ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Australia
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-01-2009, 12:29 AM   #76
stevh0
Super Retard.
 
stevh0's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Cape Town, ZA
Oddometer: 1,373
I did a 150km trail yesterday in pouring down rain with some mates.

Was very different to what im used to, but the bike enjoyed the mud!









ofcorse the little yamaha thrives on these conditions....
__________________
Honda XR650R
Yamaha YZ250WR
Ex 950SE
Ex 950ADV
Ex SM610, FS570, WR450, Africa Twin(s)
stevh0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 07:48 PM   #77
Cheetah
Adventurer
 
Cheetah's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: East Brisbane
Oddometer: 80
Radiator/Oil Cooler

New radiators have arrived, as you can see from the photo the PWR units are thicker than stock. The rest of the dimensions are the same as stock, the Force radiator guards fit with some mods. Just had to remove 1/2 cm diameter from the bottom corner to give more clearence for one oil fitting. I'll have more postings up tonight showing rad, oil lines & guards in place.

The Safari 15.5 litre tank does not fit if you have Force guards and possibly others. Looks like I will have to get an IMS or Clarke tank instead; prefer the Safari tank though.







Cheetah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 10:13 PM   #78
LC8TY
must......find.......fuel
 
LC8TY's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: was Kununurra, now Carnarvon, Australia
Oddometer: 2,297
Here's a few pics of the Gregory National park trail ride I did a few weeks ago in the NT.

Plenty of water crossings and a few drowned bikes, no WR's were harmed though.


On the last day we had a wheely competition.


How do you celebrate winning? with another wheely!
__________________
Some men like the fish'n,
Some men like the foul'n,
Some men like to hear........
to hear the cannonball a roar'n!
LC8TY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 12:09 AM   #79
stevh0
Super Retard.
 
stevh0's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Cape Town, ZA
Oddometer: 1,373
Im trying to sort out my gearing now but not sure what combo I would like to run.

I love the stock setup (14-50) But I also liked the 15-50 for the road. must admit I need something faster tho as my bike tops out at 141kph on the gps with the 15 counter on.


I thought about dropping a 44 on the back so i could bump that 141 figure up to about 150+ kph. what im really trying to do is bring the rpm down when im out on the gravel roads just cruising... And should a 990KTM or Gs want to play I would have enough topend to atleast stay with them.

so in my calculations with a 44 on the back dropping a 12 on the front would give me the same ratio as the 14-50 combo ...


what else would you guess recommend?
__________________
Honda XR650R
Yamaha YZ250WR
Ex 950SE
Ex 950ADV
Ex SM610, FS570, WR450, Africa Twin(s)
stevh0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 12:12 AM   #80
stevh0
Super Retard.
 
stevh0's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Cape Town, ZA
Oddometer: 1,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheetah
New radiators have arrived, as you can see from the photo the PWR units are thicker than stock. The rest of the dimensions are the same as stock, the Force radiator guards fit with some mods. Just had to remove 1/2 cm diameter from the bottom corner to give more clearence for one oil fitting. I'll have more postings up tonight showing rad, oil lines & guards in place.

The Safari 15.5 litre tank does not fit if you have Force guards and possibly others. Looks like I will have to get an IMS or Clarke tank instead; prefer the Safari tank though.







would you look at selling the safari tank?
__________________
Honda XR650R
Yamaha YZ250WR
Ex 950SE
Ex 950ADV
Ex SM610, FS570, WR450, Africa Twin(s)
stevh0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 07:21 PM   #81
Cheetah
Adventurer
 
Cheetah's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: East Brisbane
Oddometer: 80
Upgrade cooling system

I am nearly finished the the project, just a couple of mods to go. I install the PWR rads & oil cooler. Both rads fitted within the Force guards without major cutting. You can see where I radiused the bottom corner to give the oil line nut plenty of clearance. Elongated the lower mounting holes on the rad guards to give more clearance behind the rads.




Oil cooler adaptor in place. Everthing fitted without mods & with planned routing to the oil line, nothing touches any sharp edges or header pipe. Fitting the adaptor plate was trickier because I am running a different header pipe which hangs lower. If you are running a stock pipe it will be a breeze.






Plenty of clearance in front of the rads

Cheetah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 07:39 PM   #82
Cheetah
Adventurer
 
Cheetah's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: East Brisbane
Oddometer: 80
Tank fitting

Fitting the tank is not an easy task with radiator guards like Force & I would image B&B. When I first tried putting the tank in place, the Force guards would foul the leading edge of the tank. After speaking with the dealer who contacted Safari, they assured me that the tank will fit after spreading apart the lower edges of the tank. Getting the tank to fit is a 2 person job, each grabbing a side of the tank and pulling it apart. Even with this method you still need to hit the tank with your fists or use a rubber mallet. Finally after getting it on & bolted in place I thought this will not do, I can't go through this everytime I need to take the tank off. I take the tank off after every ride to wash the bike. My other option was to take the tank back & get an IMS or Clarke tank. I really like the shape & capacity of the Safari tank, but what to do. The solution I came up with.... fill the tank 3/4 with boiling water. This will soften the tank just enough to allow it to reform around the wider section of the Force guands. Leave the water in there until it cools & now the tank comes on & off just like the original.

