ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Australia
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-26-2009, 03:49 PM   #61
LC8TY
must......find.......fuel
 
LC8TY's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: was Kununurra, now Carnarvon, Australia
Oddometer: 2,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheetah
I am about to embark on an adventurisation of my 08 WR450, making it a capable long distance off roader. I have done the outback touring on a KTM 950 Super Enduro & now want to do the interesting Great Divide exploring. I have done some riding of this type on the SE but I find it over kill for the single track riding that I prefer to do.

List of mods I plan to do;
Cush drive rear wheel
oil cooler
Safari 15.5 l tank
thermo fan
GYTR full exhaust
Increase in fuel efficiency.

In the bikes current state of standard exhaust with GYTR insert, 15t front sprocket, 42 pilot, needle on position 2 from top, 165 main I am averaging 17.7km/l. Cruising down the open road it's getting 24km/l @ 90km/h. My aim is to get longer range through efficiency rather than strapping on a 44 gallon drum.

LC8TY, I noticed that you have a GYTR exhaust on yours, how much of an improvement in performance did it have?
Did you get the JD jet because of the change in exhaust? Was there a noticable change.
G'day Cheetah

The pipe on mine is the YZ GYTR, its a bigger bore than the stock one. It increases the power output slightly but the big difference is it shifts the torque more to bottom end/mid range with stock jetting. The JD kit makes it far more tuneable as the stock needle only has on clip position and the fuel screw is blocked off. The JD comes with good instruction and a list of base settings for various bike setups and altitude.

The WR adventure project sounds good, Ash's Spoked Wheels is the guru on cush drives for the WR, PWR do a radiator with an inbuilt oil cooler, I get around 220 - 250 Kms from my 16 ltr Safari tank.
__________________
Some men like the fish'n,
Some men like the foul'n,
Some men like to hear........
to hear the cannonball a roar'n!
LC8TY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 05:51 PM   #62
Cheetah
Adventurer
 
Cheetah's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: East Brisbane
Oddometer: 80
I have spoken with the guys at Ash's & have a RAD cush hub lined up. I have been down to PWR factory to have a look at the Stage 3 cooling kit. Very good setup but I am after a larger oil cooler to increase the oil volume in an effort to increase oil change intervals to 1000km or greater.

I have done similar work to the previous bike, WR426. I would change the oil at 1200km with no ill effect. The bike only had the titanium valves replaced with stainless & new cam chain at about 5000km. When I sold the bike late last year it had done 20000km, 2 Finke Desert races, & numerous other off road races. Still the original bore, pistion, rings, & clutch plates.

Compression was still higher than factory; goes to show when someone that knows what they are doing with valve work makes a world of difference.
The GYTR pipe sounds like the way to go as the extra pulling power down low will help in running taller gearing at lower revs.
Cheetah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 10:48 AM   #63
stevh0
Super Retard.
 
stevh0's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Cape Town, ZA
Oddometer: 1,270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheetah
I am about to embark on an adventurisation of my 08 WR450, making it a capable long distance off roader. I have done the outback touring on a KTM 950 Super Enduro & now want to do the interesting Great Divide exploring. I have done some riding of this type on the SE but I find it over kill for the single track riding that I prefer to do.

List of mods I plan to do;
Cush drive rear wheel
oil cooler
Safari 15.5 l tank
thermo fan
GYTR full exhaust
Increase in fuel efficiency.

In the bikes current state of standard exhaust with GYTR insert, 15t front sprocket, 42 pilot, needle on position 2 from top, 165 main I am averaging 17.7km/l. Cruising down the open road it's getting 24km/l @ 90km/h. My aim is to get longer range through efficiency rather than strapping on a 44 gallon drum.

LC8TY, I noticed that you have a GYTR exhaust on yours, how much of an improvement in performance did it have?
Did you get the JD jet because of the change in exhaust? Was there a noticable change.
Id love to see this!!

Ive run my bike for 8000km as a dp with plenty of wheelies through the gears and have not had any gearbox issues?

is the cush drive really nec?
__________________
KTM950SE
Honda XR650R
Yamaha YZ250WR
stevh0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 10:49 AM   #64
stevh0
Super Retard.
 
stevh0's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Cape Town, ZA
Oddometer: 1,270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheetah
I have spoken with the guys at Ash's & have a RAD cush hub lined up. I have been down to PWR factory to have a look at the Stage 3 cooling kit. Very good setup but I am after a larger oil cooler to increase the oil volume in an effort to increase oil change intervals to 1000km or greater.

I have done similar work to the previous bike, WR426. I would change the oil at 1200km with no ill effect. The bike only had the titanium valves replaced with stainless & new cam chain at about 5000km. When I sold the bike late last year it had done 20000km, 2 Finke Desert races, & numerous other off road races. Still the original bore, pistion, rings, & clutch plates.

