User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2008, 09:54 PM   #1
ahoraquemister OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 152
Question Bogota to Buenos aires December 2008

4 friends and I are going to Buenos Aires in a 1 month trip. Does anyone know if its better to go through Bolivia because of the political situation, or better of going through Chile. He hear that going through Chile we have to carry extra gas, because in the desert there arent enough gas stations.

any comments welcomed

ahoraquemister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 03:27 PM   #2
bananaman
transcontimental

Oddometer: 7,056
I skipped Bolivia. In Chile it can be 200 miles between gas stations. I heard that it can be 300 miles, but I turned east and entered Argentina at Jama, after going through San Pedro de Atacama.

In southern Argentina it can also be about 200 miles between gas stations.

It's easy to carry extra fuel.
Old 09-27-2008, 10:21 AM   #3
ahoraquemister OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thumb changed route

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananaman
I skipped Bolivia. In Chile it can be 200 miles between gas stations. I heard that it can be 300 miles, but I turned east and entered Argentina at Jama, after going through San Pedro de Atacama.

In southern Argentina it can also be about 200 miles between gas stations.

It's easy to carry extra fuel.
Thanks!!

Weve replanned the route. We will be going to Desaguadero (border Peru, Bolivia) but turning south west and going into chile. We do want to see the salar de uyuni, so will be entering bolivia from the west.

send me your email and I will send the planned route.

Old 09-28-2008, 12:12 PM   #4
ahoraquemister OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Routes - In Google Earth Bogota Colombia to Chile

This is what we have planned as our routes as seen in google earth.

Bogota To Cuzco Peru
http://bbs.keyhole.com/ubb/showflat....Number/1239897
Quilotoa Loop (not quite) Ecuador
http://bbs.keyhole.com/ubb/showflat....Number/1239896
Alternate Route in Peru
http://bbs.keyhole.com/ubb/showflat....Number/1239898
http://bbs.keyhole.com/ubb/showflat....Number/1239904
Cuzco Peru to Chilean Border
http://bbs.keyhole.com/ubb/showflat....Number/1239900

Old 10-05-2008, 08:32 PM   #5
diucamojada
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Hi
in november I will start a trip from chile to Colombia. maybe we can join to do the route Colombia-Argentina! (my back trip)
if i start in november i should be in december in bogota or medellin!!

and I can share with you tips about the routes I´ve done!!!

send me a PM
(spanish better)

bye
diucamojada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 08:20 AM   #6
kaiserkyhl
Send more money!

Oddometer: 477
Guys, do come see me in Cali ;-)

Take care!
Old 10-12-2008, 10:08 AM   #7
Farioli
"just do it"

Oddometer: 521
Great to see Colombias here ADV

Do not skip Bolivia due to political situation. Newspapers say one thing and the reality is different.

Good luck, your trip will be "La verraquera"

Saludos,

Antonio
2015 Dakar Malles Moto #164

Thanks to my Family & Hunter Industries.

ICO Racing, Motionpro.
Farioli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 09:36 AM   #8
H-Jay
Mo 2 C

Oddometer: 401
Ahoraquemister,

Thanks for sharing your route. Where are you going to enter Boliva from the west to see the Salt Flats?

I'm planning a trip through that area in January. My plan is to go from south from Cusco to La Paz, Bolivia and then on to Uyuni. I'd like an alternative, if its wise to avoid La Paz. Your route looks good but I was wondering if you can easily get to Salar de Uyuni from the west.

Quote:
Thanks!!

Weve replanned the route. We will be going to Desaguadero (border Peru, Bolivia) but turning south west and going into chile. We do want to see the salar de uyuni, so will be entering bolivia from the west.

send me your email and I will send the planned route.

2007 BMW R1200GSA
1968 Norton Fastback
1969 Triumph Bonnie

South America Blog

Patagonia Bound Ride Report
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=420453

Alaska Ride Report http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=250239
H-Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 11:28 AM   #9
willisknight
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Lima to Fortaleza

Hi, I'm new to this forum and have never ridden a bike before. Nevertheless, I'm planning a Lima, Peru to Fortaleza, Brasil trip next year, porbably around October.
I'm basically looking for any insight that would help me plan this trip, tips, do-s and don't-s, and even the type of bike I should consider getting for this trip. It will be 3 of us doing this trip.

Has anyone done a Pacific to Atlantic South America trip on this forum?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

-will
willisknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 10:40 PM   #10
ahoraquemister OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by H-Jay
Ahoraquemister,

Thanks for sharing your route. Where are you going to enter Boliva from the west to see the Salt Flats?

I'm planning a trip through that area in January. My plan is to go from south from Cusco to La Paz, Bolivia and then on to Uyuni. I'd like an alternative, if its wise to avoid La Paz. Your route looks good but I was wondering if you can easily get to Salar de Uyuni from the west.
Hi Jay
We haven't figured out it yet. It seems that roads coming from Chile to salar de Uyuni are not very good. Normally people that do go from Chile to Uyuni take a more southern route from San Pedro de Atacama but it seems that it takes about 3 or 4 days to go to Uyuni and back - as a bonus you will get to see Laguna Salada, Laguna Verde and Laguna Colorada. For us 2 or 4 days is too much.

Our idea is to get into Bolivia through Ollague, but we havent met anyone who knows this route.

Old 10-14-2008, 07:24 AM   #11
kaiserkyhl
Send more money!

