User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2004, 08:21 AM   #1
Gordy OP
Team Listo

Oddometer: 20,733
Removing the CAT on a F650

It's raining non stop, so I went for the C-section on the 650.

Pull the pipes off. Don't try this with them on the bike.

Here is the cut out showing the catalytic converter. That thing has got to be restrictive.

I was abe to use a cut-off wheel on two of the cuts, but had to torch the two short ones. Notice how the metal melted and didn't cut very clean.

If you have access to a plasma cutter, I would try that.

You have to melt that SOB out. It will not cut!

Here it is on the floor:

All put back together. If you take some time, and do a neater cut, the patch will be a lot nicer, but it is re-mounted to the inside, and you can't see it.

Gordy
Gordy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2004, 06:05 PM   #2
Ostrich
Jaded and Happy

Oddometer: 8,731
And the results are?

Just because it's a zoo out there doesn't mean you have to view it from a cage!

Don't be an impulse buyer... afterall you have time..
Ostrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2004, 06:35 PM   #3
twsiv
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 106
Gordy, Wow! That looks like a lot of work. What is the purpose? Damn and I'm stressing over fork seals and you melted the can and put it back together.
Old 04-04-2004, 03:02 PM   #4
Gordy OP
Team Listo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ostrich
And the results are?
Can't tell you yet Ostrich. It WILL NOT quit raining here. We have had about 4 inches of rain in 3 days! We usually get around 12 inches all year.

It seems to sound a little better, but again, I can't tell just yet. I mostly did it because I don't want the damn thing plugging up from cheap gas out in the middle of nowhere, and it should run cooler so it won't melt soft luggage.

I should have taken a temp reading before I did it. I can always take one now and someone with the CAT can post what they are getting.

Gordy
Old 04-04-2004, 03:13 PM   #5
Ostrich
Jaded and Happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordy
Can't tell you yet Ostrich. It WILL NOT quit raining here. We have had about 4 inches of rain in 3 days! We usually get around 12 inches all year.

It seems to sound a little better, but again, I can't tell just yet. I mostly did it because I don't want the damn thing plugging up from cheap gas out in the middle of nowhere, and it should run cooler so it won't melt soft luggage.

I should have taken a temp reading before I did it. I can always take one now and someone with the CAT can post what they are getting.

Gordy
Sorry about the rain.

Keep us posted on the results. Are you sure that won't screw up the FI?

Old 04-04-2004, 03:20 PM   #6
Gordy OP
Team Listo

It shouldn't srew up the FI. Lots of 650 owners have went to aftermarket pipes that completely replace the OEM cat and muffler. As soon as I have a day on it, I'll re-post.

Gordy
Old 04-04-2004, 03:21 PM   #7
Ostrich
Jaded and Happy

Quote:
It shouldn't srew up the FI. Lots of 650 owners have went to aftermarket pipes that completely replace the OEM cat and muffler. As soon as I have a day on it, I'll re-post.

Gordy
Thanks man.

Old 04-13-2004, 12:22 PM   #8
ThreePly
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Stop Raining Yet?

Quote:

Gordy
So did it ever stop raining? If so what were the results?
Old 04-14-2004, 07:20 PM   #9
Gordy OP
Team Listo

Yeah it stopped raining, and then started again! Wind is in this weekends forecast. I have not been able to go on an extended ride yet, but it does sound better, and it seems like it has better snap off the bottom. But better sound always seems like more power. I don't have the temperature results yet either. I am going ot take my temp gun on a ride with some guys that still have the cat, so that will give us some good A-B readings.

I did put some Jesse bags on this week. Jeez....the little 650 seems big with them on.

Gordy
Old 04-14-2004, 08:37 PM   #10
Frank Warner
Traveller

Oddometer: 6,593
Yer can send that rain down here.

As for a neater cut .. try a hacksaw next time. That will get you two nice small lines perpendicular to the pipe axis (if your careful) then maybe a angle grinder with a metal cut off wheel to do the cuts parallel to the pipe axis.

Would it be possible to cut a section that covers the cat .. so it can simply be removed by pulling it out side ways through the cut section? That way you’re not destroying the cat .. and releasing any harmful thingys into the air you're a beathin.
Frank Warner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 09:15 PM   #11
Gordy OP
Team Listo

Who cares what I'm breathing? Do yo know why men die before their wives.........

because they want to!!!
Old 04-14-2004, 10:27 PM   #12
twsiv
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 106
Quote:
Who cares what I'm breathing? Do yo know why men die before their wives.........

because they want to!!!
Gordy, that's the old way. At least here in Texas we have no fault divorce and no alimony , so you can just trade her in for a newer, younger, firmer model.