ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2012, 08:18 AM   #766
Bowtie76
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldnoGPS View Post
tuffstuff - Flattop is great fun with different challenges. The "easier" ride is up Simmons Gap from 810 to a right staying on Simmons Gap and up to Shiffletts on the right. That section takes you up past the entrance to Flattop Mtn (private subdivision) and over eventually all the way down to Bacon Hollow in Greene. Just about 1/4 mile below the Flattop entrance there's an intx with Wyatt to the right. That's very tight and narrow (I've seen grass 18" tall in the center of it in summer but,yes, it's a state road) and connects over to Brokenback. Brokenback also goes from Simmons at the small Mennonite church over to Bacon Hollow but most find it a bit rougher and more challenging. They're all State roads but depending on weather (steep/big washouts occasionally) they can give you a workout. If you ride Brokenback from Simmons to Bacon Hollow, be careful at the Bacon Hollow intx. It's a fairly steep braking zone with lots of loose sediment that gets washed down - always there and always a risk of sliding out into Bacon Hollow rd. Maybe I should just slow down...
AFAIK most anything between 20/231 is private back near the mountains. Only 600 and 640 go over. The big paved gov't road on 640 is a NORAD Air defense station buried in the mountain - no it doesn't say that anywhere, don't go up there.

Did that ride over brokeback on my old connie, definatly had a few pucker moments with that big beast getting loose. Need to head back with the DR and have some fun.
Bowtie76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 09:37 AM   #767
OldnoGPS
Just a sightseer

Oddometer: 1,239
I rode my old Connie over the Flattop side once - yeah, it was a handful. Rode my K75RT over it once too. I'm a slow learner.
Ask Jack90210 about the time we rode it in the snow (I was on my first weeStrom with deathwings), dug Steverino's xm radio out of a drift after he had a little off, etc.
OldnoGPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 12:59 PM   #768
Jack90210
mindful

Oddometer: 14,994
Quote:
I rode my old Connie over the Flattop side once - yeah, it was a handful. Rode my K75RT over it once too. I'm a slow learner.
Ask Jack90210 about the time we rode it in the snow (I was on my first weeStrom with deathwings), dug Steverino's xm radio out of a drift after he had a little off, etc.
2005. (Is that the time we got "held up" in Bacon Hollow?) That was the second time, I think, that I had ever been on gravel. After that ride I was hooked! Look, there's Poonie in the pic below ...

Not sure if Steverino is subscribed to this thread or not ...

I must say that my son has exposed a reservoir of love and of worry within me that I never knew existed. --nskitts, 9/2/12
Jack90210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 06:38 PM   #769
OldnoGPS
Just a sightseer

Hah! Great that you still have those pix! Good pic of Poonie - Anton, SST and Grimmboy are in there too.
Yeah, that was the day we were "held up". Jack90210 and I were trapped in a dead-end by a couple of drunk rednecks claiming that we had run over their dog the week before. Not true - however I damn near DID run over it on the way out. As I recall it all happened because we were following Steverino's GPS up dead ends because it showed that we could get through.
That was quite a ride.
Old 01-09-2012, 06:56 PM   #770
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,558
Quote:
Jack90210 and I were trapped in a dead-end by a couple of drunk rednecks claiming that we had run over their dog the week before.
Silly rednecks. Don't they know they are supposed to put signs up warning people like these guys did?

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 04:46 AM   #771
grimmboy
Chris Grimm

Oddometer: 867
One word....tear......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack90210 View Post
2005. (Is that the time we got "held up" in Bacon Hollow?) That was the second time, I think, that I had ever been on gravel. After that ride I was hooked! Look, there's Poonie in the pic below ...

Not sure if Steverino is subscribed to this thread or not ...

grimmboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 03:02 PM   #772
hppyfngy
not dead yet

Oddometer: 4,046
Hey, I'm officially selling the KLX if anyone is interested. (sig line linky)

The word is given.

'13 KLR650 ~ For Sale!
hppyfngy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 03:24 PM   #773
vabuckaroo68
Gnarly!

Oddometer: 1,116
Mapping Question

Does anyone here in central VA have a maping source that shows which roads are gravel? Not finding it on any of my Garmin software or google earth. I think the old paper county maps used to, but I'm not sure if VDOT still sells those.
04 KTM 950 ADV ~ "BEASTIE", '08 KTM 450 XCR-W, Husky 360 WR/CR, Bultaco Frontera 250
vabuckaroo68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 03:51 PM   #774
tuffstuff
Livin' Life

Oddometer: 478
Quote:
Originally Posted by vabuckaroo68 View Post
Does anyone here in central VA have a maping source that shows which roads are gravel? Not finding it on any of my Garmin software or google earth. I think the old paper county maps used to, but I'm not sure if VDOT still sells those.
i've been trying to find the same thing! so far just keeping track of what i learn from you all and what we find out riding but finding an official map would be so much better!
tuffstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 03:53 PM   #775
tuffstuff
Livin' Life

Oddometer: 478
Quote:
Originally Posted by hppyfngy View Post

The word is given.
ah and it's such a nice bike!!! i will tell friends about it.
tuffstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 04:13 PM   #776
hppyfngy
not dead yet

Oddometer: 4,046
Quote:
Pretty sure VDOT still gives those away for free. Downstairs at the County offices in Albemarle, and at the visitor's center in Nelson.

I'll be near the Alb Co Offices tomorrow and I'll check. But I'm pretty sure you can order them directly from VDOT.

You can order them county by county directly from VDOT

http://www.virginiadot.org/travel/maps-default.asp

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffstuff View Post
ah and it's such a nice bike!!! i will tell friends about it.
Thanks, I'll miss it. It's a sweet one...

'13 KLR650 ~ For Sale!
hppyfngy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 04:17 PM   #777
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffstuff View Post
i've been trying to find the same thing! so far just keeping track of what i learn from you all and what we find out riding but finding an official map would be so much better!
Ask and you shall receive!

Quote:
County maps
County maps (2004 edition) are 50 cents each. Bound copies of all county maps are $35 plus five percent state sales tax. A complete set of individual county maps is $35 plus five percent state sales tax.
Found here....

Unfortunately you can't view them online. The bound copies are nice(I've seen one years ago) for home use and at 50 cents a copy for the paper ones...that's a bargan! I used to have a bunch of those old county maps.

Here is their City map of Charlottesville...

EDIT: Just an FYI, there are 95 counties in Va.

Old 01-10-2012, 04:21 PM   #778
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

The word is given.

PM Skippii

Old 01-10-2012, 06:36 PM   #779
OldnoGPS
Just a sightseer

I still have a number of those VDOT maps of the counties near here. They used to sell them in the library of the Highway Research Council on Observatory Hill but it's been quite a while since I bought any there. They were never great about updating them and VDOT's misdirected "Pave in Place" program has thrown asphalt down on perfectly good gravel at a fairly quick pace in some spots. Be aware that quite a few shown as dirt aren't any longer.
They're still a good resource, about the only good clue about what might be gravel that I know of and have mileages on every section.
Old 01-10-2012, 06:57 PM   #780
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Pretty sure VDOT still gives those away for free. Downstairs at the County offices in Albemarle, and at the visitor's center in Nelson.

I'll be near the Alb Co Offices tomorrow and I'll check. But I'm pretty sure you can order them directly from VDOT.

You can order them county by county directly from VDOT

Thanks, I'll miss it. It's a sweet one...
Beat me to the punch!