User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-19-2014, 08:04 PM   #1
toslow OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
Airtech's S fairing

Anybody familiar with Airtech's S fairing? do they have the same spots molded in to the fairing to mount as the stock Bmw fairing has and is there quality good thanks
toslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 09:10 PM   #2
tlub
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 152
Alternative

I went to Boxer Cafe for mine. Made of West System epoxy and get the one-piece. It is a lot stronger than stock.
The fairing and windshield are pricy, but wait till you price the hardware. OMG.. Keep an eye on fleabay.
You can make a lot yourself, especially if you have a stock one to look at (like I did) but you will need the long turn signal brackets unless you use the /5 style turn signals. There are 3 lengths- the shortest is the stock /5. Then the non-S /6. The longest are the ones you need, and they have an extra-long narrow part that goes through the fairing, all the goofy hardware, and then the turn signal clamps on after all that has taken up another 15 mm or so. Because the /6 signals (plastic) clamp inside the turn signal, and the /5 clamp outside (they are metal), you need the length to get inside to the clamping bit.
The other hard to find bits (but they do come up, and you could make them from 1/8" sheet stock) are the brackets that go under the fork tube caps, and take the place of the washer normally there.
But I digress. The BoxerCafe fairing is nice.
tlub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 05:19 AM   #3
TINK
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 681
OEM S fairing

I ended up paying the BIG BUCKS ($750, Bob's BMW) for the factory fairing/screen/hardware.

http://www.photosbytink.com/bmw/
TINK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 12:46 PM   #4
Someguytexas
n00b

Oddometer: 7
tink when did you order this from bobs?
Someguytexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 04:46 PM   #5
pit0rz
Off on a bimble...

Oddometer: 772
I looked into buying the OEM kit from Bob's a little while after Tink got his. It wasn't available and I wasn't prepared to spend that much anyway. I got mine from flatracer.com with their mounting kit but I didn't use their lower mounts (clamped to forks) and instead used the OEM turn signals, not the correct long ones. Because of this I had to modify my turnsignals and mount them very tight to the fairing.

The flatracer fairing is very good quality, fit and finish are perfect. My only gripe with it is that the fiberglass is much thicker than the stock fairing. This is nice in that it is very strong. However, mounting it is very difficult as you have to 'spread' the fairing to get it over the turn signal stalks. I suppose if you use all of their mounting kit and not the stock turn signals then this is a moot point. I think they make their kit this way as they assume most are going from RT to S and don't have the front turn signals anyway?

take the long way home
pit0rz is offline   Reply With Quote