Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2008, 10:50 AM   #16
stou
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoriley
This last weekend was the GS challenge just outside Montreal. I heard someone showed up on an F800GS from Toronto and that the bike took a few spills and is no longer pristine to say the least. Must be some pics floating around somewhere or its just more BS>
Here's a couple of picture from the GS Challenge.

That's me on the 800 Saturday

And some guys push it a little too much on Sunday!

Montreal to Moab 2008: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=343166
stou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 11:15 AM   #17
fyr
iRoast Coffee

Oddometer: 1,277
I am going to follow this thread pretty closely as I just sold my bike and am looking for a new ride.. I am hoping to get an Airhead GS but they are as scarce as hens teeth.
I sauntered over to the Motorrad site and like what I saw in the 800. When I owned my KLR and then Wee strom I kinda envisioned what the perfect dual sport bike should be. So far the GS 800 is it (except I would have liked shaft drive).
Now that i'm bikeless it's looking better and better. If I went GS 800 I wouldnt want to take delivery before next March so there is no rush.. What do you think stock/ delivery time would be like then?
Old 09-26-2008, 11:18 AM   #18
cba191
wanna buy a monkey?

Oddometer: 676
Quote:
Originally Posted by stou
ABS would have saved your ass!

cba191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 11:24 AM   #19
Motoriley
Even my posing is virtual

Oddometer: 2,673
F800 Challenge

Holy crap man that is breaking in a new bike in true Adv style!!!
How did the bike do compared to the others and what damage did she incur?

Quote:
Here's a couple of picture from the GS Challenge.

That's me on the 800 Saturday

Website - http://www.apormc.com/
Vids - http://www.youtube.com/user/Motoriley?feature=mhum
Motoriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 12:10 PM   #20
Jlsa
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Quote:
Holy crap man that is breaking in a new bike in true Adv style!!!
I saw the bike as they were doing the five finalist trials. It was interesting to watch the BMW tech from Moto Internaional duct tape the headlight assembly back on! It was broken on one side. Guess that's what happens when you plant it into the rocks!

it was all in good fun though and don't feel too bad... I believe this F800GS still belongs to BMW Canada (soneone can correct me if I'm wrong). I know it was the first one in the country.

Jlsa
Jlsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 12:47 PM   #21
Motoriley

F800gs

Man, the next BMW Canada needs a bike crashed they can count me in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlsa
I saw the bike as they were doing the five finalist trials. It was interesting to watch the BMW tech from Moto Internaional duct tape the headlight assembly back on! It was broken on one side. Guess that's what happens when you plant it into the rocks!

it was all in good fun though and don't feel too bad... I believe this F800GS still belongs to BMW Canada (soneone can correct me if I'm wrong). I know it was the first one in the country.

Jlsa
Old 09-26-2008, 09:50 PM   #22
jessehere
Ridin'

Oddometer: 769
Love the peanut gallery faces!!
Quote:

jessehere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 11:42 AM   #23
WarLlama OP
belligerent cameloid

Oddometer: 17,601
Wow, this bike is great on the highway, handles very smoothly, almost effortless. The fairing is so-so, it keeps the airstream off your chest and thats about it, but in a dualsport you shouldn't expect more, so for its size it does alright.

The engine is very responsive, twist the throttle and you get going right quick and its quiet, on the highway you can't even hear it unless you crank it. Ran the bike over some highway repair zones where the pavement is all chewed up in preparation for new asphault and it hardly noticed, whereas my old FJ1200 would ride the grooves with the front tire shimmying side to side.

The blinker system BMW uses takes a bit of getting used to, I have inadvertantly twisted the throttle trying to cancel one or the other and accidentally beeped the horn when trying to hit the left signal, I'm sure once I'm over the learning curve this will become second nature.

The on board computer took a while to figure out my gas usage and kilometers to go, about 200 kms before it told me anything useful. Got about 350 kms out of the first tank before filling up, figure you could reach about 390 or so before running dry. There is no reserve, just the highly accurate (I hope) computer telling you how far you can go and when you should fill up, one good reason to get the OBC, without it you would have to keep it all in your mind and of course you would screw up sooner or later and find yourself on the side of the road with no gas in the tank. Get the OBC, I almost didn't but I see why you should now.

The low beam headlight is pretty good, good spread, well lit up. Didn't get a chance to use the highbeam out in the country in a dark area to see how good that was. The lowered seat, which BMW put on the bike even though I wanted the normal one, isn't too comfortable, seeing how its a lowered seat just by removing padding. Can't wait to get the normal one.

Haven't had a chance to try it in the dirt or gravel yet.

Thats it, thats my new bike report.
WarLlama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 06:38 PM   #24
Proton
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarLlama
Just picked it up, the dealer said I was the first person in Toronto to get one. He did say all the ones they received had the lowered seat, so I have to go back when they get the normal ones.
I am also waiting to take delivery of a bike which apparently will have the lowered seat (which I don't need). My understanding is that it's just a question of swapping the seat once a standard height seat can be ordered.

