ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2009, 05:16 AM   #166
OldnoGPS
Just a sightseer

Oddometer: 1,275
Just to clarify what I said about Wayne's:

Greg and Mr. Hensley are great folks. Obviously, I don't agree with their tire policy but it's their business, not mine. Greg has told me the same liability concern which I don't agree with - his explanation is that the straps the shippers use warp the tires and that's what causes tires not to seat properly, etc. Their tires get shipped the same way, so - you can make your own assumptions. Other shops - including dealers - seem to have no issue with mounting tires for people and appreciate the business. My bigger beef is how rudely I was treated by not one, but two of the service guys. It was a big issue, Greg and I have dealt with it. One of the folks is no longer there (or I haven't seen him for a long time) and the other guy and I just exchange evil looks/ignore each other. I have a very long association with Wayne's, back to the 70's when two of my friends were Yamaha techs there and Mr. Hensley let me and one of those techs compete on a shop TY250 and we all raced MX. Greg was a teenager.
Like I said, they're great folks. I'll likely buy another bike there and have done so since the tire incident. No shop is perfect. Just don't take your purchased elsewhere tires there.
OldnoGPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 04:23 PM   #167
hppyfngy
not dead yet

Oddometer: 4,058
They are very good guys at Wayne's, I agree.

I also have had the displeasure of being refused a tire job there. I had tires, carried them in with rims from this electric mini-bike I have and they wouldn't touch them.

I had just bought my KLX from them that week and I was a little more than annoyed...

But as you say, they have the right.

I've turned down jobs before,...only I can't recall turning someone down who had just handed me $5k...

'13 KLR 650 For Sale!
hppyfngy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 06:39 PM   #168
revanerand
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Well I can say this: I'm sold on Tim at Morris Cycles. He mounted my tires for 100.00 total and he even had some rear pads in stock since mine were toast.

Better yet, he let me watch the whole process while talking to me about bikes, what maintenance I should do, and what I shouldn't bother with. He gave me some tips since I will be doing most of it myself and was all around one of the nicest guys you'd ever want to meet. I'll recommend him to anyone.

Plus, next time I'll buy my tires through him just to help him out. He did say that anyone who wants tires mounted that they didn't buy should come on down. :

Thanks for turning me on to him, guys. I owe you one!
Old 03-17-2009, 04:27 AM   #169
Jack90210
mindful

Oddometer: 15,106
Quote:
Originally Posted by revanerand
Well I can say this: I'm sold on Tim at Morris Cycles. He mounted my tires for 100.00 total and he even had some rear pads in stock since mine were toast.
Tim is Good People. He's been wrenching on my bikes since I started riding (in 1990) -- I would take my KZ650 to Shenk Honda (where "Circa" is now, at the corner of Allied and Harris Street, just off of McIntire) and he was a helpful wrench there. Later he was at Jarman's for a long time.

I must say that my son has exposed a reservoir of love and of worry within me that I never knew existed. --nskitts, 9/2/12
Jack90210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 04:51 AM   #170
OldnoGPS
Just a sightseer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack90210
Tim is Good People. He's been wrenching on my bikes since I started riding (in 1990) -- I would take my KZ650 to Shenk Honda (where "Circa" is now, at the corner of Allied and Harris Street, just off of McIntire) and he was a helpful wrench there. Later he was at Jarman's for a long time.
And just to date myself further...
Tim was at Jarman's before Shenk. He went back after Shenk closed their C'ville shop, he drove to H'burg for a while but got tired of it.
I'm thinking the Shenk gig was during or just after I worked with Tim's ex-wife.

He's also very helpful with track day stuff. Grimmboy got his AHRMA race license a few years ago, I went up to crew. Tim helped Chris before and during, let us hang with him at Summit Point and offered help and advice.
Good guy.
Old 03-20-2009, 07:35 AM   #171
hppyfngy
not dead yet

Hey, the Super Sherpa is Back!

Wayne's has one. Will I give away my age if I say nifty?

'13 KLR 650 For Sale!
Old 03-21-2009, 06:34 AM   #172
HBN
is car free

Oddometer: 11,938
Gee gang, that sure is swell!
HBurgNinja - The Thread | HBN Boondocking the Nation | Beards to Canada
HBN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 05:36 AM   #173
Gimmeslack
furthur

Oddometer: 2,468
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldnoGPS
And just to date myself further...
Tim was at Jarman's before Shenk. He went back after Shenk closed their C'ville shop, he drove to H'burg for a while but got tired of it.
I'm thinking the Shenk gig was during or just after I worked with Tim's ex-wife.

He's also very helpful with track day stuff. Grimmboy got his AHRMA race license a few years ago, I went up to crew. Tim helped Chris before and during, let us hang with him at Summit Point and offered help and advice.
Good guy.
Is this Tim a tall'ish guy who was parts manager at Shenk back mid-80's? Had a beard back then?

"If you hold a cat by the tail, you learn things you cannot learn any other way."

Twain
Gimmeslack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 06:49 AM   #174
Jack90210
mindful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimmeslack
Is this Tim a tall'ish guy who was parts manager at Shenk back mid-80's? Had a beard back then?
I think you might be thinking of Bill Ordell, as I don't ever remember Tim having a beard. And Tim is pretty tall, over 6 feet.

I must say that my son has exposed a reservoir of love and of worry within me that I never knew existed. --nskitts, 9/2/12
Old 03-22-2009, 09:26 AM   #175
OldnoGPS
Just a sightseer

Sounds more like Bill. I grew up about a mile from Bill and his brother David, we rode horses in a 4H pony club together when we were kids.
Old 03-22-2009, 01:06 PM   #176
Jack90210
mindful

Quote:
I grew up about a mile from Bill and his brother David, we rode horses in a 4H pony club together when we were kids.
I should have known.

Old 03-22-2009, 05:53 PM   #177
Gimmeslack
furthur

Oddometer: 2,468
Quote:
Sounds more like Bill. I grew up about a mile from Bill and his brother David, we rode horses in a 4H pony club together when we were kids.
Yep. I'm just getting senile. I'm visualizing Bill, but I also remember a Tim. Just can't put a face to him.

Bought my first sportbike (VF750) after walking in there and seeing Lee G's Interceptor in the back. Next thing you know I was shopping for one and worse yet those guys we're telling me I should come out to Summit .

Nice shop and great bunch of guys...

"If you hold a cat by the tail, you learn things you cannot learn any other way."

Twain

Gimmeslack screwed with this post 03-24-2009 at 08:30 AM
Gimmeslack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 11:14 AM   #178
HBN
is car free

Friday Skyline Drive Dinner
Old 03-26-2009, 12:36 PM   #179
HBN
is car free

A Tale of the Ragged Mountains (1844)

Witten by Edgar Allen Poe and set S.W. of Charlottesville in the Ragged Mountains.
Old 03-26-2009, 02:25 PM   #180
hppyfngy
not dead yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBurgNinja
A Tale of the Ragged Mountains (1844)

Witten by Edgar Allen Poe and set S.W. of Charlottesville in the Ragged Mountains.

That was good. I'd never heard of it. Thanks HBN

'13 KLR 650 For Sale!