Compression was still higher than factory; goes to show when someone that knows what they are doing with valve work makes a world of difference.
The GYTR pipe sounds like the way to go as the extra pulling power down low will help in running taller gearing at lower revs.
current oil change intervals as per Yamaha manual is 1000km ??
__________________
KTM950SE
Honda XR650R
Yamaha YZ250WR
stevh0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 03:25 PM   #65
Cheetah
Adventurer
 
Cheetah's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: East Brisbane
Oddometer: 80
Stevh0

I'm going the cush drive to remove the risk of trashing the gearbox from long runs on bitumen & hard pack dirt roads. I doing the prevention is better than the cure method. A lot of the Safari racers put cush drives on their bikes for this very reason.

Oil change intervals I thought were 500km?

I'll post photos of the project progress as they happen.
Cheetah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 03:56 PM   #66
LC8TY
must......find.......fuel
 
LC8TY's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: was Kununurra, now Carnarvon, Australia
Oddometer: 2,297
My manual for the 07 says 1000km oil changes.

I do it at 500km or less.
__________________
Some men like the fish'n,
Some men like the foul'n,
Some men like to hear........
to hear the cannonball a roar'n!
LC8TY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 05:43 PM   #67
The Fireman
on the edge
 
The Fireman's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Central west NSW Aust
Oddometer: 257
Wr 450 pic's

Helped a mate out with his Wr450 in a comp a little while ago.

Thought I better get around to posting some pic's.




__________________
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars
to the saddle

98% Of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home.
- Anonymous

The Fireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 08:14 PM   #68
ECKS-Man
Studly Adventurer
 
ECKS-Man's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: Central West NSW Australia
Oddometer: 731
Yeah, not a bad job you did too mate! Shame about the rider eh!

You do all that hard work and all the rider can do is win the race outright! Not sure I'd be happy with that if I were you!
__________________
Work to live, Live to Ride!
ECKS-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 08:50 PM   #69
The Fireman
on the edge
 
The Fireman's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Central west NSW Aust
Oddometer: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECKS-Man
Yeah, not a bad job you did too mate! Shame about the rider eh!

You do all that hard work and all the rider can do is win the race outright! Not sure I'd be happy with that if I were you!

All I did was put fuel in it , the rest is up to the Rider!

The guy in the pic is one of my best mates and a bit of a legend, he built the bike!

Todd is a pleasure to work with and the rest of his family and extended family are really great people.
It was an honor and pleasure to help him out.
Just hope he does well at finke and then the big one!!!
__________________
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars
to the saddle

98% Of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home.
- Anonymous

The Fireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 03:17 AM   #70
LC8TY
must......find.......fuel
 
LC8TY's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: was Kununurra, now Carnarvon, Australia
Oddometer: 2,297
WR 450 Rallye, aussie style

I've got all the parts, just need the time to put it all together.

Stay tuned.






__________________
Some men like the fish'n,
Some men like the foul'n,
Some men like to hear........
to hear the cannonball a roar'n!
LC8TY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 06:03 PM   #71
Cheetah
Adventurer
 
Cheetah's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: East Brisbane
Oddometer: 80
Just got the pipe today, even after a short ride around the block you can notice that the bike runs so much smoother & pulls nicely from low revs. Tomorrow I will do some testing at Glasshouse & some fine tuning.

Cush drive wheel & 15l Safari tank still 2-3 weeks away.

Cheetah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 02:29 PM   #72
twotyred
Practising Recedivist
 
twotyred's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: Bruthen Victoria
Oddometer: 1,734
I was reading in the latest Australian Trailrider magazine the other day on their project WR450F where they experienced the (apparently) common problem of front suspension fade after a short amount of time

The guys at Teknik have an answer to this.

http://www.teknikracing.com/information/WR-Forks-Fix
__________________
If you succeed at first...don't look surprised!!

More enthusiasm than ability!!
twotyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 10:53 PM   #73
rhino_343 OP
Southern Explorer
 
rhino_343's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Yallingup Western Australia
Oddometer: 2,120
Thumper Talks list of WR performance updates... all models and pretty much all mods!

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=440372
__________________
Moto Guzzi Griso 1100
Suzuki DR650SE P I G
Husaberg FE350
Southern Explorers trail and adventure riding group contact me for details
rhino_343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 03:05 AM   #74
LC8TY
must......find.......fuel
 
LC8TY's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: was Kununurra, now Carnarvon, Australia
Oddometer: 2,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by twotyred
I was reading in the latest Australian Trailrider magazine the other day on their project WR450F where they experienced the (apparently) common problem of front suspension fade after a short amount of time

The guys at Teknik have an answer to this.

http://www.teknikracing.com/information/WR-Forks-Fix
I read this just before I set of for a trail ride out the back of my place and thought " I've never had probs with the front forks bottoming out."

I bottomed them out four times this morning. I think I'll install the YZ forks before next weekends 700 km trail ride in the Gregory National park.

A pic of my extended back yard.
__________________
Some men like the fish'n,
Some men like the foul'n,
Some men like to hear........
to hear the cannonball a roar'n!
LC8TY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 12:14 AM   #75
The Fireman
on the edge
 
The Fireman's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Central west NSW Aust
Oddometer: 257
A pic of my extended back yard.
[/quote]
Noice view!!!
__________________
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars
to the saddle

98% Of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home.
- Anonymous

The Fireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014