Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > The Garage
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2008, 09:05 PM   #91
AUS CRUZER
Lets Cruz

Oddometer: 2,409
Once punced small hole in fuel tank with a rock.Wrapped a condom around a stick and jammed it in the hole.Rubber swelled up and sealed it perfectly.

Moral of the story never leave home without protection
AUS CRUZER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 06:39 AM   #92
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 9,705
1972; Sand Pits MX at Crazy Horse Canyon off of the El Camino; Hodaka Super Rat. Bike quit with a failed electrical coil. What now?...My buddy rewired the lighting coil to spark the plug. Made the 2nd moto. The guy is a genious...
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 05:19 PM   #93
dukedinner
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 323
Not on my bike but on my small 79 Datsun pickup in just outside of FU__king Nowhere. The rough road had caused all the crap in the fuel tank to clog the fuel filter. So I made a fuel filter out of a small Robertson's jam jar (dumped the jam first) by punching two small holes through the lid and sticking two Bic Pens into the openings with some of my wife's nylon stocking wrapped around each one so the tank crap would not clog stuff up further. Taped it all together, attached the carb and tank hoses, and drove out 143km to civilization. When I opened the hood to put in a proper filter, the Bic Pens had melted inside the jam jar into a globular mess...but hey it worked!
dukedinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 05:02 PM   #94
Joeyb
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
I once used my trusty leatherman to cut an empty baked bean can into a cylinrical "C" and wrapped it around a broken in half muffler and secured it by twitching (leatherman again) half a coat hanger around each end. This was in Alice Springs Australia, it lasted about 10,000kms before I decided I had pushed my luch far enough.
Joeyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 03:37 AM   #95
upweekis
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,131
Saw a guy come down off a mountain in Montana in an old jeep with an enema bag dripping gas into the carb. Didn't ask where he got the bag...
upweekis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 02:09 PM   #96
Spam16v
Squid Rocket

Oddometer: 781
blown lower radiator hose on a military humvee, split the entire 10 inch length and came apart. 20oz pop bottle, entire tube of rtv inside the layers of hose, wrapped the bottle around it and used a couple hundred zip ties to hold it all together and let it dry for a few hours before installing and filling. it held the entire month and a half in ft polk for training....
Spam16v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 08:10 PM   #97
DELTATANGO
Motorcyclist and Dog Walk

Oddometer: 13,410
Broken axle extractor

My friend in college a LONG time ago broke the axle on his MG. He got a new one and was about to take the cover off to get the broken piece out. I suggested making an electromagnet out of the new axle and pulling the piece out with it. It worked like a charm.
DELTATANGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 08:13 PM   #98
DELTATANGO
Motorcyclist and Dog Walk

Oddometer: 13,410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spam16v
blown lower radiator hose on a military humvee, split the entire 10 inch length and came apart. 20oz pop bottle, entire tube of rtv inside the layers of hose, wrapped the bottle around it and used a couple hundred zip ties to hold it all together and let it dry for a few hours before installing and filling. it held the entire month and a half in ft polk for training....

Did you leave the radiator cap off?

A pressurized cooling system is not necessary.

DELTATANGO screwed with this post 01-27-2009 at 07:07 AM
DELTATANGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 12:13 PM   #99
stevets
Dirt Rider

Oddometer: 225
If you need to change a coolant hose and do not want to drain the coolant - remove the radiator cap and reinstall it with a plastic bag under it - plain sanwich bag works great - it stops the air from entering the cooling system and keeps most of the coolant in the system - some will leak out when you remove the hose, but not much - just put a small pan under the bike to catch it - but most of the coolant stays in the bike - don't forget to remove the plastic bag when done
stevets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 05:49 PM   #100
Creekrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
My wife and I were riding in MI and were on a scenic road going around a curve and hit some sand and down we went. The shifter sheared off at the portion that you pull up with your toe. After scratching my head for awhile I came up with using the largest allen wrench I had and zipp tied it on and then wrapped it with electrical tape. It ended up getting us home after 6 hrs of riding. All misc bolts and JB Weld would not have worked but just an allen wrench and zip ties saved the day.

07 DL1000
03 KLR650
01 DRZ400S
Creekrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 05:29 PM   #101
Spam16v
Squid Rocket

Oddometer: 781
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeputyTom
Did you leave the radiator cap off?

A pressurized cooling system is not necessary.
yeah i put it on, held pressure, part came in a few days later, gave it to the crew to change if it exploded on them, never did.... Ft Polk got hot too.
Spam16v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 03:45 PM   #102
Jonex
zipper suited sun god

Oddometer: 1,357
Not motorcycle related, but....

Needed to form the leading edge skins for my airplane's wings out of .025" 6061T6. Too lazy and cheap to build a giant wooden press brake like others before me had done, plus I didn't wanna drill holes in my garage floor for the anchors needed to do it.

I clamped the aluminum sheets down to my workbench with a piece of black gas pipe at the bend line, wrapped the whole deal in a plastic drop cloth, and sucked the aluminum around the pipe with my shop vac.

Worked awesome. Perfect radius, no kinking, cost nothing.
Jonex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 06:46 PM   #103
bpw
r65 PD

Oddometer: 195
The small circular spring that holds the brush against the generator on my BMW /2 touched a grounded part of the engine and wound up glowing red hot. This cause the steel to lose its temper and stop behaving as a spring.

I was able to re-temper the metal in a parking lot with my lighter and a puddle. Lasted for the thousand miles it took me to get to colorado and still going strong now (keep meaning to replace it).
Old 02-13-2009, 02:19 PM   #104
PaulRS
Dutch fool

Oddometer: 701
On our last trip the swingarm bolts of my mate's bike came loose.
Forgot to bring the 'special-tool' and the sidecar's subframe is in the way, I adjusted the rh bolt as close as possible and tightened the lh with a borrowed spanner.

To keep the rh bolt in place, I locked it with an Allan key and some Ty-raps to the frame tube.

It held for the way home, some 1200 km.

Paul.
PaulRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 02:57 PM   #105
dirty_sanchez
Dirty_Sanchez

Oddometer: 2,497
Quote:
Originally Posted by upweekis
Saw a guy come down off a mountain in Montana in an old jeep with an enema bag dripping gas into the carb. Didn't ask where he got the bag...
You sure he wasn't up there making Haggis? I've heard of being prepared, but an enema bag?

I've used a beer can to dribble gas into the throat of an old clapped-out 8 horse Briggs powred G0-Devil rig to get us out of the swamp.

Beer, gotta be prepared you know!

Dirty