Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2008, 09:36 PM   #1
DoctorIt OP
vrooom!

Oddometer: 5,677
Since there are quite a few new owners in here, anyone care to comment on pricing? BMW list price is $10,520 - my big local dealer (*back home - moving home to US in 2 months) is listing them on the web at $12,520!?!!!

Far as I know, not much in the way of big options on this bike, so where on earth is the extra 20% coming from, seems crazy!
Old 09-19-2008, 10:14 PM   #2
WoodWorks
House Ape

Oddometer: 2,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorIt
Since there are quite a few new owners in here, anyone care to comment on pricing? BMW list price is $10,520 - my big local dealer (*back home - moving home to US in 2 months) is listing them on the web at $12,520!?!!!

Far as I know, not much in the way of big options on this bike, so where on earth is the extra 20% coming from, seems crazy!
What options are included in that price? My 800, which was picked up in Bremerhafen two days ago, and is due to arrive out here in Oregon in mid-October, includes the center stand, ABS, OBC, and clear indicators, and the price is going to be ~US$12,500 with dealer prep. And I'm getting it at MSRP. So your price, depending on what's included, doesn't seem all that out of line to me.

David

I'm tryin' ta think, but nuttin' happens!
--Curly
WoodWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 10:54 PM   #3
cba191
wanna buy a monkey?

Oddometer: 676
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodWorks
What options are included in that price? My 800, which was picked up in Bremerhafen two days ago, and is due to arrive out here in Oregon in mid-October, includes the center stand, ABS, OBC, and clear indicators, and the price is going to be ~US$12,500 with dealer prep. And I'm getting it at MSRP. So your price, depending on what's included, doesn't seem all that out of line to me.

David
sounds like what i paid. pretty much with everything. ABS, center stand, computer, clearindicators, and alarm.
cba191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 11:28 PM   #4
DoctorIt OP
vrooom!

Quote:

David
That's a bit of a shame. In other words, that MSRP is misleading since how many bikes do you think will come to the US w/o center stand or OBC and/or ABS? Probably none. I really thought BMW did right by this one to include all the essentials (center stand, OBC) and only really make ABS an option.

The price gap to a 12GS just got a lot smaller. 10 to 14k is a big jump, 12 to 14 is a lot less.
Old 09-19-2008, 11:33 PM   #5
riceless950
Let's Ride!

Oddometer: 3,231
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonz

I have some serious lust right now for a KTM 950 SE but dread the thought of working on it.
Get an Air Conditioner for your garage and an SE.

Anything else will just leave you wondering about the greatness that could have been.
riceless950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 07:29 AM   #6
WoodWorks
House Ape

Oddometer: 2,204
Quote:
I really thought BMW did right by this one to include all the essentials (center stand, OBC) and only really make ABS an option.
Well, for what it's worth, my Wee came without a center stand, OBC, ABS, and clear indicators. So I don't think BMW's leaving them off is out of the ordinary.

Now the Wee is a lot cheaper, I grant you. But IMhO the Wee is a lot less of a bike too. YMMV.

David

I'm tryin' ta think, but nuttin' happens!
--Curly
WoodWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 04:27 PM   #7
DoctorIt OP
vrooom!

Quote:
Well, for what it's worth, my Wee came without a center stand, OBC, ABS, and clear indicators. So I don't think BMW's leaving them off is out of the ordinary.
Sure, agreed on that point. My point was more that you CAN get the wee w/o the options. My observation, is that with BMW, the 800 inventory that is coming into the US will already have all the options (including the $900 ABS). In other words, the base MSRP is really just a myth. Very similar with the 1200gs adventure. It was theoretically possible to get one w/o abs, but in practice, I had one of maybe 2 my dealer had ever seen.
Old 09-20-2008, 04:44 PM   #8
marty hill
The Energizer Bunny

Oddometer: 4,220
You can order any bike with any options you want. If not, you at the wrong dealership.

Semper Paratus
marty hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 12:42 AM   #9
Jutta
Into the remote places

Oddometer: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by DakarBlues
Test drove the Gs 800 today.
unless you look over your knees, it looks like a detuned 1200 GS.
The position was quite cramped with the low seat (I'm 6'3 though) and the dashboard is low, just as on a 1200 GS.
Of course it's lighter, but noise, reluctance to get up to revs, backfiring at roll-off, everything is so similar.
It was a quite short run (less than 20 miles), but I found it far less peppy than my KTM 950 S and far less entertaining.
In order to keep up with fast traffic you have to be well over 6500rpm, with the 950 you generally don't need to go past 5000rpm, torque-wise, it''s quite weak, it's a machine that needs to be whipped up and so enine noise is generally more prevalent than wind noise.
If I could have a jetting getting my 950 around 45 mpg., I guarantee you I would be a happy man, but no thanks, I'm not getting a BMW GS.
I think you will have more success if you ride it.

6,500 rpm? I have no problems in keeping up with traffic and sportsbikes at 5,500 rpm on my Dakar. The 650 twin has got even more grunt.
Jutta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 11:04 AM   #10
Orpheus
more like fool sport

Oddometer: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jutta
6,500 rpm? I have no problems in keeping up with traffic and sportsbikes at 5,500 rpm on my Dakar. The 650 twin has got even more grunt.
I could have sworn I was able to keep up with traffic yesterday on my Bonnie, and that weighs even more and has even less power than a pathetic F800 GS. How did I do it?!
Orpheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 12:01 PM   #11
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orpheus
I could have sworn I was able to keep up with traffic yesterday on my Bonnie, and that weighs even more and has even less power than a pathetic F800 GS. How did I do it?!
Ummmmmmmmmm maybe you shifted up into 3rd or ... I even shutter to think... 4th gear perhaps?
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 02:26 PM   #12
cba191
wanna buy a monkey?

Oddometer: 676
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orpheus
JR is right. you need to learn how to shift. @ 6000 rpm, i was doing 95 mph. i really have no idea what you were doing wrong.
cba191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 09:49 PM   #13
]I)Money
D NOT I

Oddometer: 3,602
THERE ARE GEARS?

"Another road remains, but it provides no more. It can only take us away"
]I)Money is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 09:36 AM   #14
Bucko
In a parallel world

Oddometer: 817
Quote:

The price gap to a 12GS just got a lot smaller. 10 to 14k is a big jump, 12 to 14 is a lot less.
Until you start adding options, then your $14k GS12 is suddenly $16k, and you pay even more tax and license fees on the bigger number.

My GS8 cost $14.5k out the door with ABS, OBC, centerstan in Kalifornia, including paying for the BMW skid pan that wasn't in stock.

This bike rocks.
Bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 10:43 AM   #15
spoof
on backwards

Oddometer: 304
edit away from cost info....agreed with posts below. I actually thought I was on a different thread. This should track to RTW's experience

spoof screwed with this post 09-22-2008 at 01:08 PM
spoof is offline   Reply With Quote