ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2008, 07:19 PM   #1
damasovi OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,476
Is April too soon for Yosemite ?

HI,

I am thinking I would like to do a Spring ride, but I am worry that about passes been close. I know it is impossible to say for sure, because it is weather depend BUT, has any body done this the first week of April?

I have spring break and it would be a very nice ride.

Damasovi
damasovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 08:32 PM   #2
RandyM
Less talk, More ride

Oddometer: 888
Tioga pass will almost certainly be closed the first week of April. It usually opens in either May or June. The roads in the valley should be open.

If you are taking I-5 to I-99, the only other mountain pass is the "Grapevine" just north of LA. It rarely gets closed for snow.

RandyM screwed with this post 09-21-2008 at 08:45 PM
RandyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 10:41 PM   #3
damasovi OP
Beastly Adventurer

This sounds like something doable as far as traveling goes.

I am not planning on taking any off road just the main roads, also I have consider taking one way up and the other way down, I read somewhere that there is at least 1 pass open, threw Yosemite coming from the West to the East. Would the 395 be ok to take on my way south?

Damasovi
Old 09-21-2008, 10:55 PM   #4
Donkey Hotey
De Jo Momma

Oddometer: 9,891
395 is not accessable from Yosemite in Winter. That's Tioga pass leading over to 395 and it will absolutely be closed until at least the end of May.

Glacier point road will also be closed and there will probably be ice on the roads in the shady areas. Best to ride later in the day (not early mornings before ice has thawed).

Your most logical way would be to go in on Highway 41 and out on 120 (to the east). The Sierra Foothills are gorgeous that time of year so you could easily continue the trip north on Highway 49, all the way to Interstate 80.
Donkey Hotey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 09:01 AM   #5
damasovi OP
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks amigos, this is very helpful since I have never riding in this area and during a time when weather is not in full warm mode.

Damasovi
Old 09-22-2008, 10:30 AM   #6
dyvking
ahead of his flamin star

Oddometer: 3,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by damasovi
Thanks amigos, this is very helpful since I have never riding in this area and during a time when weather is not in full warm mode.

Damasovi
You could ride to Yosemite, visit the valley, then go north to Hwy 80 and cross the Sierra at Lake Tahoe.. but that's a long ride. Even at that, Hwy 395 from Lake Tahoe south to Mono Lake can be cold and snowy in April.

As a second choice, April can be a good time to visit Death Valley!
2014 Fitness Goal: hike 1200 miles. Only 765 more to go.
dyvking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 10:43 AM   #7
mtndragon
Traveler

Oddometer: 295
As many have stated, the Sierra can be snowy in April. I have been caught in snow as late as May in the mountains. 395 in April is a day by day thing. Can be cold and snowy or sunny and spring like. The thing that doesn't change about the east side (395) is the straightness. The scenery is spectacular, but you will have a nice flat spot around your tires.
The west side of the Sierra down low would be beautiful that time of year, and from just north of Bakersfield you can cut up, and ride amazing deserted, curvey roads with no line down the middle up to Oakhurst, and then take 49 North or 41 into Yosemite. If you have a gps and need some route advice, let me know and I can send you some tracks. I go north through there several times a year.
mtndragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 03:57 PM   #8
damasovi OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtndragon
If you have a gps and need some route advice, let me know and I can send you some tracks. I go north through there several times a year.
Amigo thanks for the offer, I have Garmin e-trex? (need to find it) and as you can image I don't know how to use it, basically because it is not very good down here in Mexico, just the altitude and stuff like that, no real turn by turn info, so if you send them I will learn how to use them.

Damasovi
Old 09-23-2008, 09:49 AM   #9
BogeyMan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 415
As some have already said, Tioga Pass (Hwy 120) will likely be closed through Memorial Weekend. On a rare, low-snow year, it may open earlier. Sonora Pass (Hwy 108) often opens a little before Tioga since it's not quite as high. A little further to the north is Monitor Pass (Hwy 89).

You can see the historic data for open/closure of the various passes on CalTrans' website.
BogeyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 08:13 PM   #10
crtahoe
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 327
I live in Lake Tahoe and would be careful about planning any trip in the Sierras above 6,000 feet elevation. Even with snow clear there is plenty of black ice to be worried about. Tiaga Pass is definitely closed in April- usually opens end of May unless it was a Monster winter. Stay at lower elevations through the foothills for great riding.
crtahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 09:37 PM   #11
damasovi OP
Beastly Adventurer

CRtahoe man thanks for the advice, I think it is better to wait for teacher's day on May 15th for this trip.... ups I will need a big mother's day gift, lol

Damasovi