User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2004, 03:59 PM   #1
mogwai OP
humorless prick

Oddometer: 4,339
Back on a KLR

I owned a KLR650 about 5 years ago and just bought a new 03 this weekend. Rode my first 15 miles to work this morning; still in break-in mode.

What a difference from other bikes! Even in putt-putt mode, my grin was ear to ear. Light, nimble, what a blast!!

Sorry I left the fold, glad to be back.

I kept the FZ01 for long distance touring, etc., but may advertise for sale. We'll see.
Old 04-07-2004, 05:07 PM   #2
yeti
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Congrads. on the KLR. I still have my '94. I bought an '04 1150 adv. and couldn't stand to part with the KLR. It's always been a great bike. It's got about 12K very HARD miles on it and has never given me any serious trouble.

I mostly ride the Beemer now but when I do break out the KLR I always get that same grin you mentioned.
Old 04-07-2004, 06:19 PM   #3
The Fist
Knulp

Oddometer: 3,589
Sounds great...

Myself and few buddies are gonna have to come up and see ya...

My family owns a house in Minocqua (actually Lac de Flambeau) so we should meeet up and hit the trails/fire roads !!
The Fist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 06:47 PM   #4
McD
Nothing

Oddometer: 1,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fist
Sounds great...

Myself and few buddies are gonna have to come up and see ya...

My family owns a house in Minocqua (actually Lac de Flambeau) so we should meeet up and hit the trails/fire roads !!
Fist, I'm gonna do the lake michigan loop at least twice this summer. Let me know if you'd be interested in joining us. A friend from work has a farm we could camp on near Spaulding (UP).

McD
McD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 09:08 PM   #5
The Fist
Knulp

Oddometer: 3,589
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMcD
Fist, I'm gonna do the lake michigan loop at least twice this summer. Let me know if you'd be interested in joining us. A friend from work has a farm we could camp on near Spaulding (UP).

McD
Of course Id be interested...

any route in particular ?
The Fist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 10:13 PM   #6
Ostrich
Jaded and Happy

Oddometer: 8,731
congrats on the new ride. Hope she gives you many happy adventure miles. Wait to sell the FZ until after the newness of the KLR wears off. I am sure that you might want to experience the 100 hp blasts again from time to time.

Just because it's a zoo out there doesn't mean you have to view it from a cage!

Don't be an impulse buyer... afterall you have time..
Ostrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 06:30 AM   #7
Bart
Constant Lurker

Oddometer: 2,955
KLR Purchase

Congrats Mog,

I just bought one last weekend too. A 2000 with 25 000 very soft miles on it. She had better be ready for the ass whippin I will give her now. I took it for a good dirt ride the day after I bought it, de-virginised it by dropping it in the mud and breaking a mirror.

Drif and I now have it tore apart and I am doing some mods and maintenance.

So far it is a blast. When the saddle bags and all are added it will be making the trip to Hot Springs.

See ya there,

Bart
Old 04-08-2004, 06:42 AM   #8
pilot
Slacker Moderator

Oddometer: 31,288
Congrats Mog! Now the fun begins. Accessories! Have you picked out all the good stuff yet?

I first had sex at the age of 13. However, my butt hurt so bad I never did it again.
- Mista Vern
pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 07:52 AM   #9
mogwai OP
humorless prick

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot
Congrats Mog! Now the fun begins. Accessories! Have you picked out all the good stuff yet?
Gonna hold off for a couple minutes on some things.

It needs gel grips, fork brace, maybe better brakes. But the offroad mods that you hardcore types use might be wasted on the likes of me.

Touring stuff...I can slap a Givi Tail bag on it with current inventory. ditto a tank bag and tank panniers. Will eventually get Happy Trails NW racks, not sure when.

First, I need to loctite all the nuts and bolts that are loose and buy replacement hardware for the stuff that's already fallen off. It's shedding nuts and bolts like a tree sheds leaves.

