ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2013, 05:25 AM   #1546
vabuckaroo68
Gnarly!

Oddometer: 1,176
Switch to Heidenaughs and you won't need to change near as often
04 KTM 950ADV ~ "BEASTIE", '13 KTM 300XCW, '76 Husky 360WR/CR,
vabuckaroo68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 05:43 AM   #1547
XC Rider
Motorcycle Vagabond

Oddometer: 2,893
Quote:
Originally Posted by FATNBLD View Post
Hey all, I'm looking to save a little money on tires, specifically the labor they charge for having them installed. When Virginia Power Motorsports would do them for $20 (on the bike) it was a no-brainer, but at the rate I go through tires, and the $60 they want to charge now, I'm ready to try it myself.

Never changed a tire on a motorcycle, but I understand the basic principles (changed many a bicycle tire). What I'm looking for is someone that already has all the tools necessary to do the job. I'll bring my KLR, and my tire to your house (or you come to mine) and you let me use your tools and guide me through the process.

I want to do all the work, and I want to be able to do it on my own next time, assuming it's not too much of a pain in the ass. I just want you to supervise, assuming you've done it before and can stop me before I screw anything up.

Also planning to install a new chain, so maybe we could do this all at the same time. Hoping to do this sometime in the next several weeks, I'll be ordering my tire and chain this week.

I'll order a pizza and supply the tasty beverage of your choice for anyone willing to help this maintenance newby out.

Thanks in advance to all of you that flood this thread with offers!
I'd be happy to help you out; I've changed tires from the comfort of my and a friend's garage to in the middle of a gravel lot in front of a motel up in the Yukon Territory (I was the afternoon entertainement apparently! ). I'd say come on over to my place in Madison but I'm still getting unpacked & settled in so it'd be easier for me just to come to your place. I'm free just about every night for the foreseeable future so just send me a PM and we'll work out the details.
SpotWalla: WHERE IS XC RIDER!?
XC Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 11:35 AM   #1548
FATNBLD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by vabuckaroo68 View Post
Switch to Heidenaughs and you won't need to change near as often
Going to do it this time. Do you buy yours at Morton's or order them online? If so, what site?

Also, should i ordeer a new innertube and rim strap too? Are those typically replaced along with the tire?

"You've got to put your shoulder up against the stone, it don't matter if you ever get it rolling." Band of Heathens - Shine a Light.
FATNBLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 11:38 AM   #1549
FATNBLD
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC Rider View Post
I'd be happy to help you out; I've changed tires from the comfort of my and a friend's garage to in the middle of a gravel lot in front of a motel up in the Yukon Territory (I was the afternoon entertainement apparently! ). I'd say come on over to my place in Madison but I'm still getting unpacked & settled in so it'd be easier for me just to come to your place. I'm free just about every night for the foreseeable future so just send me a PM and we'll work out the details.

Thanks XC. Ill let you know when I have the tire and chain, and am ready tackle it. I'm just a hop/skip/jump from you over here in Greene Acres.

Question about the chain, I searched the factory chain and did not see a Masterlink. Am I just not looking close enough or is there a chance it doesn't have one? If it doesn't, I assume we will need a chain breaker tool.

"You've got to put your shoulder up against the stone, it don't matter if you ever get it rolling." Band of Heathens - Shine a Light.
Old 08-10-2013, 01:27 PM   #1550
XC Rider
Motorcycle Vagabond

Quote:
Thanks XC. Ill let you know when I have the tire and chain, and am ready tackle it. I'm just a hop/skip/jump from you over here in Greene Acres.

Question about the chain, I searched the factory chain and did not see a Masterlink. Am I just not looking close enough or is there a chance it doesn't have one? If it doesn't, I assume we will need a chain breaker tool.
If it's the stock oem chain then yeah it's probably a riveted chain. No worries though I've got a chain breaker and angle grinder with cutting wheels if need be. Gimme a shout when the parts arrive. You may want to have a spare tube on hand in case the one that's I there is in bad shape, but I'd be surprised if the rim strip needed to be replaced.
Old 08-12-2013, 07:16 AM   #1551
bloochdog
Itinerant jackass

Oddometer: 5,765
Quote:
Hey all, I'm looking to save a little money on tires, specifically the labor they charge for having them installed. When Virginia Power Motorsports would do them for $20 (on the bike) it was a no-brainer, but at the rate I go through tires, and the $60 they want to charge now, I'm ready to try it myself.

