User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2008, 07:32 PM   #1
shocker OP
Sir Flips-Alots Friend

Oddometer: 125
Buell Ulysses Exhaust

Can anyone tell me what they think the best aftermarket exhaust you can put on an 07 Buell Ulysses. I really don't want to remap unless I have to. If I do have to remap, what do you recommend? Cheapest way to remap?

Jardine? D and D? Drummer? etc?

Thanks
Old 09-19-2008, 08:28 PM   #2
thisflatearth
Pro-Commuter

Oddometer: 936
I still have the stock on mine but I did read through this the other night, lots of info on all available systems. I test rode a Uly with a Jardine and it was to loud and didn't seem to add anything over my stocker, other than noise.

ftp://ftp.americansportbike.com/outg...est_Report.zip

front page, download the file and read and listen to all the goodness
thisflatearth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 07:17 AM   #3
shocker OP
Sir Flips-Alots Friend

I saw that article and its good; however, it doesn't really say if you need to remap. The Jardine is loud. I don't really care if I get any performance increase from the pipe. All I care is it sounds good, not REALLY loud and that I don't get any driveability problems. I put pipes on my SV1000s and did nothing to the ecm and it ran perfect. The Buell seems to have even better control over the engine but I keep hearing you have to remap or wind up getting idle issues, flat spots, etc. The guy at Drummer really seems to know his shit and I believe I can send my pipe and my ecm to him. But I don't want to spend the extra money doing the ecm if its not required
Old 09-20-2008, 08:09 AM   #4
firstbatch
Ulysses

Oddometer: 46
I have run both the Drummer and the Buell Race Pipe on my '06. Both perform very well in terms of crisp throttle response and smooth power delivery. The Drummer is deeper and louder than the Race Pipe and at cruise the Drummer for my ear can be a little annoying for the longer ride. Have read great endorsements from others about the Remus and it is good looking albeit expensive.

Try the Drummer as Kevin does know his stuff and is a pleasure to do business with. If it was available the Race Pipe would be the best choice IMHO. Plenty of folks use the Drummer without a Race ECM and get great results.
firstbatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 05:16 PM   #5
shocker OP
Sir Flips-Alots Friend

When you say without the race ecm does that mean remapping the stock ecm? I'm a Buell no0b so please be patient with me.
Old 09-20-2008, 05:40 PM   #6
Motornoggin
Two-Bit Throttle Bum

Oddometer: 20,953
See if you can find a NIB, or nice used Micron Serpent. Great sound, decent power boost and a good 30# lighter. No new ones since they went tits up, but someone may have a new one stashed somewhere.

My Wyoming has an East infection.

http://motornoggin.smugmug.com
Motornoggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 05:45 PM   #7
firstbatch
Ulysses

Oddometer: 46
Talk with Kevin Drummer. He generally does not recommend remapping or purchasing the Buell Race ECM. Be sure to visit the badweather bikers forum for everything Buell and vist the Big Bad and Dirty forum for all your questions about the Uly. It is a great web site and everyone there will be happy to help.
firstbatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 05:47 PM   #8
jdw4748
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Remus

Anyone using the Remus Revolution. Appears its available in the U.S. now.

http://www.remusexhaustshop.com/buel...2_261_263.html

Also wonder if this would solve the 4200 rpm stutter on 2008s

http://www.trojan-horse.co.uk/prods/296.html
jdw4748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 06:15 PM   #9
shocker OP
Sir Flips-Alots Friend

Just read the report mentioned above and it clearly states that none of the pipes in the test should be run with a stock map. I've been quoted about $200 for the map from americansportbikes and $220 if I sent in my stock ecm and they remapped it for the Drummer. The remus wasn't tested but it looks pricey...and I assume another $220 for a remap plus the cost of the pipe.

Decisions decisions
Old 09-21-2008, 04:34 PM   #10
shocker OP
Sir Flips-Alots Friend

So what is the best way to remap a buell ecm? Send it in or buy something to do the remaping like a power commander? Whats the best device for that?
Old 09-21-2008, 08:21 PM   #11
Roostre
Discombobulated

Oddometer: 1,041
Eek I must have gotten a quiet Drummer

I've been running the Drummer for about a year/10K miles. Mine does not sound obnoxious...just has a nice rumble when you really get on it. Nice and mellow when you want it to be.

I have not remapped my ECM and do not see any need to. Recently put together a ECMspy cable so I can do my own TPS resets. As tempting as it is to "fool" around with the mapping, I can't bring myself to do it. The bike runs great as-is.
Roostre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 07:27 AM   #12
Red_Chili
Fresh Ground

Oddometer: 2,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by shocker
So what is the best way to remap a buell ecm? Send it in or buy something to do the remaping like a power commander? Whats the best device for that?
Take a look at www.xoptiinside.com, Mike Cobb. Mike is a little "written word challenged", but a VERY good tuner. Essentially, a remap costs a donation to his site, plus the cost of an ECMSpy cable, and the free software and driver downloads.

Not only does my Uly run better (with my homemade pipe, quieter than a Drummer et al, and tunable/spark arrested, and nicer sound than stock with better breathing) but it runs cooler too.
'97 KDX 220 for woods work
SMUGMUG COUPON RSKbiM6oytjtw, save some money and have a great online picture gallery!
Red_Chili is offline   Reply With Quote