Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > The Garage
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-24-2008, 06:17 AM   #61
dirty_sanchez
Dirty_Sanchez

Oddometer: 2,659
Reading Grider Pirates awesome trick reminded me of the time I was out travelling on my grand summer walkabouts outside of Cherokee, NC.

At this point my '86 Honda Accord (1st year with the flip up headlights) had about 150k on the clock. I was heading down some twisty blacktop state highway and the car just died. I coasted for maybe another mile or so and happened to pull into an old abandoned gas station with the old timey gas pumps.

Engines need Fuel, Air, and Spark to run- also a handy thing to teach a 10 year old when his dirtbike doesn't start.

Air Filter was good, I pulled a plug, and we had spark, I pulled the fuel line as it entered the carb gave her a crunk and all was dry.

Then I started tracing the fuel line back to the gas tank area and found the fuel pump. The fuel pump fuse was fine and I was getting power to it as confirmed by a multi-meter. I found the problem, the fuel pump crapped out.

I knew the only way I could get to civilization was to call a tow truck, but I'd have to thumb a ride or walk to the next town (pre cell phone days) or figure out a way to get the fuel up to the carb. Then the idea to use the air pressure generated by my trusty old floor standing bike tire pump to move the fuel came to me.

Well, it worked. The fuel line was that hard rubber just soft enough that I could push the end of the line up against the valve stem clamp on the pump. I held the two pieces together, pumped and heard a little squeek.

Right at that point, mid-pump, an wise old-timer pulled up in his seasoned old truck and asked if I needed help. I filled him in on the situation and he wanted to know, "Sonny, Why in the devil are you using a bicycle pump to start that Jap car". Where I told him that I suspected the fuel pump had gone south.

The car started much to my surprise. I was back in business.

The old-timer stood there shaking his head, saying that I would be just fine and started down the road again.

I had to repeat this process about a dozen times that afternoon, but I made it into the next little town, which wasn't that far and bought a fits-all fuel pump and wired it up and drove another 10,000 miles that summer.

Dirty

dirty_sanchez screwed with this post 10-25-2008 at 03:52 AM
dirty_sanchez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 07:44 PM   #62
atokad
wan⋅der⋅lust

Oddometer: 2,393
9 volt battery and a nice clean piece of steel wool

Make one hell of a fire!

Nice survival gear if you need to start a fire. About 10 years or more ago my son told me he'd seen that on the show. Well I set out to prove him that "stuff on TV is not always true" and as it turned out, this one is true.

Try this at your own risk, you've been warned.
atokad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 12:17 AM   #63
johnjen
Mod-U-Later

Oddometer: 15,194
So it's been suggested that this be stickied. Which I will do. And if it continues to add the good stuff, I'll wait till it ceases activity, then add it to the Hall of Wisdom.

JJ
Old 10-27-2008, 09:05 AM   #64
Grider Pirate
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,686
Not really a McGyver....

I used to have one of those neat tanks you hang on a stand and feed gas to that bike you're working on with the tank off. Like when you're syncing carbs, etc. Age, or too many moves disappeared it. I needed to sync the carbs on my kid's CB750, and didn't have it, so I used a cheap, small capacity GARDEN SPRAYER instead. I replaced the external tubing with fuel lne. A couple strokes of the pump gives enough pressure to deliver the fuel, and not enough to squish brass floats.
BTW, I've see several brass floats smashed by people blowing compressed air into the overflow of a carb. Bad idea.

http://griderpirate.smugmug.com/
http://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhum
Grider Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 01:52 PM   #65
Skippii
Hookers, my lad.

Oddometer: 6,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty_sanchez
Reading Grider Pirates awesome trick reminded me of the time I was out travelling on my grand summer walkabouts outside of Cherokee, NC.

At this point my '86 Honda Accord (1st year with the flip up headlights) had about 150k on the clock. I was heading down some twisty blacktop state highway and the car just died. I coasted for maybe another mile or so and happened to pull into an old abandoned gas station with the old timey gas pumps.

Engines need Fuel, Air, and Spark to run- also a handy thing to teach a 10 year old when his dirtbike doesn't start.

Air Filter was good, I pulled a plug, and we had spark, I pulled the fuel line as it entered the carb gave her a crunk and all was dry.

Then I started tracing the fuel line back to the gas tank area and found the fuel pump. The fuel pump fuse was fine and I was getting power to it as confirmed by a multi-meter. I found the problem, the fuel pump crapped out.

I knew the only way I could get to civilization was to call a tow truck, but I'd have to thumb a ride or walk to the next town (pre cell phone days) or figure out a way to get the fuel up to the carb. Then the idea to use the air pressure generated by my trusty old floor standing bike tire pump to move the fuel came to me.

Well, it worked. The fuel line was that hard rubber just soft enough that I could push the end of the line up against the valve stem clamp on the pump. I held the two pieces together, pumped and heard a little squeek.

