ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2011, 08:15 AM   #646
Jack90210
mindful

Oddometer: 15,095
BRP is near peak for leaf color (the leaf peepers are out), and all of the streams and creeks that run down its banks are flowing. Great gravel/dirt riding yesterday ... about as good as it gets.

Particularly good was Clarktown Rd (605), Coffeytown Rd (634), Jack Hill Rd (666) just north and east of the VA 60/BRP junction.

I must say that my son has exposed a reservoir of love and of worry within me that I never knew existed. --nskitts, 9/2/12
Jack90210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 08:28 AM   #647
dendrophobe
Motorbike Junky

Oddometer: 859
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack90210 View Post
BRP is near peak for leaf color (the leaf peepers are out), and all of the streams and creeks that run down its banks are flowing. Great gravel/dirt riding yesterday ... about as good as it gets.

Particularly good was Clarktown Rd (605), Coffeytown Rd (634), Jack Hill Rd (666) just north and east of the VA 60/BRP junction.
God, you're making me jealous. Post pictures! Autumn is by far my favorite season back home, largely because of those leaves on the BRP. I sit and think about motorcycles 95% of my waking hours over here, so enjoy all that riding for me!
2006 Ducati Sport 1000, Black
Custom built Ducati GT1000 Scrambler, Red
dendrophobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 10:37 AM   #648
mtnflow
LFC, more pie please

Oddometer: 2,232
Quote:

I hope you hit alhambra road while you were there, the waterfalls on that section are the best around.
mtnflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 12:16 PM   #649
Jack90210
mindful

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnflow View Post
I hope you hit alhambra road while you were there, the waterfalls on that section are the best around.
Yep, flowing pretty well too. Wish I had had a real camera with me. Pics are from other roads. I hit some singletrack at one point on my way back up to the BRP; other than that most roads were smooth gravel like you see here.

I must say that my son has exposed a reservoir of love and of worry within me that I never knew existed. --nskitts, 9/2/12
Old 10-18-2011, 12:16 PM   #650
vabuckaroo68
Gnarly!

Oddometer: 1,152
Quote:

sitting here with 15 stitches in my thumb thinking about what a nice day to ride
FYYFF
04 KTM 950ADV ~ "BEASTIE", '13 KTM 300XCW, '08 KTM 450XCR-W (selling), Husky 360WR/CR, Bultaco Frontera 250
vabuckaroo68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 12:21 PM   #651
Jack90210
mindful

Quote:
Originally Posted by vabuckaroo68 View Post
sitting here with 15 stitches in my thumb thinking about what a nice day to ride
FYYFF
Whoa. Heal up quick!

Old 10-18-2011, 03:36 PM   #652
vabuckaroo68
Gnarly!

Thanks
04 KTM 950ADV ~ "BEASTIE", '13 KTM 300XCW, '08 KTM 450XCR-W (selling), Husky 360WR/CR, Bultaco Frontera 250
Old 10-21-2011, 07:02 AM   #653
SRG
SRG

Oddometer: 1,161
Anyone want to try to get out for a ride this weekend?

SRG
Old 10-21-2011, 10:27 AM   #654
manufreak03
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Based on Jack's awesome pictures, my brother-in-law and I are heading out early Saturday morning from Earlysville. He will be riding his Husky and I'll be taking the DR-Z. PM me if want to join us.
Alert: Tough Mudder series will be held at Wintergreen this weekend: http://www.wintergreenresort.com/tough-mudder/
The website says they are expecting 15,000(!) spectators, so it's probably best to avoid Route 151. If you want, you can pay $25 to watch grown men and women play in the mud and .
Oh, there's a UVA football at 3:30 pm, but you probably already knew that already. Go Hoos!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRG View Post
Anyone want to try to get out for a ride this weekend?

SRG
manufreak03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 10:33 AM   #655
tuffstuff
Livin' Life

Oddometer: 512
Yeah - I'll be a crazy woman playing in the mud at the Tough Mudder tomorrow, hopefully not . I'm quite sure I'll be wishing I had never agreed to do this and was out riding with you all instead. It'll be a nice weekend for a fall ride!
Old 10-22-2011, 07:45 AM   #656
FATNBLD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 278
New to this

Hey there C-villians with motorcycles that want to go out and ride. I now join your ranks.

Got my KLR back in June, already put 3,500 miles on it, and most of that was by myself going to work and back. I went on a few longer rides with my tiny wife on the back.

Would love to hit some back road/off road stuff with some other people that don't mind getting a little dirty.

Also, just became aware of this whole game of tag going on in the surrounding areas. Wondering if there's a TAG game with Charlottesville as the "center." The concept sounds like fun, but I'm not looking to ride hndreds of miles for a stuffed toy under a rock. I mean, I will if I have to, but I'd much rather play with the focus around C-ville.

If there's one already going somebody please let me know, as I couldn't find it. If there isn't, somebody let me know that as well, because I might consider starting one.

Later,
FATNBLD
FATNBLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 08:23 AM   #657
hppyfngy
not dead yet

Oddometer: 4,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by FATNBLD View Post
Hey there C-villians with motorcycles that want to go out and ride. I now join your ranks.

Got my KLR back in June, already put 3,500 miles on it, and most of that was by myself going to work and back. I went on a few longer rides with my tiny wife on the back.

Would love to hit some back road/off road stuff with some other people that don't mind getting a little dirty.

Also, just became aware of this whole game of tag going on in the surrounding areas. Wondering if there's a TAG game with Charlottesville as the "center." The concept sounds like fun, but I'm not looking to ride hndreds of miles for a stuffed toy under a rock. I mean, I will if I have to, but I'd much rather play with the focus around C-ville.

If there's one already going somebody please let me know, as I couldn't find it. If there isn't, somebody let me know that as well, because I might consider starting one.

Later,
FATNBLD
Welcome Fatnbald. There is no C-ville tag game going on but by all means start one! Maybe you can drag some of us old farts out of our easy chairs.

In the meantime, check out the Valley DS Tag Game

It needs some help about now...

'13 KLR 650 For Sale!
hppyfngy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 08:26 AM   #658
Jack90210
mindful

Sorry SRG, had to work this morning and will be doing so tomorrow as well. Going to try to get in a ride this afternoon though.

Old 10-22-2011, 01:25 PM   #659
vabuckaroo68
Gnarly!

As soon as I get this thumb healed up, I'm wanting to take the 950 across Blakey Ridge. I would love to have company. It would be a nice little trip for you folks on the northern edge of Albemarle. I'm curious to see how me and the Beastie do on a rougher fire road compared to some of you fellas (and ladies) on thumpers.
Old 10-22-2011, 02:40 PM   #660
dendrophobe
Motorbike Junky

Oddometer: 859
Quote:
Originally Posted by hppyfngy View Post

In the meantime, check out the Valley DS Tag Game

It needs some help about now...
X2, please save that game... I want some tag to come home to!!

Of course, I won't be upset if I don't have to ride over the mountain anymore to play, either... I've thought about starting one in Cville many times, but seeing as the Valley one is lagging a bit, I wasn't sure how much participation there would be.

Good luck!
2006 Ducati Sport 1000, Black
Custom built Ducati GT1000 Scrambler, Red
dendrophobe is offline   Reply With Quote