ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2014, 05:15 PM   #1681
RedneckRider
Lost Again !!!

Oddometer: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldnoGPS View Post
^^^ Yep, we've explored many places, in all kinds of weather and every season.
Ron has an 800GS and a very well used KLR. He has comfy seats on both, so be prepared for big mile days if you ride with him
Thanks Ted for putting up with me !!! I sure have enjoyed all the riding we have done together !!!
RedneckRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 01:04 PM   #1682
4x4runer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Hi all, like to introduce myself. Living in Afton VA now, was in downtown C'ville but more space and a garage here. Also, a big plus being at the base of SNP and BRP. Nice on the weekdays when less traffic. Anyways, I'm 35 years old, bought my first bike a year ago - 06 KTM 625 smc to learn on. Ridden before but not legally . Got this bike to learn to ride, tinker on and dual sport on. I'm on disability now for shoulder surgery from many a dislocations from whitewater rafting and kayaking. Doctors doesn't want me to ride aggressively until July so won't likely see me till then. Not really riding with anyone now, but looking to change that when the doc give me the blessing. I don't really trust myself or my bike on longer rides. I'm mostly doing half day jaunts around nelson, Albemarle, augusta. Would love to explore tight twisties WV, dirts, even lighter trails.
I'm taking this time now to clean up the oil drips - liquid gold if you use what they want you to use (and I do because I'm a noob now). Anyways, I like wrenching, riding, camping blah blah blah. I have a friend that helped me change the tires, and gear the bike down for low end grunt. I just changed the gear shifter seal, put a new sight glass in, ripped the threads out of the caliper bracket, and getting ready to change the counter sprocket seal. Anyways, just wanted to say hi and hope to meet up with some people in the summer.

Cheers Sid
4x4runer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 04:39 PM   #1683
SRG
SRG

Oddometer: 1,126
Hey Sid,

Welcome. Nice choice of a first bike - nothing like jumping right into the deep end. I had an '02 640 Adv and an '02 640 E up until not too long ago. Both were great bikes for the area - yours is too.

There is plenty of gravel around to explore. If you can find Sherando on a map, look for FR42/Coal Rd. going towards Vesuvius. About 10 miles up FR42 there is a jeep trail up to the BRP. It comes out at MM 23.5/Bald Head Mt. overlook. Form there you ca go towards Montebello via more gravel, up and over the blue ridge on 56 towards Vesuvius, then back to FR42 to Sherando, then the paved/gravel shortcut to Afton. It's a fun loop.

If the snow ever goes away, I'd be happy to show you the way.

Stephen (SRG)
Old 03-04-2014, 07:49 AM   #1684
4x4runer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRG View Post
Hey Sid,

Welcome. Nice choice of a first bike - nothing like jumping right into the deep end. I had an '02 640 Adv and an '02 640 E up until not too long ago. Both were great bikes for the area - yours is too.

There is plenty of gravel around to explore. If you can find Sherando on a map, look for FR42/Coal Rd. going towards Vesuvius. About 10 miles up FR42 there is a jeep trail up to the BRP. It comes out at MM 23.5/Bald Head Mt. overlook. Form there you ca go towards Montebello via more gravel, up and over the blue ridge on 56 towards Vesuvius, then back to FR42 to Sherando, then the paved/gravel shortcut to Afton. It's a fun loop.

If the snow ever goes away, I'd be happy to show you the way.

Stephen (SRG)
Hey Stephen, I'm also into mountain biking and before that, I modified a 4Runner with a lift and locked rear end and have found most of the 4wheel drive trails around here. I've done the 4wheel drive trail off of the coal road to the brp and have also done shoe creek around crabtree falls on the 625. Much fun but have been riding it by myself and have taken quite a few get offs, that why I need to find riding partners. Looking forward to late summer. Starting to collect some gear (pick up bad habits of riding minimalist style, not good).
I just found the Blue Ridge Trail thread on advrider and looks amazing, hoping to explore more stuff like that with others. Have to figure out how to strap gear onto the bike. Have lots of ultralight backpacking gear, just need to figure out my system - that part of the fun.
I did some research before buying the bike and my brothers had a lot of different style bikes from street to cruisers and somehow I managed to have them for several months so I kind of knew that I wanted something simple but versatile for my 1st bike. I test rode the drz sm but relazied I would out grow it. The 625 is perfect for me now.
Do you know if there is a good group of wrenching folks around here. I love wrenching but can get myself stumped pretty easily. Would like to find some like minded people.
Thanks for saying hello Stephen

Sid
4x4runer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 04:56 PM   #1685
SRG
SRG

Oddometer: 1,126
Sid,

Sounds like you know your way around pretty well. Maybe you could show me around some.

