ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2013, 02:59 PM   #1621
XC Rider
Motorcycle Vagabond

Oddometer: 2,821
Just read on the BWDR campout thread that chef Iamchaz will be providing us with BBQ on Saturday night! If you've never sampled his cooking, well I'll just say that you're missing out.

While there's no attendance fee to come, it's always nice to leave the host a few bucks when you leave (I do believe he will have his kegarator set up with at least one or two beer selections, there's ususally someone making coffee in the morning and we've often seen donuts/danishes available as well, etc...), and drop a few bucks in the hat for Iamchaz if you partake of the BBQ on Saturday night.
SpotWalla: WHERE IS XC RIDER!?
XC Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 03:04 PM   #1622
hooliken
Awesome is a flavor

Oddometer: 2,732
Quote:
Originally Posted by XC Rider View Post
Just another ADV gathering. Most people arrive some time on Friday and leave on Sunday. There's plenty of space to pitch a tent. There may be food being provided on either Friday or Saturday, I'm not sure; I'll look into it and report back. Either way, there's a Food Lion 10 minutes away and there will be a grill and other cooking apparatus you can use on the premises. If you prefer there's also a few restaurant options in the town of Elkton about 10 minutes away; El Paso is a fantastic Mexican place, but there are other options too. It's BYOB primarily, but there's always plenty of folks who are generous and share whatever goodies they've brought with them. Then during the day on Friday & Saturday there are usually several different group rides headed out; some rides may be the hardcore dirt folks, others may be more into the Forest Service roads type of ride, and there may be some who will stick mostly to pavement. Meet some folks, figure out who you want to go riding with, and go!

Then there's always a fun party on Friday & Saturday nights. Different type of refreshing adult beverages will be consumed, lots of laughs will be had, a few tall tales may be told............all in all a good time. Oh yeah, and a bonfire on one of those nights.

If there's anything I'm missing, just ask, and I'll do my best to answer.
I used to live in Ruckersville and Madison AND I worked on the build of the new Coors brewery. Actually thinking about strapping all my gear on the SE and heading up this Friday.

Cheers Ken
hooliken is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 03:05 PM   #1623
hooliken
Awesome is a flavor

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC Rider View Post
Just read on the BWDR campout thread that chef Iamchaz will be providing us with BBQ on Saturday night! If you've never sampled his cooking, well I'll just say that you're missing out.

While there's no attendance fee to come, it's always nice to leave the host a few bucks when you leave (I do believe he will have his kegarator set up with at least one or two beer selections, there's ususally someone making coffee in the morning and we've often seen donuts/danishes available as well, etc...), and drop a few bucks in the hat for Iamchaz if you partake of the BBQ on Saturday night.

I like the way this is heading....... Trying to recruit a couple more riders from my area to head up Friday with me.

And I am always more than happy to donate to a worthy cause.
Old 10-08-2013, 04:11 PM   #1624
vabuckaroo68
Gnarly!

Oddometer: 1,126
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooliken View Post
The Mrs. has her family reunion on Sunday in Madison County. Coming up early on Saturday and bringing the 450 with me. Anybody interested in either a Saturday afternoon, or early Sunday (reunion is at noon) blast up Blakey Ridge? Haven't ridden up there in a few years and wouldn't mind some company. Curious to see what Stove Pipe looks like now. Going to be staying about 2 miles from the Sheetz on 29, at Granny G's house.

Cheers Ken
Myself and my 450 may be up for that. I've been having jetting issues lately, but may have them sorted out. I'll know for sure by tomorrow evening. Rode up there earlier this year. Stovepipe you're referring to the road out of Aylor up to Blakey? (CRS moment)
04 KTM 950 ADV ~ "BEASTIE", '08 KTM 450 XCR-W, Husky 360 WR/CR, Bultaco Frontera 250
vabuckaroo68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 04:25 PM   #1625
hooliken
Awesome is a flavor

Quote:
Originally Posted by vabuckaroo68 View Post
Myself and my 450 may be up for that. I've been having jetting issues lately, but may have them sorted out. I'll know for sure by tomorrow evening. Rode up there earlier this year. Stovepipe you're referring to the road out of Aylor up to Blakey? (CRS moment)
Installed a JD jet kit with a flex-jet, and my RFS fueling issues mysteriously disappeared. There were a couple riders at the Shen 500, on FI KTM's, that were awfully curious as to why my old ass 450 was so snappy off idle, and roosting them out of corners. Had a couple folks complain about the softball size chunks that were being tossed off my rear XCMH.