Right at that point, mid-pump, an wise old-timer pulled up in his seasoned old truck and asked if I needed help. I filled him in on the situation and he wanted to know, "Sonny, Why in the devil are you using a bicycle pump to start that Jap car". Where I told him that I suspected the fuel pump had gone south.

The car started much to my surprise. I was back in business.

The old-timer stood there shaking his head, saying that I would be just fine and started down the road again.

I had to repeat this process about a dozen times that afternoon, but I made it into the next little town, which wasn't that far and bought a fits-all fuel pump and wired it up and drove another 10,000 miles that summer.

Dirty

I was under the impression that all cars sold after 1985 in the USA used EFI, not carbs.
Old 10-28-2008, 02:44 PM   #66
dirty_sanchez
Dirty_Sanchez

Oddometer: 2,659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippii
I was under the impression that all cars sold after 1985 in the USA used EFI, not carbs.
I had the mid-line "LX" version that shared the same carb'ed mill as the "DX" . The same car in high trim level had the injected engine.

Dirty
Old 10-28-2008, 08:12 PM   #67
tacodriver
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
I have used wood sticks wittled down and threaded in to replace caps that have unthreaded them selves on the side of a thumper case. I leave them long and use a leatherman to to turn them in and then cut off the excess leaving enought to put a slot in and untread when the proper part is ordered.
tacodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 11:28 AM   #68
DirtKnob
Dirt Knob

Oddometer: 153
Laugh Macgyver Moment

I have a lot of Macgyverish stuff on my GS:

(1) My Panniers, I made them myself, I'm also using Moto-Sport pannier's Mounting rack and I didn't like the way they support the rack from underneath so I made my own 'Bridge' support between the Pannier mounts. I also use Beech bags for box liners. (2) My Gas Tank Cover, I made that too, with Logo windows. (3) I'm using bicycle handlebar bags for Tank panniers. (4) As you can see the Bicycle mount, It's a simple mount held down with two screws and the trunk mount bar, it works as if it was on a Quad wheel vehicle. (5) My aux driving lights and mount, Lights bought at an auto accessory store and a piece of aluminum bar stock mounted with the fender bolts. (6) My locking tool tray cover made with a reflective 24 hour parking sign. (7) A handle bar cross bar pad cover made with a Craftsman tool roll with the Craftsman logo. (8) My front turn signals are held together with staight Bic pen bodies, split film canisters and Zip ties; they've been that way for years. (9) My power socket for my tank bag, I have a quick disconnect behind my accessory socket. (10) I had to fabricate new mounts for my Touratech wind screen spoiler.

The great thing about a GS bike is that you can do these things.

"Do you know how the Orcs came into being? They were Elves once. Taken by the Dark Powers, Tortured and Mutilated; a Ruined and Terrible form of life and now Perfected. My fighting Uruk-Hai !! Whom do you serve?"
Quote from the Lord of the Rings.

Later Scott G a.k.a. Dirt Knob
Attached Images

DirtKnob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 01:51 PM   #69
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Oddometer: 6,308
A length of anchor rope tied to both sides of a V6 200HP outboard long enough to go around my back so that I could use my legs strength to push on the transom to steer our 20' salt water boat back to the launch after the steering cable shit the nest and had to be disconnected.
86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7
fritzcoinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 08:40 AM   #70
mung
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 523
Hole in case

When you clip a rock with your cases if it is not to big a hole you can cut off a side knob from the front or rear tire depending on what size you need to fill the hole.Trim knob shape to fit hole and clean area and epoxy in place.I fixed an xr250 2 or3 years ago and it is still holding.Mung
mung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 02:24 PM   #71
Grider Pirate
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,686
Quote:
Originally Posted by mung
When you clip a rock with your cases if it is not to big a hole you can cut off a side knob from the front or rear tire depending on what size you need to fill the hole.Trim knob shape to fit hole and clean area and epoxy in place.I fixed an xr250 2 or3 years ago and it is still holding.Mung
That's a good one to remember! Thanks!

http://griderpirate.smugmug.com/
http://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhum
Grider Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 08:23 PM   #72
demononthebrakes
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,189
When ya cant find the safety goggles! Not OSHA approved BTW and do NOT attempt this as a welders mask substitute!
Attached Images

Old 11-12-2008, 10:48 AM   #73
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,295
Quote:
Originally Posted by demononthebrakes
When ya cant find the safety goggles! Not OSHA approved BTW and do NOT attempt this as a welders mask substitute!
Next time, try rotating the grinder so that you are flinging debris away from you, not toward you.
Old 11-12-2008, 05:32 PM   #74
demononthebrakes
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,189
Well why dont I stop riding motorcycles too because thats a safe idea as well!
Old 11-13-2008, 06:48 AM   #75
nedodjija
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 649
Engineers

I loved that guy. Macgyiver or whatever his name was. He was the only super hero who was an engineer. We engineers don't get enough credit. Most of the population thiks that we ate just geeks (probably true).
Anyway, one of my moments was when I used a splinter of wood and jamed it into my moped tire in order to plug the hole and blow the tire back up at the gas station.
nedodjija is offline   Reply With Quote