bit. It's a motorcycle thing. Never did two up so I can't advise you there.
God, guns and guts. KTM 500 EXC, BMW F 650 GS (800), YAMMY 225 XT & TTR 125. Proverbs 25:24 Shut up and Ride!
PlatedDirtBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:48 PM   #13
Rufjeep
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 384
I'm using the Corbin flat seat for the KLR and like it a lot.
Rufjeep is offline   Reply With Quote