Might strap camping gear on the 950 and ride up to check out the BWDR gathering. But I am always down for a blast over Stove Pipe. It was the first offroading I did on the SE when I bought it back in 2008, with the dude I bought it from, and he owned that trail on his GS. Dude on another GS riding with us, punched a hole in his engine case. Good Times....
Old 10-09-2013, 05:43 AM   #1626
OldnoGPS
Just a sightseer

Oddometer: 1,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooliken View Post
I used to live in Ruckersville ...
Cheers Ken
Hey Ken. We rode our SE's up on Flattop before you split for CO. Glad to see you're still around.
OldnoGPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 06:24 AM   #1627
hooliken
Awesome is a flavor

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldnoGPS View Post
Hey Ken. We rode our SE's up on Flattop before you split for CO. Glad to see you're still around.
What's going on my friend? Remember that ride well. Went up Flattop that winter before leaving and ended up burying the beast in some snow drifts.........good times.

Been to CO, WY, WI, and now back in VA......hopefully for good.

You still riding the SE or did you change up.
Old 10-09-2013, 08:45 AM   #1628
OldnoGPS
Just a sightseer

SE went back to it's original owner, about 2 miles from here. He just kindly offered it to me to ride to the Barber Vintage races but I declined - that thing is like a drug...
Bikeless at the moment, subject to change at any minute
Old 10-09-2013, 10:39 AM   #1629
hppyfngy
not dead yet

Oddometer: 4,036
Quote:
... subject to change at any minute
Yes. Yes, it is.

'13 KLR650 ~ For Sale!
hppyfngy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 11:14 AM   #1630
OldnoGPS
Just a sightseer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hppyfngy View Post
Yes. Yes, it is.
Hey, I'm trying. 0 for 3 just this week
one: "Just took a deposit on it last night"
two: raised the price after I contacted him about it, said a guy had already looked at it and made him an offer that he turned down but the guy was coming back with $$ - then emailed me that the guy didn't come back and it was still fs. Yep, guess it is.
three: offered to buy the bike but the guy was so hell bent to sell farkles off of it (after I told him I only wanted it as-is) that he wouldn't wait a few hours for me to try to arrange a way to get it here (after advertising that he'd help with delivery - not). Farkles gone today but it appears that he still has the bike...tsk,tsk.
Maybe I'll just wait until all the BMW guys buy their new 800GS ADV's and new 1200GSW Adv's (introduced yesterday) and get one of the old, depreciated ones. Or not.
Maybe Yamaha will put the new FZ-09 triple engine in a dual-sport chassis and bother Triumph. Or not.
Maybe I should just get another old Jap bike with enough extra electrical output to keep a heated liner and gloves going, ride it and grin. Yeah.
Old 10-09-2013, 11:24 AM   #1631
hppyfngy
not dead yet

Oddometer: 4,036
I know where there's a nice Wee that would get you through the winter. I'll throw in a Blue Sea fuse block I never got around to installing too...

Priced to sell!

'13 KLR650 ~ For Sale!
hppyfngy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 01:27 PM   #1632
mattgoff
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Quote:
three: offered to buy the bike but the guy was so hell bent to sell farkles off of it (after I told him I only wanted it as-is) that he wouldn't wait a few hours for me to try to arrange a way to get it here (after advertising that he'd help with delivery - not). Farkles gone today but it appears that he still has the bike...tsk,tsk.
If you get in a spot and need a trailer I know a guy that can help...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
mattgoff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 01:31 PM   #1633
OldnoGPS
Just a sightseer

Nice to know folks are willing to help an old codger out
Old 10-09-2013, 02:26 PM   #1634
hooliken
Awesome is a flavor

Quote:
Nice to know folks are willing to help an old codger out
We are not getting old man........it's called experience.

Riding with some of the younger guys last weekend at the Shen 500 was an eye opener....... Could run their pace about half a day, then had to ratchet it back, because if I got hurt my wife would kick my ass. Of course there was one dude older than me that was absolutely flying...but he said his wife doesn't give an F about him so.......

Thinking about getting rid of the XB12, since it has done nothing but short rides here and there since I got the 450. So, if you know anybody looking........................
Old 10-09-2013, 05:01 PM   #1635
FOXedupONE
Momafox can I ride?

Oddometer: 2,546
Quote:
Maybe Yamaha will put the new FZ-09 triple engine in a dual-sport chassis... Yeah.
The new Yamaha Triple engine and chassis in an affordable adv package would be a brilliant bike. I'd be surprised if like Honda and others they didn't use this platform for a family of bikes. Except the Honda family decided to go gutless, torquey but low HP, low redline high MPG bikes, the Yamaha 850cc option is way more exciting then that.

Here I am test fitting some luggage. It's not a sport tourer but a good all round bike should be able to do a bit of everything.

FOXedupONE is offline   Reply With Quote