User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2015, 05:13 PM   #1
flemsmith OP
lurk

Oddometer: 627
Rear tire rotation...

Tried to do a search, mebbe this ques is too elementary, but I don't see a FAQ for airhead newbies....

91 R100RT. replacing both tires. Metzeler ME880 Marathons, 100-90/18 and 120-90/18.

The front direction is clearly marked. The rear is marked for the rotation it would have if it were on the front.....The previous rear is different tread pattern, so that doesn't help me.

Do I want to mount the rear so it's tread pattern points the same direction as the front, or reversed? And so I can hopefully remember, what is the reason for said correct rear tire rotation?

Thanks for any response. roy
flemsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 05:48 PM   #2
bmwrench
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,104
Tire rotation direction is usually based on the strength characteristics of the tire. The front needs to be able to tolerate braking and the rear, acceleration. Thus, if you are running a front tire on the rear (which is what you're about to do), it should be run backwards. A more logical choice would be to get an ME88 for the rear.

For what it's worth, I recently installed a new K-81 on the front of my Trident and moved the used front to the back and reversed it. The K-81s were intended to be used on either end and had opposing arrows on them. Confused a few guys "back in the day": "hey, you put my tire on backwards!" "Nope-lookie here."
bmwrench is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 05:55 PM   #3
flemsmith OP
lurk

Oddometer: 627
Gracias, that's exactly what I needed to know. And I might even be able to remember it.

roy
flemsmith is offline   Reply With Quote