And Ostrich, good idea to wait for the newness to wear off. Hadn't thought of that.
Old 04-09-2004, 07:56 AM   #10
Ostrich
Jaded and Happy

Oddometer: 8,731
Quote:
Originally Posted by mogwai
Gonna hold off for a couple minutes on some things.

It needs gel grips, fork brace, maybe better brakes. But the offroad mods that you hardcore types use might be wasted on the likes of me.

Touring stuff...I can slap a Givi Tail bag on it with current inventory. ditto a tank bag and tank panniers. Will eventually get Happy Trails NW racks, not sure when.

First, I need to loctite all the nuts and bolts that are loose and buy replacement hardware for the stuff that's already fallen off. It's shedding nuts and bolts like a tree sheds leaves.

And Ostrich, good idea to wait for the newness to wear off. Hadn't thought of that.

In the mean time you might want to make sure the FZ1 is winterized so you don't have to do carb work if you decide to sell it. DAMHIK

Just because it's a zoo out there doesn't mean you have to view it from a cage!

Don't be an impulse buyer... afterall you have time..
Ostrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2004, 07:51 AM   #11
driller
Twist and Go

Oddometer: 1,238
I'm on the "junior version" of the KLR (250) and like you I am having a totally warped level of fun. I took my VTR Superhawk out of the basement yesterday and forgot you don't need to twist the throttle as hard After nearly busting a nut going over the frost heaves I came back to the house and changed to the KLRjr. Rode to the top of Hurricane Mt. Rd for the view-had to thread my way around the gate (the roads is still closed from winter) . The hawk would have refused that move.
The grin factor is really high on these bikes.
Driller
2011 PCX 125
2006 Fly 150 "BlowFly 200"
driller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 06:39 PM   #12
moosey
Superconcentrated Bitch

Oddometer: 117
Hey Mogwai....you gonna be able to make Enduraid this year? It looks like it will be held in Clark Co. in the Chequamegon. Should be plenty of mud and whatnot in that part of the nortwuds. Welcome to the dark side!!
moosey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 10:30 AM   #13
mogwai OP
humorless prick

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosey
Hey Mogwai....you gonna be able to make Enduraid this year? It looks like it will be held in Clark Co. in the Chequamegon. Should be plenty of mud and whatnot in that part of the nortwuds. Welcome to the dark side!!
Cool! But make sure Robin keeps the whiskey away from me.
Old 04-13-2004, 03:04 PM   #14
moosey
Superconcentrated Bitch

Oddometer: 117
What fun would that be??? The sounds of gut-wrenching hurling nicely complements the wild call of the loon. I'll PM you if I make an exploratory trip to that neck of the woods some weekend in May, maybe hook up for a day ride.
moosey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 02:48 PM   #15
worm~hole1
I'm mentally mortarded.

Oddometer: 120
I don't think I'll ever part from my '03 KLR650 anytime soon...unless Kawasaki comes up with something better...I have too many bikes, not enough time to ride, and need to simplify, though...unload the ZX-12R and the KLX400SR...my just-about-perfect garage in my dreams would consist of the my KLR, my 625SXC, a 950, and maybe a 525EXC...ok, maybe a 625SMC, too...see what I mean?...but the KLR650 will always have a place in the stable if I end up with just one bike...it just about does it all for me

I ended up installing Galfer's 320mm front disc kit, Happy Trails K9 forkbrace, Galfer brake pads, SS brake lines, subframe bolt kit, the doohickey mod, bar risers, IMS pegs, CR bars, bar snakes, grips, and did my own valve adjustment....all these made for a better street bike that was a blast down in Baja. Looking to mount 606s, rim-locks, heavier springs, better shock, and a Jardine slip-on and carb tune. This thing's a blast!

worm~hole1 screwed with this post 04-14-2004 at 02:55 PM
worm~hole1 is offline   Reply With Quote