ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2014, 07:34 PM   #1816
biker128pedal
Super Lurker

Oddometer: 2,900
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldnoGPS View Post
Five of them to be exact. I've been known to ride KLR's, DR's, DRZ's (currently) and other peasant models too.

You forgot the other peasant ride. The DL. I guess I'm a peasant. Is an XR250L a peasant ride or vintage?

Wee Strommin along.
biker128pedal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 07:54 PM   #1817
SRG
SRG

Oddometer: 1,214
Quite a flurry of activity here. Enough energy to actually go for a ride?

Nice weather for the next couple of afternoons?

I guess my minibike might keep up w/ the big boys.

PS - don't speed through Earlysville.
Old 08-26-2014, 08:17 PM   #1818
hppyfngy
not dead yet

Oddometer: 4,086
Quote:
Five of them to be exact. I've been known to ride KLR's, DR's, DRZ's (currently) and other peasant models too.
Harleys?

'13 KLR 650 For Sale!
'07 KLX250s
hppyfngy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 08:19 PM   #1819
mattgoff
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
Quote:
Huh. Guess since I don't have a GS I'm not worth hanging with. (But we already knew that, eh?
It's not that at all sir...just can't keep up with you on that SE.

Another spur between Wiggins and 60 to consider is colloquially know as Scat Rd. It's the two track coming off of Mt Horeb that leads up to Wiggins. This road has some varied terrain including overgrowth, mud, rocks, etc. Not terribly challenging but I'd say a decent place to get your feet wet. Since you're in the neighborhood if you want to one-up that challenge I'd go north where Wiggins comes to a 4 way (if you're coming from the Wiggins spur off of Coffeytown it's straight, left is Coffeytown, right is Alahambra). This is known as Tower rd as it leads up to the radio towers.
mattgoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 08:22 PM   #1820
vabuckaroo68
Gnarly!

Oddometer: 1,176
Quote:
Huh. Guess since I don't have a GS I'm not worth hanging with. (But we already knew that, eh? ).
Big Levels about the same as Blakey? I drove Grimmboy's truck pulling a trailer through Blakey, no way in the hell I'd try that on Big Levels.
YMMV.
And, if you're down by Alhambra (FR63), ride Irish Creek up to the BRP then a short bit of 56 east and north to find North Fk Tye River Rd. Goes down to 56, neat road.
That would have been interesting to watch. I'm not sure we're talking about the same road. Most full size trucks can't make it. Too narrow in some places and too much rut in others. Although my daughter made it through in a Subaru Forester, once.
04 KTM 950ADV ~ "BEASTIE", '13 KTM 300XCW, '76 Husky 360WR/CR,
vabuckaroo68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 05:06 AM   #1821
OldnoGPS
Just a sightseer

Oddometer: 1,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by vabuckaroo68 View Post
That would have been interesting to watch. I'm not sure we're talking about the same road. Most full size trucks can't make it. Too narrow in some places and too much rut in others. Although my daughter made it through in a Subaru Forester, once.
I've ridden Blakey many times, yes we're talking about the same road. Full size GMC extra cab pulling a 5x8 trailer. Challenging. More challenging after I loaded up an injured BMW rider and his airhead.
Matt - no problem keeping up with me, I'm old and slow. The SE has gone to Nevada where it will live after it does the Barstow-Vegas under it's new owner.
OldnoGPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 06:06 PM   #1822
hppyfngy
not dead yet

Oddometer: 4,086
My KLR is FS again.

I'm dealing...

'13 KLR 650 For Sale!
'07 KLX250s
hppyfngy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 04:31 AM   #1823
Bull Gear
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Thanks hppyfngy, you answered my original question. And thanks to everybody else for the tips. I'll try to look some of those up.
FYI I'll be camped out in the fields across from the Graves Mtn Lodge. A friend of mine is putting on his annual military vehicle rally/ride. Come check it out, spectators are free...
http://www.gravesmountaintrailrides....ation-2014.pdf
Old 08-28-2014, 11:47 AM   #1824
philthyphil
Nomad

Oddometer: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by vabuckaroo68 View Post
There are some great fire roads in Madison that are very doable on a big ADV bike.
Then there's Blakey.....

