ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2012, 07:01 PM   #751
vabuckaroo68
Gnarly!

Oddometer: 1,116
Weekend Rides

I hope everyone had good rides today. That road in southern Albe. where the tag was today was a cool road. Miles of gravel and turns. We took it all the way through. It came out by Covesville Industries Lumber. We should all get together for a day long ride and some dinner.
04 KTM 950 ADV ~ "BEASTIE", '08 KTM 450 XCR-W, Husky 360 WR/CR, Bultaco Frontera 250
vabuckaroo68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 07:37 AM   #752
SRG
SRG

Oddometer: 1,077
Jack said:

"I was able to get out for a few hours this afternoon. Headed up towards Simmons Gap Rd/Wyatt Mtn. Rd and returned home via Davis Shop Rd/Wesley Chapel Rd/Fox Mtn. Rd/Sugar Hollow/Garth.

Hey SRG, want to do a Coal Rd ride next time we have a warm weekend?"

We can/should do that - but the next warm weekend might be sometime in April.

Ted - good job on getting another bike, be (a little) careful and have fun.
Old 01-08-2012, 09:23 AM   #753
OldnoGPS
Just a sightseer

Oddometer: 1,233
SRG - thanks! WRR is a hoot, kind of like a fuel injected DRZ with 6 speeds. Just did the C'ville tag early this am, back over Fox Mountain, home to post tag pix then back out to do the Flattop loop. Yeehaa.
I'll probably slack off on the 20k mile years and ride more gravel locally, just a couple of days a week. Hope you're well, see ya'.
OldnoGPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 09:28 AM   #754
hppyfngy
not dead yet

Oddometer: 4,041
Rats! I want one...

Ted, if you retire again can I have it?

'13 KLR650 ~ For Sale!

hppyfngy screwed with this post 01-08-2012 at 09:40 AM
hppyfngy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 09:47 AM   #755
OldnoGPS
Just a sightseer

Sure! Worked last time (glad you're still enjoying the Strom).
Old 01-08-2012, 10:08 AM   #756
hppyfngy
not dead yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldnoGPS View Post
Sure! Worked last time (glad you're still enjoying the Strom).
Love the Strom. It's working out this DRZ vs KLX thing that has be stumped.

Have thought for a while that WRR was probably the thing for me...

And now I have dibs!

I like that side case Ted, who makes that?

'13 KLR650 ~ For Sale!
Old 01-08-2012, 10:47 AM   #757
Jack90210
mindful

Oddometer: 14,994
Quote:
SRG - thanks! WRR is a hoot, kind of like a fuel injected DRZ with 6 speeds. Just did the C'ville tag early this am, back over Fox Mountain, home to post tag pix then back out to do the Flattop loop. Yeehaa.
I'll probably slack off on the 20k mile years and ride more gravel locally, just a couple of days a week. Hope you're well, see ya'.

I though I heard that you had sold all of your bikes?

I can't keep up. Glad to hear that you are out riding! Would love to catch up with you sometime.

I must say that my son has exposed a reservoir of love and of worry within me that I never knew existed. --nskitts, 9/2/12
Jack90210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 11:15 AM   #758
OldnoGPS
Just a sightseer

Randy,
That's a Yamaha side case, has a little rack from the left pass. peg up to the rear rack. Two straps up top and a big velcro strap on the inside bottom around the rack. I've shaken it pretty hard on Brokenback Mtn, etc. (has gazetter, gloves, water bottle - fairly light) and it's pretty stable. "Not for Offroad" though.
It's a nice size for my needs, came on the bike.
John - it's true. I gave it up for over a year but decided that I missed riding too much. I was interested in these WRR's when they came out, found this one (2010) with 389 miles on it and grabbed it. Hope to see you sometime as well.
Old 01-08-2012, 01:23 PM   #759
Jack90210
mindful

Oddometer: 14,994
Quote:
John - it's true. I gave it up for over a year but decided that I missed riding too much. I was interested in these WRR's when they came out, found this one (2010) with 389 miles on it and grabbed it. Hope to see you sometime as well.
Ted, I've been trying to occasionally get out for a ride during the week. I'll drop you a line soon.

I must say that my son has exposed a reservoir of love and of worry within me that I never knew existed. --nskitts, 9/2/12
Jack90210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 05:36 PM   #760
tuffstuff
Livin' Life

Oddometer: 478
Quote:

I have been trying to figure out all the good rides in our area and Flattop is on my list to check out! Is it good?

On the map it shows a 4wd road on the ridge line parallel to 20 and 231. We tried every road we could find to get up there and everything looks private. Does anyone know how to get there?
tuffstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 06:05 PM   #761
hppyfngy
not dead yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffstuff View Post
I have been trying to figure out all the good rides in our area and Flattop is on my list to check out! Is it good?

On the map it shows a 4wd road on the ridge line parallel to 20 and 231. We tried every road we could find to get up there and everything looks private. Does anyone know how to get there?

TS, I'm not quite sure what you're looking for but the Flattop I know about is up towards Simmons Gap off of Shifflett Rd, aka 676 IIRC.

Someone else like Oldno may chime in with better intel...

hfg

'13 KLR650 ~ For Sale!
Old 01-08-2012, 07:06 PM   #762
tuffstuff
Livin' Life

sorry - i was talking about two separate things. i know where flattop is and am looking forward to checking it out. the 2nd question i had is not even close to flattop.

hopefully someone has been in the area east of route 20. i really think there has to be a lot of places to ride over there... i just haven't figured out how to get on those roads.
Old 01-09-2012, 03:09 AM   #763
vabuckaroo68
Gnarly!

Oddometer: 1,116
TS - East of route 20 as in Orange county?
04 KTM 950 ADV ~ "BEASTIE", '08 KTM 450 XCR-W, Husky 360 WR/CR, Bultaco Frontera 250
vabuckaroo68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 05:01 AM   #764
OldnoGPS
Just a sightseer

tuffstuff - Flattop is great fun with different challenges. The "easier" ride is up Simmons Gap from 810 to a right staying on Simmons Gap and up to Shiffletts on the right. That section takes you up past the entrance to Flattop Mtn (private subdivision) and over eventually all the way down to Bacon Hollow in Greene. Just about 1/4 mile below the Flattop entrance there's an intx with Wyatt to the right. That's very tight and narrow (I've seen grass 18" tall in the center of it in summer but,yes, it's a state road) and connects over to Brokenback. Brokenback also goes from Simmons at the small Mennonite church over to Bacon Hollow but most find it a bit rougher and more challenging. They're all State roads but depending on weather (steep/big washouts occasionally) they can give you a workout. If you ride Brokenback from Simmons to Bacon Hollow, be careful at the Bacon Hollow intx. It's a fairly steep braking zone with lots of loose sediment that gets washed down - always there and always a risk of sliding out into Bacon Hollow rd. Maybe I should just slow down...
AFAIK most anything between 20/231 is private back near the mountains. Only 600 and 640 go over. The big paved gov't road on 640 is a NORAD Air defense station buried in the mountain - no it doesn't say that anywhere, don't go up there.
Old 01-09-2012, 06:17 AM   #765
tuffstuff
Livin' Life

Thanks! That's too bad that it's all private East of 20 (south of 33 in Albemarle is what I was referring to Vabuckaroo). It seems that there would be a lot of good riding in that range if it was open ... oh well.

Thanks for the description of the flattop area. We are finally starting to get the lay of the land in the area... so much to ride I love it! Hopefully we'll have more rideable weather in the next few weeks to get up flattop. Now I really want to check that whole area out. I am always up for a challenge and I ride slow anyway :)