User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2013, 06:21 PM   #841
SQD8R
Eat squids and be merry

Oddometer: 7,363

My favourite.
Married men don't live longer, it just seems longer.
Sour grapes are a lesser man's fruit.
SQD8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 07:01 PM   #842
willfreely
Elderly Beligerant

Oddometer: 394
Many years ago I was driving a VW bus back from Berkley where I had deposited a ladyfriend at the university for the schoolyear. It was her dad's microbus, and somewhere north of LA on a Sunday evening, I felt the gas pedal go down to the floor and idled the VW off the freeway. Trapped in a light industrial area, I had to bum a ride to the nearby Howard Johnson's and make the call to her old man in Orange County.
He showed up an hour and a half later with a full trunk of tools and we went to where the downed van was. After determining it was a broken throttle cable, he was at his wit's end, not having the part. I was young and mechanically unendowed, but I noticed the throttle cable was attached to a dingus on the carb that was just behind the license plate bolt. While he watched in disbelief, I unbolted that side of the license plate, ran a triple wide length of string I tied to the carb, through the bolt hole, up through the unlatched back window and down the length of the van. Able to hand operate the gas by pulling the string, I drove the van the last leg of California to his home in Anaheim.
The dick followed me all the way and criticized me for going too fast. I told him two out of three strands had snapped eventually and I just wanted the day over with.
That was the beginning of my mechanical matriculation.
willfreely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:06 PM   #843
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,534
Quote:
Originally Posted by willfreely View Post
While he watched in disbelief, I unbolted that side of the license plate, ran a triple wide length of string I tied to the carb, through the bolt hole, up through the unlatched back window and down the length of the van. Able to hand operate the gas by pulling the string, I drove the van the last leg of California to his home in Anaheim.
The dick followed me all the way and criticized me for going too fast. I told him two out of three strands had snapped eventually and I just wanted the day over with.
Next time, if you have enough length, braid the strands for extra strength.
troidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:49 AM   #844
willfreely
Elderly Beligerant

Oddometer: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by troidus View Post
Next time, if you have enough length, braid the strands for extra strength.
This was 35 years ago. Now I'd probably leave it to AAA. Or AA.
willfreely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:16 AM   #845
davsato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 799
worked on a suzuki DR650, might for other bikes too

sump plug unwound and disappeared, spare spark plug goes straight in the hole
Old 05-15-2013, 06:55 PM   #846
leakypetcock
Adventurer

Oddometer: 573
Sand into base of portable basketball hoop.

Ever try pouring wet, clumpy sand through a 1.5" hole to put weight into the base of a portable hoop? Here's what I just did. Cut a 2 liter soda bottle into a funnel, stick in in the hole. Pop out the other cap in the base (mine had two) and attach your shop vac. Turn on the vac and start scooping sand into the funnel! The vacuum creates a...vacuum in the base, sucking the sand inside. I had to stop periodically and tilt/shake the hoop to distribute the sand but it worked great, I just stuck the vacuum hose right in to the second hole, without protruding too far and it didn't even pick up the sand.
Viola, 150 Lbs of sand inside the base of the hoop.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:34 PM   #847
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,595
I fixed a snapped throttle cable on a BMW car with a universal battery terminal. I cut the round end of the terminal that fits the large top post of the battery. This left a bar of lead where the battery cable was to be held by a steel plate bolted to the lead bar. I put one end of the broken cable on one side of the space for the battery cable and the other end of the cable in the other end. Tightening the plate held the broken ends in place.

This was late at night in front of the Watergate Hotel in Washington, DC. for a customer about 25 years ago. He had two good looking babes with him and complained when I charged him $25. That was about how much a tow truck would've cost then.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 02:48 PM   #848
ibafran
villagidiot

Oddometer: 1,284
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThadeusVenture View Post
I'm sure this is already on here somewhere, but next time you are at a catered breakfast/corporate meeting/morning seminar/etc. where coffee is served in one of those big box carriers . . .

