Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2008, 07:59 AM   #16
Stinez
Rhymes with Heinz :D

Oddometer: 47,689
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeRide
Click on that backstory link listed in the first post of this thread. Plenty of fun mechanical pics over there.

Good idea though. Oh, there will be plenty bike pics later today from the ride but I'll put one up taken yesterday to hold you for now. Enjoy!

The GOP puts the "Con" in Conservative.
Stinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 09:14 AM   #17
England-Kev
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,405
Come on man, I have a beer going cold as I sit here waiting for the tale of a Fall Bimble
England-Kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 12:33 PM   #18
MeRide OP
Me like bikes!

Oddometer: 1,134
I'm back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by England-Kev
Come on man, I have a beer going cold as I sit here waiting for the tale of a Fall Bimble

Wow! What an excellent ride. It was just what I wanted to do. I had a successful bimble about the countryside. Normally I have a destination like a lunch stop so I ride there, eat, and ride back via a different route. Today I packed a lunch and simply zig zagged around with no set route plan.

Iím writing up the Ride Report and will be posting pieces as I write. Enjoy!
MeRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 01:45 PM   #19
Jamie Z
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,728
Is that an aftermarket or otherwise add-on speedometer?

Jamie

Budget Travel the Jamie Z Way
Jamie Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 02:05 PM   #20
MeRide OP
Me like bikes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Z
Is that an aftermarket or otherwise add-on speedometer?

Jamie

The speedometer is an original Harley-Davidson speedometer. Actually, the Corbin Screw Corporation in Connecticut made them for Harley as well as other motorcycle manufacturers like Indian Motocycle. It's the 100mph speedometer with a face light and maximum speed hand. It was an optional accessory which cost $17. To put that into perspective the bike was $320 back in 1935. I'm pretty sure this speedometer was purchased originally with this bike as it has the same patina as the rest of the machine. It's definately the correct speedo and rear drive for the bike. It was common back then for accessories to be added when new and also in the following years. Riders would even replace tank graphics with later model graphics a couple years later to "update" their motorcycles. So, even back in the 1930's riders liked their "farkles"
Old 09-23-2008, 02:09 PM   #21
MeRide OP
Me like bikes!

The ride begins

So, the sun wasnít coming out, skies were still overcast and murky, and it was still only 48 degrees. Whatís a motorcyclist to do? Ride of course! I fired up the bike, slipped the clutch, and headed down the dirt road. Oh, yeah, the old beast can handle dirt roads no problem. Heh heh hehÖ.
Old 09-23-2008, 02:10 PM   #22
MeRide OP
Me like bikes!

A little info on the motorcycleís controls. The left handgrip is the spark advance and the hand lever on the left is for the front brake. The right hand grip is the throttle. Left foot works the clutch and the right foot does the rear brake. The left hand also throws the hand shifter through low gear, neutral, second gear, and high gear.
Old 09-23-2008, 02:12 PM   #23
MeRide OP
Me like bikes!

I stopped at the post office to mail a bill because evidently the people that sent the bill didnít realize that I was on vacation! Bastards
Old 09-23-2008, 02:16 PM   #24
MeRide OP
Me like bikes!

Then I was off. I road for a while and took in various observations about how the bike was running and riding. I was also enjoying the beautiful scenery. The trees have been turning colors recently and there are pockets of wonderful red, orange, and yellow leaves among the greenery. Being a weekday and after commute time I had the roads to myself. I love this time of year and riding these roads. Peace and no interruptions or distractions.

Stopped for some gas. Took on 1.33 gallons. Not much. Oh well.

Attached Images

Old 09-23-2008, 02:17 PM   #25
MeRide OP
Me like bikes!

I decided to stop in at a little airstrip and watch some touch and goes. Maybe I’d get lucky and see the old Stearman biplane like I did on another ride. But it was not to be. There was no action there. So, I took a couple pics of the bike, put my gear back on, and headed off.

Attached Images

MeRide screwed with this post 11-06-2009 at 06:10 PM
Old 09-23-2008, 02:20 PM   #26
MeRide OP
Me like bikes!

One thing I havenít figured out is how to take more photos while I ride. When I see something photo worthy there never seems to be a good/safe place to stop. When I do find a stop there isnít anything to see. I put the wrist strap on the camera this morning and planned on letting it hang from my right wrist. But it would have been hitting my knee while I road so I bagged that idea. I put it in the backpack which meant I had to stop, dismount, take off the pack, and so on.

Old 09-23-2008, 02:21 PM   #27
MeRide OP
Me like bikes!

Came into Washington, NH and stopped. It’s up in elevation there as it’s in the foothills of the Appalachians. Took some pics.

Attached Images

MeRide screwed with this post 11-06-2009 at 06:10 PM
Old 09-23-2008, 02:23 PM   #28
MeRide OP
Me like bikes!

Steeple on the building on the left looked a little odd

Attached Images

MeRide screwed with this post 11-06-2009 at 06:11 PM
Old 09-23-2008, 02:25 PM   #29
MeRide OP
Me like bikes!

This maple is just begining to turn colors. The whole canopy will be scarlet in a couple weeks.

Attached Images

MeRide screwed with this post 11-06-2009 at 06:12 PM
Old 09-23-2008, 02:30 PM   #30
MeRide OP
Me like bikes!

I continued heading northwest. A piece of Route 31 through this mountain section was full of old frost heaves. I rode through it at 50mph for a few miles. It was like a washboard and very technical for the old machine. It was similar to going through the whoops on the dirt bike. Gotta have full attention and keep those hands tight. A lot of hand, wrist, and arm work. I kept trying to find a better line but there was no escaping it. So, I embraced it and poured on more throttle. Went through a sudden three foot long dip and on the exit the bike caught some air. Both tires off the ground. No kidding! Sorry, no photos of the air shot, nobody around to help shoot it

MeRide screwed with this post 09-23-2008 at 03:38 PM