I've got a set of Wolfman E12 bags on my current dual sport. They work well for me, but I do day trips only - no camping. A Kriega backpack also works well on the moto.

Mechanics - when I had my LC4's I depended on mail order parts and advice/searches on ADVrider or KTMtalk - you do know the LC4 specific thread on this forum, right? There are a couple of moto gearheads around that have helped me when I have a problem above my pay grade.

We'll ride together soon.

Stephen
Old 03-05-2014, 04:16 PM   #1686
grimmboy
Chris Grimm

Oddometer: 867
I love winter and snow but I'm F'ing over this crap.

With you SRG I wanna ride.

Enjoy the evening, Grimmy
grimmboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 04:31 PM   #1687
biker128pedal
Super Lurker

Oddometer: 2,738
Enjoy a nice ride.

This weekend will be nicer.

Wee Strommin along.
biker128pedal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 06:12 PM   #1688
vabuckaroo68
Gnarly!

Oddometer: 1,129
Nice Weather + Completed Maintainence = FUN

Finally finished maintenance on the 950 today. Replaced dead factory fuel pump with a Facet and Crappy Yousa battery with Earth X battery. CPR filter, CJ's flex jets, Pro Jets jet kit. Couldn't believe it...turned the key, hit start and she fired right up. CJ's jetting recommendations spot on. Weather change couldn't have come at a better time!

Less
More
04 KTM 950 ADV ~ "BEASTIE", '08 KTM 450 XCR-W, Husky 360 WR/CR, Bultaco Frontera 250
vabuckaroo68 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 10:22 AM   #1689
hppyfngy
not dead yet

Oddometer: 4,050
Just put my KLR up in the Flea Market if anyone is looking for one.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=961961

'13 KLR 650 For Sale!
hppyfngy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 11:57 AM   #1690
OldnoGPS
Just a sightseer

Oddometer: 1,251
And we know how well prepared that particular KLR is
OldnoGPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 12:28 PM   #1691
hppyfngy
not dead yet

Oddometer: 4,050
It was perfect 6 months ago. It's even better now!

'13 KLR 650 For Sale!
hppyfngy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 08:20 PM   #1692
tuffstuff
Livin' Life

Oddometer: 482
Cville Area Ride Weekend Planning

Hey Cville and area riders. After DZ23451 and I met up with SST this weekend and some chatter on the tag thread it seems there is a small contingent interested in a ride weekend. We'll see if we can put together a good mostly dirt road and trail route that could be friendly to most bikes and riders - then setup a place to eat. I'll post this on the RTE thread too when we get a date and better plans.

Feel free to reply if you have a specific weekend upcoming that you'd love to see this happen. I'd like to see it sometime in April if possible. Be good to get everyone together again for a ride similar to the Ruth Mountain one we did a year or more ago.
tuffstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 04:05 AM   #1693
2 spoke
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffstuff View Post
Hey Cville and area riders. After DZ23451 and I met up with SST this weekend and some chatter on the tag thread it seems there is a small contingent interested in a ride weekend. We'll see if we can put together a good mostly dirt road and trail route that could be friendly to most bikes and riders - then setup a place to eat. I'll post this on the RTE thread too when we get a date and better plans.

Feel free to reply if you have a specific weekend upcoming that you'd love to see this happen. I'd like to see it sometime in April if possible. Be good to get everyone together again for a ride similar to the Ruth Mountain one we did a year or more ago.

Count me in
2 spoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 01:06 PM   #1694
grimmboy
Chris Grimm

Oddometer: 867
I used to have a riding partner named SST......

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffstuff View Post

grimmboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 03:32 PM   #1695
biker128pedal
Super Lurker

Oddometer: 2,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimmboy View Post
I used to have a riding partner named SST......

I'll ride with you. I just need an inspection sticker. And don't hit a tree and bend you handlebars.

Wee Strommin along.
biker128pedal is offline   Reply With Quote