Cheetah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 07:47 PM   #83
rhino_343 OP
Southern Explorer
 
rhino_343's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Yallingup Western Australia
Oddometer: 2,128
Interesting fix cheetah, I might try the same. I have the IMS tank on mine and I just fitted Force radiator guards on saturday... hell of a battle to get tank back on. More worried about the fact that I couldnt attach the lower wings of the tank to the radiator as I used to be able to without the radiator guards and also that the tank is constantly in contact with the radiators, which will rub a hole eventually I reckon. When you have reshaped yours have you ended up with a gap around the radiators or is it touching?
__________________
Moto Guzzi Griso 1100
Suzuki DR650SE P I G
Husaberg FE350
Tenere XT600 34L 1983 classic
rhino_343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 08:20 PM   #84
Cheetah
Adventurer
 
Cheetah's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: East Brisbane
Oddometer: 80
Sounds like you might have to trim some of the ribbing behind the lower wings. I put some pack around the edge of the guards to give it some extra clearance. I put lengths of large diameter clear plastic tubing on the sharp edges so the tank rests on it. I will have to check after some riding to see if there is any rubbing that needs attention.
Cheetah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 04:36 AM   #85
dirt rider X
tropical traveller
 
dirt rider X's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2002
Location: Townsville, Australia
Oddometer: 399
radiator guards

bought an '08 WR450F a few weeks ago with 296k's on it. sweet!

Picked up second hand Safari tank and had read the Force guards (along with others) wouldn't fit so its interesting to hear they can be made to fit.

A guy locally rides his '07 to work every day, has done 24000k's and hasn't had the valves adjusted or the engine touch at all yet.
He uses Motul 300V which happens to be the same oil Safariberg swears makes Husabergs last and last so thats good enought for me.

Any opinions on which bash plate is best?
Does the whipps come up any higher on the sides than the B&B?
Any one seen a Ballards one in the flesh?
__________________
“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again;
dirt rider X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 02:41 PM   #86
Cheetah
Adventurer
 
Cheetah's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: East Brisbane
Oddometer: 80
Nice pick up.

If you do the boiling water trick, make sure you put pack down the length of the radiator guards to give it clearance. Get some of that clear plastic tubing about 25mm in diameter, split it length ways & attach. Bunning have it in 1 metre lengths in the irrigation section.

I have a bashplate from Ballards on mine, what I do like about it is that it is the only one come up to cover section where the frame divides. Other I have seen do not cover this area and you will have mud & stone flying up into the area where the dipstick is located.



Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt rider X
bought an '08 WR450F a few weeks ago with 296k's on it. sweet!

Picked up second hand Safari tank and had read the Force guards (along with others) wouldn't fit so its interesting to hear they can be made to fit.

A guy locally rides his '07 to work every day, has done 24000k's and hasn't had the valves adjusted or the engine touch at all yet.
He uses Motul 300V which happens to be the same oil Safariberg swears makes Husabergs last and last so thats good enought for me.

Any opinions on which bash plate is best?
Does the whipps come up any higher on the sides than the B&B?
Any one seen a Ballards one in the flesh?
Cheetah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 02:55 AM   #87
dirt rider X
tropical traveller
 
dirt rider X's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2002
Location: Townsville, Australia
Oddometer: 399
thanks Cheetah

I'll get some Force guards and give it a go.
I might blow it up a bit too, the Safari site mentions blowing them out to 18lts for the Safari bikes
The Ballards bash plate is well priced too.
__________________
“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again;
dirt rider X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 03:07 AM   #88
stevh0
Super Retard.
 
stevh0's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Cape Town, ZA
Oddometer: 1,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheetah
I am nearly finished the the project, just a couple of mods to go. I install the PWR rads & oil cooler. Both rads fitted within the Force guards without major cutting. You can see where I radiused the bottom corner to give the oil line nut plenty of clearance. Elongated the lower mounting holes on the rad guards to give more clearance behind the rads.




Oil cooler adaptor in place. Everthing fitted without mods & with planned routing to the oil line, nothing touches any sharp edges or header pipe. Fitting the adaptor plate was trickier because I am running a different header pipe which hangs lower. If you are running a stock pipe it will be a breeze.






Plenty of clearance in front of the rads

What did the oil cooler kit set you back?
__________________
Honda XR650R
Yamaha YZ250WR
Ex 950SE
Ex 950ADV
Ex SM610, FS570, WR450, Africa Twin(s)
stevh0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 02:21 PM   #89
Cheetah
Adventurer
 
Cheetah's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: East Brisbane
Oddometer: 80
The kit cost $1050, known as the Stage 3 cooling kit. This includes 2 radiators, slicone radiator hoses, oil lines & oil filter cover.
Cheetah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 11:59 PM   #90
stevh0
Super Retard.
 
stevh0's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Cape Town, ZA
Oddometer: 1,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheetah
The kit cost $1050, known as the Stage 3 cooling kit. This includes 2 radiators, slicone radiator hoses, oil lines & oil filter cover.
Au $? or USD?
__________________
Honda XR650R
Yamaha YZ250WR
Ex 950SE
Ex 950ADV
Ex SM610, FS570, WR450, Africa Twin(s)
stevh0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014