User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-13-2008, 02:24 PM   #16
Cheetah
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Axle Bling

These are Zip-Ty axle blocks & puller that I have had since 03, they fitted the 08 with no mods. They make tube changes quicker & easier as the blocks stay put & the handle makes axle removal a breeze. In the Zip-Ty kit comes a pointed piece that is fitted into the end of the axle to make pushing the axle easier. My is a little worn down from a slide down the bitumen from a green front knobby.

Cheetah screwed with this post 01-13-2009 at 02:12 PM
Cheetah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 02:27 PM   #17
Cheetah
Adventurer

The other side.

Having the axle remove from the right hand side makes lining up the axle block, disc carrier & hub easier.

Cheetah screwed with this post 01-13-2009 at 02:13 PM
Old 11-13-2008, 06:46 PM   #18
GFoz
ManchesterTRF.com

Oddometer: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhino_343
I would love to use mine for multi day rides, but it would mean an oil change every one to two days... hmmm a bit of a hassle, so I will stick to the Husky for distances.

Here's a pic of my 450 with a mates wr250r... now if only they would make a wr450r!:

YES I agree. I love my WR450F but a WR-R 450 would be a great dual sport bike! COME ON YAMAHA!!!
Heres my bike on day one! Not so clean these days though...

Yamaha ROCKS !!!

www.ManchesterTRF.com
GFoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 09:25 PM   #19
ChrisCrossed
Now sans KLX...

Oddometer: 1,887
First ride in the bush today - great conditions, nice and cool. Really love the bike. It's just more of everything than the KLX. Steers tighter, and the suspension is a real improvement for sure. And the power is really useable, easy to float the front end over tree roots and rocks just with a bit of throttle. Not as tractable as the green DRZ but what is? And I haven't had much of a go with the jetting. I suspect it's a touch lean down low but that might be more impression than fact. I'll have a play with it and see what happens.

I did find a bog to get stuck in though - usual poor line selection on my behalf. Instead of digging a bigger hole the big fella in the Souths jumper helped me drag it out and back up the inside line.

Shortly after, he went over the bars of his TTR after clipping a tree and broke his collarbone so that was the end of play.

"I know what I'd rather have between this busted collarbone and that lovely WR450 "
Old 01-01-2009, 03:25 PM   #20
Mark.W
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 176
WR450 Africa rallye Build-Up

Great thread, both bike specific and rallye in general

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=400288
Mark.W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 03:44 PM   #21
dnrobertson
Big Bike, Slow Rider

Oddometer: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheetah
I agree, the oil change intervals do make multiday rides a hassle but I have been pondering this since I realised that my 02 WR426 holds more oil than the proceeding models. I now have a 08 WR450 and don't like the idea of weight reduction by reduce oil capacity. My thoughts are to put an oil cooler behind the left hand radiator, more as an exercise in increasing oil capacity rather than cooling. Also Rekluse make a deeper clutch cover to increase oil capacity.

Anybody else have ideas on increasing oil capacity?

I can recommend Force radiator guards for frontal & side impact protection.
Recently did a 7 day outback ride with three WR450s. We had a support vehicle so the oil changes weren't a real problem.

One of the guys does a lot of work for Yamaha and Craig Dack and I have been told he/they are now working on the oil cooler / increased oil capacity problems. BUT THAT IS ALL I KNOW.
dnrobertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 04:39 AM   #22
Cheetah
Adventurer

I have found 1 solution that incorporates an oil cooler within a radiator. The unit is made by PWR Performance Products; I really like this concept of incorporating both into one. Simplicity at its best, no need to worry about where best to place a cooler & fittings. I first saw the kit in ADB ad section in the back which includes 2 radiators, silicon hoses, oil hose & adapter plate. There is no drilling & tapping involve for fitting this kit.

http://pwr.com.au/#view=products&s=rs
Old 01-11-2009, 10:39 PM   #23
ECKS-Man
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 838
Hey guys!

New WR250F rider here, picked up a near-new '07 model late last year and so far I must say it is great! Things that need attention for me include:

Force Radiator Guards - a must-have
Alloy bash plate to replace the stock plastic version
Ego Barkbusters to replace the stock version
Front forks need adjustment to suit a fat bugger!

I have Pivot Pegs on the way, as a special deal came up that was too good to miss. I'll be interested in seeing how these work out. I have tried them on mates bikes and thought they were quite nice. That, plus I bent a footpeg on my first ride!