Odd this is considered a "factory option" in the brochure, since if you can just swap the seat this could easily be done aftermarket. I was a bit worried about accepting a "lowered seat" model if it's got other stuff that's different (I am 6'3") but it seems that the lowered suspension is not an option on the 800GS so I should be safe.

Can someone confirm that it's just a question of swapping the seat? Thanks!

Looking forward to getting the beast...

P
Proton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 07:04 PM   #25
Nemesis
just ride the damn thing

Oddometer: 421
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proton
I am also waiting to take delivery of a bike which apparently will have the lowered seat (which I don't need). My understanding is that it's just a question of swapping the seat once a standard height seat can be ordered.

Odd this is considered a "factory option" in the brochure, since if you can just swap the seat this could easily be done aftermarket. I was a bit worried about accepting a "lowered seat" model if it's got other stuff that's different (I am 6'3") but it seems that the lowered suspension is not an option on the 800GS so I should be safe.

Can someone confirm that it's just a question of swapping the seat? Thanks!

Looking forward to getting the beast...

P

Well, certainly the lowered seat can be swapped out for the standard seat, there is no fitment issues. But I suspect you are expecting the dealer to just exchange the seats for free, since you consider it "odd" that it is also a factory option. I have seen magazine tests and blurbs on this bike where they state that a low seat is available at no extra charge. While it is true that either seat can be had from the factory without a cost difference this only applies to the bike AS IT IS BUILT. Unless things are done differently by dealers where you are (Wherever that is, fill out your profile, noob), you probably will be purchasing the standard seat.

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats " - H. L. Mencken
Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 06:15 AM   #26
Proton
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis
Well, certainly the lowered seat can be swapped out for the standard seat, there is no fitment issues. But I suspect you are expecting the dealer to just exchange the seats for free, since you consider it "odd" that it is also a factory option. I have seen magazine tests and blurbs on this bike where they state that a low seat is available at no extra charge. While it is true that either seat can be had from the factory without a cost difference this only applies to the bike AS IT IS BUILT. Unless things are done differently by dealers where you are (Wherever that is, fill out your profile, noob), you probably will be purchasing the standard seat.
Thanks for the info - the dealer agreed to swap the seat for no charge. I should make sure I have this in writing somewhere...

Also thanks for the gentle reminder about my profile info (I am from Montreal, will add some profile info).

P
Old 10-05-2008, 08:08 AM   #27
Motoriley

Montreal F800s

Not another Montrealer waiting for an F800......maybe you should cancel your order so I can move up the list.
Old 10-05-2008, 08:25 AM   #28
stou
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 350
Quote:
I really like this bike. I have a R1200GS and the 800 is a lot more nimble than the 1200. Also the suspension work very well in rough, mud and sand. Very good power too. I even think about buying one....

The damages was not too much considering what they did with the bike. It look like a very strong bike. Only a couple of plastics, the headlight and a side cover was damaged. If the bike had some good crash, the damages would have been much less important.
Montreal to Moab 2008: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=343166
stou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 12:59 PM   #29
Proton
Gnarly Adventurer

Montreal

Quote:
Not another Montrealer waiting for an F800......maybe you should cancel your order so I can move up the list.
Hello fellow Montrealer!

This should probably either go in a separate thread on 800GS's in Montreal, or in the already existing 800GS in Canada thread but anyway...

What dealer (or should I say which of the two dealers) did you order through?

I got the following stories:

Moto Internationale: there are about ten bikes already on their way, all of which have already been bought. If I ordered a bike last week we were looking at November production for January delivery.

Évasion (Sherbrooke): pretty much the same as Moto Internationale. Any orders placed these days would be November production for 2009 delivery.

Monette: Originally claimed one 800GS was coming in next week (the week of Oct. 6) and was available for purchase if I put a deposit down. This was changed to "we got a memo from BMW saying that the 800GS's would be arriving within 20 days". Apparently all the incoming bikes have the low seat option for some reason, but dealer claimed this could be swapped no problem and at no cost (I am 6'3"). I put a deposit, and hope the 20 day window holds. I'd like to get some riding in this season, but I know this is probably not the right reason on which to base a purchasing decision. Problem is I've been delaying a decision over whether to get a second family car for ages and in the end decided to get a nice bike instead (plus a communauto subscription and metro pass).

Good luck with your order - this thing is turning out the be the freakin' iPhone of bikes... (at first I wondered if posting this info wasn't like giving secrets away to the enemy... but better if we can compare stories to clear up the inevitable confusion!)

P

Proton screwed with this post 10-05-2008 at 02:16 PM
Old 10-05-2008, 02:09 PM   #30
WarLlama OP
belligerent cameloid

Oddometer: 17,601
I was told by the dealer that they will call me when they get a regular seat and swap it out, no charge, which is as it should be since I did ask for the regular seat.
WarLlama is offline   Reply With Quote