Oddometer: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahoraquemister
Hi Jay
We haven't figured out it yet. It seems that roads coming from Chile to salar de Uyuni are not very good. Normally people that do go from Chile to Uyuni take a more southern route from San Pedro de Atacama but it seems that it takes about 3 or 4 days to go to Uyuni and back - as a bonus you will get to see Laguna Salada, Laguna Verde and Laguna Colorada. For us 2 or 4 days is too much.

Our idea is to get into Bolivia through Ollague, but we havent met anyone who knows this route.
The road from San Pedro go north or east passed Laguna Verde is crap, but some of the most stunning riding/nature you´ll ever get. Expect lots of sand, gravel and big nasty rocks. Pretty much anywhere you go in Bolivia. Also keep in mind you'll be traveling at altitudes up to 5000 meters, so make sure that bike can start! Fuel is a problem. Its bad and you'll need to carry extra or be forced to wait for one of many tourist 4wd trucks and buy some of them. They use the great quality fuel of 82 octan ;-)

By the way it took me 3 days to go around 400 km...

Go for it!
Old 10-14-2008, 07:26 AM   #12
bananaman
transcontimental

Oddometer: 7,056
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahoraquemister
Hi Jay

I don't know the route either, but I saw signs for Bolivia as I was leaving San Pedro de Atacama, and wow- did those roads look like fun! From San Pedro de Atacama to JuJuy, you've got one of the best-paved roads I've ever ridden. Especially from San Pedro to Jama- it's about 100 miles, stunningly beautiful, perfect pavement, and around 16,000 feet.

If you turn left and head into Bolivia, what I heard was that the roads were ok. But not paved. If you go south from San Pedro, and head more directly toward Salta, you get to go past those big lakes. Locals said the roads were mostly good gravel.

Fuel will be an issue. It was around 150 miles from San Pedro, through Jama, towards Jujuy, before I found the first gas station. If I'd gone toward Salta instead of Jujuy, nobody knew where the next gas would be.

If you leave Chile via San Pedro, MAKE SURE TO GET YOUR PASSPORT STAMPED IN SAN PEDRO. There are no Chilean border officers at the actual border. I made this mistake, and had to turn back from Jama- all the way back to San Pedro, a distance of 100 miles. It was terribly cold. It was just terrible, but the beautiful road made up for it.
Old 10-14-2008, 05:45 PM   #13
H-Jay
Mo 2 C

Oddometer: 401
I stumbled across a posting on the Horizon Unlimited site that describes a route from Chile to the salt flats. I did a cut and paste below of the posting. I looked up the cities on Microsoft's maps and found the cities. Using the terain view I can see the road....barely. Google Earth and Google maps were of no help. At least here is an option to explore.

HU link:
http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hub...-bolivia-38383

Below is a cut and paste from HU.

{quote}
alternate salar routes in bolivia
Here's an alternate route to the Salar's in Bolivia if you want to avoid corrogation, though admittedly, I only did part of it. You'd start in Chile, and after crossing the Colchane/Pisiga border you head east 10 k until reaching a tiny pueblo on the right hand side. There's a tiny dirt track that begins just beyond the pueblo, and quickly heads away from the main corrugated road (which if you follow goes to Oruru). After 1 1/2 hours of powder, no services and just a few houses here and there, you'll reach Villa Vitalina, a small pueblo. You can't get supplies here during the winter, as most people leave and head for better grazing for their animals.
You'll see Salar de Coipasa and there's a map of sorts at the main entrance which leads you first across the Salar, then across to Jirira, the entrance to Salar de Uyuni.

You can also get to Salar de Coipasa from Oruru, Bolivia by turning off at Sabaya, but the track is a few hours of corrugation. You can buy supplies in Sabaya and there's a hotel there too.

I did this route in my 1978 Chevy van during the dry season and had no problems. But again, services are scarce.

Lorraine

2007 BMW R1200GSA
1968 Norton Fastback
1969 Triumph Bonnie

South America Blog

Patagonia Bound Ride Report
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=420453

Alaska Ride Report http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=250239
H-Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 06:53 PM   #14
flatmo
Americano

Oddometer: 569
Don't know about the route, but you don't want to miss Bolivia. Don't pay too much attention to the media news, you are in Colombia you know I am talking about.
Jesus (Bucaramanga)
Old 10-19-2008, 12:29 AM   #15
rtw02
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 300
Hola Amigos,
I rode from Uyuni, Bolivia to Calama, Chile through Ollague in late november 2007.
The road north from Calama to San Pedro (not San Pedro de Atacama) was poor pavement and then OK gravel. It was sandy volcanic gravel from there up over the pass into salar de ascotan/carcote.
Just past salar de carcote there was about 20kms of loose sand and bulldust...It was extremely hard riding to Ollague...
There was a road crew working on this section of road, but I do not know if they were just grading it or if they where actually fixing it.
Ollague has good border facillities for Chile but not much for Bolivia.
The road from Ollague to Uyuni was OK loose fine sandy gravel.
This route takes you north and bypasses Laguna Verde, Laguna Colorado, and Arbol de Piedra.
You will need to fuel up in Calama and then the next fuel is San Cristobal in Bolivia, 285kms (mas o minas) then another 80kms into Uyuni.
Sometimes there is NO fuel in Uyuni, but usually there is fuel in Colchani, 20 kms north of Uyuni.Colchani is the entrance to the Salar de Uyuni, and also San Cristobal which is a large mine.
It took us about 13 hours over two days, but it could be done in one with a very early start and good luck at the border.
Colombia and Bolivia were two of our Favorite countries.
Bien Viaje

rtw02 screwed with this post 10-19-2008 at 12:56 AM
rtw02 is offline   Reply With Quote