As an ex-DRZ400 rider I am finding the WR a lot lighter and more nimble, although it doesn't have the legs of the 400 to be sure. Most of my riding is tight single track so the 250 actually suits me better. I'm not concerned about the intervals between oil changes, mostly because I was over the top with the DRZ and used a similar interval.

Here's a couple of pics from when I first picked it up:

Old 01-11-2009, 10:44 PM   #24
rhino_343 OP
Southern Explorer

Oddometer: 2,129
Welcome mate! Bike looks good, they sure are more nimble and light than the trailbike machines like your DRZ. Look forward to seeing some more pics. Make sure you get those bark busters on there or at least some plugs for those bar ends, don't want to hear you have taken a core sample of flesh!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECKS-Man
Hey guys!

New WR250F rider here, picked up a near-new '07 model late last year and so far I must say it is great! Things that need attention for me include:

Force Radiator Guards - a must-have
Alloy bash plate to replace the stock plastic version
Ego Barkbusters to replace the stock version
Front forks need adjustment to suit a fat bugger!

I have Pivot Pegs on the way, as a special deal came up that was too good to miss. I'll be interested in seeing how these work out. I have tried them on mates bikes and thought they were quite nice. That, plus I bent a footpeg on my first ride!

As an ex-DRZ400 rider I am finding the WR a lot lighter and more nimble, although it doesn't have the legs of the 400 to be sure. Most of my riding is tight single track so the 250 actually suits me better. I'm not concerned about the intervals between oil changes, mostly because I was over the top with the DRZ and used a similar interval.

Here's a couple of pics from when I first picked it up:

Tenere XT600 34L 1983 classic
rhino_343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 02:34 PM   #25
ECKS-Man
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 838
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhino_343
Welcome mate! Bike looks good, they sure are more nimble and light than the trailbike machines like your DRZ. Look forward to seeing some more pics. Make sure you get those bark busters on there or at least some plugs for those bar ends, don't want to hear you have taken a core sample of flesh!!
Yes, funny story there. When I bought the bike the seller told me "I've taken the barkbusters off, don't remember why though..." which struck me as weird at the time, but I figured that the bits were in a box and I would soon whack them on.

When I dug out the bits the bolts at the ends of the expanding bolts that go in the ends of the bar had no expanding nuts - you know the tapered ones. I immediately thought of some Hilti concrete bolts that I had and dug one out. The thread fit prefectly so I only had to find one more and I was right to go... and do you think I could find any???

So the first ride (pictured) I had no barkies and was most uncomfortable all day because of it!

Of course when I got home and wheeled the bike into the shed what did I see? Of course, the rest of the Hilti bolts were sitting on the bench not 5 yards from where I tried to fit the barkbusters the first time!

So now I'm all barkbustered up and ready to roll!
Old 01-13-2009, 04:23 AM   #26
jack82
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 279
These pics are too clear.........here's a shit one.

04 450........stock apart from bar risers & bashplate......fun bike.

Anyone tried a lowering link yet ??
jack82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 05:17 AM   #27
XTJohn
DIGITI EXTRACTUUS

Oddometer: 577
Anyone tried a lowering link yet ??

I spoke to Paul at MPE about lowering links for the WR and he recons they're no good because you can't lower the front to match and you end up riding a chopper! He can lower the suspension properly by 50mm for around $550. I haven't looked into it further yet but will need to do something as I suffer very badly from ducks disease.
Old 01-20-2009, 03:48 AM   #28
LC8TY
must......find.......fuel

Oddometer: 2,297
Yamaha "Dakartech" WR450F

12,000 euro ( about 40 million Aussie dollar ) for the kit from somewhere overseas.
Sorry, thats all I know.

to hear the cannonball a roar'n!
LC8TY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 05:04 AM   #29
rhino_343 OP
Southern Explorer

Oddometer: 2,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by LC8TY

12,000 euro ( about 40 million Aussie dollar ) for the kit from somewhere overseas.
Sorry, thats all I know.

Quality! That looks sick mate
Tenere XT600 34L 1983 classic
rhino_343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 09:34 AM   #30
guymcfly
Banned

Oddometer: 953
Quote:
Originally Posted by LC8TY

Sorry, thats all I know.

Looks very much like a Mecca system kit...I was going to ask if any1 know's what kit was on Fretigne's bike? (hope I spelt that correct).
guymcfly is offline   Reply With Quote