Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-18-2008, 02:01 PM   #151
OldTiredness
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Apparently I registered mine at micapeak in 1999...

Suprising what you can find on the interwebs...
Add another one:
'81 last 4 digits: 2317. Believed to have been sold new at BCW in SF.
Will add photo later.
OldTiredness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 02:52 PM   #152
beemer67
Really Old airhead

Oddometer: 213
Not pretty, but has been owned since new in January 1981. Been to Alaska twice (if you count Hyder) and Mexico seven times. And dirt whenever I can find it. Ignore my cold weather hand covers, but they also worked well as summer brush guards.

1981 VIN last four digits 2013 .. which makes it pretty close to the start of production

beemer67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 03:48 PM   #153
SOLO LOBO OP
airhead or nothing

Oddometer: 8,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKjeff
I just realized I haven't posted a pic of mine. Here it is ready to be loaded in a container to be barged home.
Man, I am sooo jealous of your Acerbis fairing..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand
your bike is suitably dirty. Well done.

SOLO LOBO screwed with this post 12-19-2008 at 01:59 PM
SOLO LOBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 03:49 PM   #154
SOLO LOBO OP
airhead or nothing

Oddometer: 8,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by beemer67
1981 VIN last four digits 2013 .. which makes it pretty close to the start of production
13th built is pretty darn near #1... your is the oldest I know of by far!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand
your bike is suitably dirty. Well done.
SOLO LOBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 06:43 PM   #155
Cordless
Two Wheel Addict

Oddometer: 2,015
Quote:
Not pretty, but has been owned since new in January 1981. Been to Alaska twice (if you count Hyder) and Mexico seven times. And dirt whenever I can find it. Ignore my cold weather hand covers, but they also worked well as summer brush guards.

How many miles have you accumulated on this beauty?
Cordless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 12:10 AM   #156
beemer67
Really Old airhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cordless
How many miles have you accumulated on this beauty?

Have just over 230,000 kms. The front end is Forteza (Ceriani) with a custom length Works performance on the rear. This raises the whole bike close to 2 inches. (centre and side stands extended) Makes for problems at times in the dirt as my legs didn't get an extension , but it rides really nicely over the rough stuff.
Old 12-19-2008, 09:19 AM   #157
elmoreman
takin' a break, boss

Oddometer: 1,773
Quote:
Have just over 230,000 kms. The front end is Forteza (Ceriani) with a custom length Works performance on the rear. This raises the whole bike close to 2 inches. (centre and side stands extended) Makes for problems at times in the dirt as my legs didn't get an extension , but it rides really nicely over the rough stuff.
No problems raising it two inches? Didnt that screw up the driveshaft angle? Or did you raise and tilt the engine as well?? I could raise mine pretty easily, but as far as I know you need an extended driveshaft to do that successfully...
Old 12-19-2008, 10:57 AM   #158
England-Kev
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,420
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKjeff
I just realized I haven't posted a pic of mine. Here it is ready to be loaded in a container to be barged home.

I love the fairing/screen on this bike, any info on it please?
England-Kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 04:41 PM   #159
beemer67
Really Old airhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmoreman
No problems raising it two inches? Didnt that screw up the driveshaft angle? Or did you raise and tilt the engine as well?? I could raise mine pretty easily, but as far as I know you need an extended driveshaft to do that successfully...
I had to compress the frame tube just above the swing arm bellmouth a bit. And I had to grind out the inside of the bellmouth a bit to clear the UV joint. There is definitely more angle on the driveshaft but I haven't had any problems with it.

I had a new UV joint installed two years ago, not because anything was wrong but I figured it had 100K miles on it, so maybe it was getting close to time. I do a lot of offroad touring with full Jesse bags and camping equipment and ride some pretty rough areas and it has never given any problems.
Old 12-21-2008, 10:51 PM   #160
Phreaky Phil
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,725
Quote:

Can we have some more pics please, other side etc. What tank is that ?
Phreaky Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 12:06 AM   #161
beemer67
Really Old airhead

Phreaky Phil,

I will have to search for some other picutres. Tank is a Heinrich, or at least whomever was making them under that name in the late 80's.
It is 41 litres. That is a custom vinyl cover on the tank, which has never been painted (just primer) had a buddy who used to make tank covers for the airheads and I twisted his arm to make this one for the big tank. He only ever made one!

The rear top box looks big, but it is actually cut out in the middle on the bottom as it sits down on the subframe and thus fits over the rear fender..
Old 12-22-2008, 12:33 AM   #162
beemer67
Really Old airhead

Phreaky Phil,

This is the only one I have of the bike's right side close up. This is current set-up.

beemer67 screwed with this post 12-22-2008 at 12:46 AM
Old 12-22-2008, 01:43 AM   #163
beemer67
Really Old airhead

Phreaky Phil,

I will even show you my 'faux pas' 's. Here is the rear of the bike after I found the one and only Mexican cattle guard with a gap wider than the REAR tyre. A gap wider than the front tyre I had come to expect. I almost made it but the rear just slipped off the edge in the last foot and it stopped real quick.

It was a bugger picking it up (front tyre on higher ground) as I found out later I was riding with a broken leg.

Old 12-22-2008, 04:52 AM   #164
AKjeff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,959
Quote:
Originally Posted by England-Kev
I love the fairing/screen on this bike, any info on it please?
I appreciate the compliments on the fairing, as there were a couple less-than-complimentary comments made about it in another thread, before I bought the bike.

All I know, right now, is it has an Acerbis sticker on the windscreen. I'm out of town working, when I get home I'll see if I can find any info on the fairing itself.

AKjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 03:25 PM   #165
Phreaky Phil
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,725
Quote:
Phreaky Phil,

I will even show you my 'faux pas' 's. Here is the rear of the bike after I found the one and only Mexican cattle guard with a gap wider than the REAR tyre. A gap wider than the front tyre I had come to expect. I almost made it but the rear just slipped off the edge in the last foot and it stopped real quick.

It was a bugger picking it up (front tyre on higher ground) as I found out later I was riding with a broken leg.

Thanks for those. Cool bike. Good suspension, big tank and airhead simplicity. Still a good combination. Broken leg !!!! That had to hurt a bit.!!
Phreaky Phil is offline   Reply With Quote