Save the silvery bag on the inside, and wash it out well. Fold and save in your emergency kit. These make a good emergency gas can when you run out of juice and have to hike to a gas station.
While it is an essentially good idea, there are some cautions. 1- The caps are notoriously leaky and weak. 2- Pouring fuel into/out of a "bag" is way more tricky than one might suspect. Ergo, practice using the bag with water until one has some ability before trying it with fuel. The bags are surprizingly tough but the caps are weak. I filled a bag with water and wailed on it and threw it around trying to break it when I first heard about this. The bag never broke but the caps failed plenty. Finding a good, strong sealing, replacement cap is difficult. The threads are not common to very many caps. Caps from certain anti-freeze containers fit well.
Old 05-25-2013, 05:37 PM   #849
westerlywinds
Two Wheels-Ride it

Oddometer: 165
mcgivers

Years ago while moving from Colorado to Connecticut in my 1948 Chevy 2 ton truck filled with my everything,the old carbon center coil wire gave out. I thought of robbing one plug wire and running five cylinders to the next town then I went over and cut 18" out of Mr Farmers fence put small loops in the ends bent it into shape to go from coil to distributor plugged it in and went about 40 miles to the parts store for new wires. When I was heading back to colorado in the same truck I put a new (used ) 250 six in the truck.Everything was all 6 volt so I put six volt generator on engine I couldn't use the 6 volt starter I kept the 12 volt starter added another battery holder under the hood taped a solar charger onto the roof and was ready I had battery to start for about two months. Once when I slept in a truck stop I put my multi meter on the battery I was getting 4 milli-amps from the big lights.
westerlywinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 09:10 AM   #850
Zombie_Stomp
Aspiring human

Oddometer: 2,231
Wicked Ready to rock

My band headlined a show where the drummer failed to contact me until we were about to go on. I called him up finally after several texts and he answers in a sleepy voice. He fell asleep after work! We had to give him and the snare drum and cymbal to the show, but the cymbal stand was missing! I grabbed a straight microphone stand, roll of duct tape and a shop rag. I taped the screwdriver, tip up, to the mic stand and stabbed the shop rag onto it in lieu of felt pads. Ready to rock! It worked. And yes, this belongs in the garage, because my band belongs in the garage :-P

I do heavy-duty textile repair, upholstery, and design/manufacture bags.
Zombie_Stomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 02:51 PM   #851
Oldschoolorange
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
I disassembled forks, cleaned up and replaced seals about a month ago on my klr. the new seals I put in were old and hard, I did not have access to new ones at the time and was in a hurry so I used them anyways. By the end of the week they were both leaking. I purchased new seals and used a bicycle pump to put enough air into the shocks to pop the old seals out. Jam new ones on and top up fluid. 2 fork seals in less than an hour.
Oldschoolorange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 02:12 PM   #852
Mgbgt89
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,509
I was riding in my car a few weeks ago (girlfriend was the sober driver) and the passenger side window regulator decided that it was retiring from its duties. It fell in a very hilarious manner, especially to the car full of people who all but the driver, were well over the legal limit. Perfect timing. This car is always ready to provide a laugh.

Luckily ford was thoughtful enough to provide you with an inspection window, to access the inside of the door without the hassle of removing the door panel. It makes it a bit drafty, but was handy in this instance. Looped a cam lock strap under the glass, up over the door frame. Bam! Instant window regulator. Works better than the day i bought the car.

Mgbgt89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 04:51 AM   #853
trailer Rails
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,667
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgbgt89 View Post
I was riding in my car a few weeks ago (girlfriend was the sober driver) and the passenger side window regulator decided that it was retiring from its duties. It fell in a very hilarious manner, especially to the car full of people who all but the driver, were well over the legal limit. Perfect timing. This car is always ready to provide a laugh.

Luckily ford was thoughtful enough to provide you with an inspection window, to access the inside of the door without the hassle of removing the door panel. It makes it a bit drafty, but was handy in this instance. Looped a cam lock strap under the glass, up over the door frame. Bam! Instant window regulator. Works better than the day i bought the car.
My work van has two bad regulators. It is pretty annoying.
I think your fix is going to leak a bit when it rains.
trailer Rails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 06:00 AM   #854
tgeliot
Topher

Oddometer: 1,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailer Rails View Post
Might cause some rust!
1) Coroner's report is to read "Death by misadventure."
2) Dixieland jazz band at my funeral.
tgeliot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 08:52 AM   #855
Mgbgt89
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailer Rails View Post
This car already leaks like crazy through all the rust holes, one more leak isn't going to hurt it.
Mgbgt89 is offline   Reply With Quote