I've ridden up there most of my life. Here lately I have to decide between 950 and 450 for riding up there. There are fire roads on the Graves Mountain Lodge side and fire roads on the Wolftown/Graves Mill side. Most are pretty easy. Blakey is a bit more of a challenge. Very similar to the road between the Coal road and BRP. Only there's no sand, just water/mud holes. Busy with MX track renovations right now, but would happy to show you around up there sometime.
I'd like to be shown around up there. Just moved here last month. I found the road between Coal and the BRP (big levels?). Where is Blakey? Sounds like fun…

WTB - RED 1ST GEN KLR GAS TANK
philthyphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 03:36 PM   #1825
Happy Gilmore
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
For Sale

Ladies and Gents,

I just wanted to let you know my 18 year old daughter needs to sell her 2005 XT-225 to buy a car. I'm disappointed, but we must be practical...

If anybody is interested the craigslist ad is here.

It's a nice little dual-sport. It's the same one that Tuffstuff sold her a while back. I would say it's a little more worn that the ad suggests but still a very nice bike.

07 BMW F800ST, 05 Yamaha XT-225, 09 Yamaha XT-250
Happy Gilmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 02:04 PM   #1826
4x4runer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Any ktm backyard mechanics around here. I'm in Afton and work in cville. I have a 06 ktm 625. I'm the 3rd owner and don't know exactly when the valves were last done. I would like to tackle this myself with a little guidence. This us my first bike and have never done this yet. So far, I've changed the countersproket and seal, rear sproket, gear shifter seal, sight glass seal, and several oil changes. This I would like someone there to say good or bad. I have a set if feeler gauges but dont have a small torque wrench so that would be a plus if one was available to use. I live pretty close to blue mountain brewery so some kind of reward could be negotiated :). My house or yours, doesn't bother me. I have a 2 car garage so there would be plenty of space at my house. I beleive I have all tools except the small torque wrench. Anyways, give me a response if you Sid be willing to help a fellow inmate out. Cheers Sid
4x4runer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 05:15 PM   #1827
Jack90210
mindful

Oddometer: 15,168
Quote:
Originally Posted by philthyphil View Post
where is blakey? Sounds like fun…
+1

I must say that my son has exposed a reservoir of love and of worry within me that I never knew existed. --nskitts, 9/2/12
Jack90210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 05:39 PM   #1828
biker128pedal
Super Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack90210 View Post
+1
Don't go too fast. There are horseback riders up there.

Wee Strommin along.
Old 09-01-2014, 09:38 AM   #1829
biker128pedal
Super Lurker

I know there are some riders or SO of riders of 4 legged lawn ornaments on here and thought some may be interested in a bridle. My wife bought this bridle last year and it does not fit her new horse. (I have three motorcycles so she has to have three horses ). It was bought from TackZone last years so it cannot be returned. It lists for $153.86. She wants $100 plus shipping. I'll be at the S500 and come up the Plains for horse feed and to Madison County to visit relatives. It has never been used. It is English style. For dressage (like trials on horses ) but I was told can be used for general English riding (like dual sport). I don't know. I just compost manure, drive a tractor and build horse related structures. Plus gown grass and cut weeds.

Bobby's English Tack No. 933 Dressage Flash Bridle Black Full Size. Black with black padding. Never been used. Removed from packaging to take the pictures. PM me and we can work something out.

Turn head sideways.

There are reins in this leather somewhere.

Wee Strommin along.
Old 09-03-2014, 06:02 PM   #1830
Happy Gilmore
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Ride This Weekend?

The Shenandoah 500 is coming up fast. Just a month away now.

I'd like to get some more miles on my new to me bike and practice some skills before the big weekend. Anybody want to ride on Sunday?

Anybody?

The more dirt the better! The rain should be over by then and the high is only 80 degrees.

07 BMW F800ST, 05 Yamaha XT-225, 09 Yamaha XT-250
Happy Gilmore is offline   Reply With Quote