Never changed a tire on a motorcycle, but I understand the basic principles (changed many a bicycle tire). What I'm looking for is someone that already has all the tools necessary to do the job. I'll bring my KLR, and my tire to your house (or you come to mine) and you let me use your tools and guide me through the process.

I want to do all the work, and I want to be able to do it on my own next time, assuming it's not too much of a pain in the ass. I just want you to supervise, assuming you've done it before and can stop me before I screw anything up.

Also planning to install a new chain, so maybe we could do this all at the same time. Hoping to do this sometime in the next several weeks, I'll be ordering my tire and chain this week.

I'll order a pizza and supply the tasty beverage of your choice for anyone willing to help this maintenance newby out.

WE CAN HELP IF YOU CAN HOLD OFF ON THE TIRE CHANGE TIL OCT 11TH.

We will have a NOMAR tire changer set up at the BWDR CO for the whole weekend. All free to use it
Old 08-12-2013, 09:31 AM   #1552
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,930
Quote:

If you weren't so far away I'd say come up here as I have the tools, but I see Denis & especially Blooch have you covered! I may have to take him up on that offer too.

Quote:
Going to do it this time. Do you buy yours at Morton's or order them online? If so, what site?

Also, should i ordeer a new innertube and rim strap too? Are those typically replaced along with the tire?
If money is what your wanting to save and also to do it yourself, order them online. Do a search for "heidenau k60 tires". Shop around for the cheapest price. Don't forget some places offer free shipping on orders over a certain amount. There are at least four online stores that carry them.
As for inner tubes, there was a discussion in the perfect line a while back about tubes. Personally, if it ain't broke I don't replace it. Some in that thread replace their tubes at each tire change. That's ridiculous IMO. Hell, I still have the stock tubes(plus another set for spares) on my 1992 mtn bike and still have the stock tubes(plus spares) for the XRL. Sure, Ive had to patch them but I see no reason to replace unless they are showing signs of dry rot.
Same stock rim straps too. Yeah, I'm a cheap bastid!

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 11:31 AM   #1553
Bowtie76
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 318
Quote:

Well, you allready have some offers but I'm just across 33 from you in Twin Lakes, I've got a chain tool, and tire irons, wouldn't change a street time with them but they are plenty good for dirt tires. Plus a two car garage to keep the sun off of you.
Bowtie76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 11:41 PM   #1554
FATNBLD
Gnarly Adventurer

This is great, thanks to all offering. It may just come down to who's available as soon as I get the tire.

Old 08-13-2013, 09:10 AM   #1555
XC Rider
Motorcycle Vagabond

Quote:
This is great, thanks to all offering. It may just come down to who's available as soon as I get the tire.
exactly And there can be more than 1 helper/teacher.
Old 08-13-2013, 09:39 AM   #1556
mattgoff
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
Dunno if you found a source for these or not but Anton stocks a few different sizes and sold them to me at Revzilla's price...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
mattgoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 11:38 PM   #1557
FATNBLD
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowtie76 View Post
Well, you allready have some offers but I'm just across 33 from you in Twin Lakes, I've got a chain tool, and tire irons, wouldn't change a street time with them but they are plenty good for dirt tires. Plus a two car garage to keep the sun off of you.

I just ordered the Heidenau rear tire, a chain, K and N air and oil filters and some gloves on closeout from Rocky Mountain ATV/MC. They had the Heidenau in stock in my size and at at the same as the lowest price I found anywhere else. Also, free three day shipping.

Should be here early next week.

I am off Friday and Saturday next week.

I like the idea of a garaged work area and multiple helpers!

What time Friday or Saturday works best for you guys?

Old 08-15-2013, 08:46 AM   #1558
XC Rider
Motorcycle Vagabond

Quote:
What time Friday or Saturday works best for you guys?
I'm kinda making my own schedule (work wise) for the rest of the month, so I can arrange my time to be free just about whenever. I'll let others chime in who want to attend as well.
Old 08-16-2013, 09:15 AM   #1559
SRG
SRG

Oddometer: 1,214
Hey. Anyone out there have any fabric exhaust/header wrap? I only need a foot or 2 and the only local sources want to sell me 50 feet.

Thanks
Old 08-16-2013, 12:01 PM   #1560
vabuckaroo68
Gnarly!

Oddometer: 1,176
I have a part of a roll. Not sure at the moment how much. I'll check on that.
04 KTM 950ADV ~ "BEASTIE", '13 KTM 300XCW, '76 Husky 360WR/CR,
vabuckaroo68 is offline   Reply With Quote