ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-12-2014, 04:18 AM   #1
Hollow Road Rider OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Hollow Road Rider's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Chicago Area & The Driftless Area
Oddometer: 217
Question New Fork Springs GS100 -- Need Advice

I am getting ready to install new Wilbers fork springs on my GS without removing the forks from the bike. I know that the left and right fork operate in opposition, but when I drained the oil from the left side it was dark black and the right side was clean and blue. Could that be two different oils, or is the left side that much hotter?

Also, each side had a short, one inch length of PVC as a top bushing. That seems a little short?
Hollow Road Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 06:11 AM   #2
photorider
Gnarly Adventurer
 
photorider's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Chicago and Guatemala
Oddometer: 247
It's normal for one side to come out much darker than the other. I use same oil in both legs. I've heard of others using different weights in each fork leg.
When you put your new springs in, you'll use a piece of PVC to set your preload.
The process of measure, cut, test drive, adjust can be a little tedious but it's worth doing.
photorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 06:20 AM   #3
Hollow Road Rider OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Hollow Road Rider's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Chicago Area & The Driftless Area
Oddometer: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by photorider View Post
It's normal for one side to come out much darker than the other. I use same oil in both legs. I've heard of others using different weights in each fork leg.
When you put your new springs in, you'll use a piece of PVC to set your preload.
The process of measure, cut, test drive, adjust can be a little tedious but it's worth doing.

Thanks, Is there any reason I shouldn't just use the same PVC bushings that I took out?
Hollow Road Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 09:14 AM   #4
FrankR80GS
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2014
Location: Germany
Oddometer: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollow Road Rider View Post
Thanks, Is there any reason I shouldn't just use the same PVC bushings that I took out?
I recommend the "Dakar" version of the Wilbers springs - no matter if it is a Dakar or just a GS. The Wilbers spring is made to have the same length as the stock springs with plastik extensions. Thats why you won't need the extensions anymore. Wilbers recommends 7.5 gauge oil to be used with the springs in both legs. That works quite good, but I rised the level by approx. one inch. Therefore you drain the oil over night, remove the old springs and compress the open fork fully. Fill in the 7.5 gauge oil slowly to allow a level of 140mm (5.5") from the upper edge of the fork - Wilbers recommends 160mm. Release the compression slowly, put the springs in, done.
FrankR80GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 10:32 AM   #5
Hollow Road Rider OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Hollow Road Rider's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Chicago Area & The Driftless Area
Oddometer: 217
Right Frank, Ted Porter told me to do the compression and measure the 160 mm.

But, I think you are saying, add more oil and leave out the bushings. Right?
Hollow Road Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 11:50 AM   #6
FrankR80GS
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2014
Location: Germany
Oddometer: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollow Road Rider View Post
Right Frank, Ted Porter told me to do the compression and measure the 160 mm.

But, I think you are saying, add more oil and leave out the bushings. Right?
Leave out the bushings anyway, they won't fit because the Wilbers springs are as long as the old springs plus bushings. A higher oil level gives more progression. Unless you are not a real featherweight rider you may find the standard Wilbers spring with recommended oil level too soft. I put 80kg on the scale.
FrankR80GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 04:01 PM   #7
Hollow Road Rider OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Hollow Road Rider's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Chicago Area & The Driftless Area
Oddometer: 217
All done.

Right, the new Wilbers are longer-- no spacers needed.

I stayed with the recommended 160 mm air space, as Ted also recommended 10 weight oil, which should stiffen things up. I can always add some more oil if the ride is too soft.

Thanks

TA
Hollow Road Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 12:38 AM   #8
FrankR80GS
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2014
Location: Germany
Oddometer: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollow Road Rider View Post
...I can always add some more oil if the ride is too soft.

Thanks

TA
If you do so, make sure to add the same volumes in both legs. 10 gauge oil is usually the advice for the right "rebound" leg. How to WP Springs
FrankR80GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 05:13 AM   #9
Hollow Road Rider OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Hollow Road Rider's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Chicago Area & The Driftless Area
Oddometer: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankR80GS View Post
If you do so, make sure to add the same volumes in both legs. 10 gauge oil is usually the advice for the right "rebound" leg. How to WP Springs
Thanks again Frank, and I enjoyed "Joergs R80GS page".

It now occurs to me that I may have installed the springs upside down? The Wilbers instruction manual says to install with the "narrow/ progressive windings pointing up". I took that to mean that the narrow windings should be at the top of the tube.??
Hollow Road Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 09:00 AM   #10
FrankR80GS
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2014
Location: Germany
Oddometer: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollow Road Rider View Post
Thanks again Frank, and I enjoyed "Joergs R80GS page".

It now occurs to me that I may have installed the springs upside down? The Wilbers instruction manual says to install with the "narrow/ progressive windings pointing up". I took that to mean that the narrow windings should be at the top of the tube.??
Everthing will be ok if you hold the narrow wound ends in your hands while putting the springs in.
FrankR80GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:40 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014