ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2012, 04:03 PM   #796
OldnoGPS
Just a sightseer

Oddometer: 1,237
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
+1. I know of some goods spots to ride over there but I'm always up to finding or being shown new ones.
But...we're always coming over the mountain to look for good spots in the Valley! Seriously, as you guys know, we have some pretty special places. Generally, West of 29 is more interesting to me and there's more entertaining gravel closer to the mountains. If you want to see how fast you can go standing on the pegs before the wind blows you off, there are some great, flat and straight gravel roads east of Rt. 15, South of Gordonsville that connect. South of C'ville there are more good roads East of 29 as well as on the West side, so your options get better. If you're just getting to know the area, you may still want to stay West of Rt.20 down to Scottsville. It's hard to find a bad area anywhere in Nelson, Amherst is better West of 29 IMHO. YMMV.
OldnoGPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 04:12 PM   #797
Jack90210
mindful

Oddometer: 14,994
Quote:
Originally Posted by hppyfngy View Post
Uh oh... Hide your kids, hide your wife, and hide your husband...

I must say that my son has exposed a reservoir of love and of worry within me that I never knew existed. --nskitts, 9/2/12
Jack90210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 04:41 PM   #798
hppyfngy
not dead yet

Oddometer: 4,046
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack90210 View Post
BTW John, rest easy. KLX sold today. SOB offered me my asking price...

Bastardo!

'13 KLR650 ~ For Sale!
hppyfngy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 05:16 PM   #799
vabuckaroo68
Gnarly!

Oddometer: 1,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldnoGPS View Post
But...we're always coming over the mountain to look for good spots in the Valley! Seriously, as you guys know, we have some pretty special places. Generally, West of 29 is more interesting to me and there's more entertaining gravel closer to the mountains. If you want to see how fast you can go standing on the pegs before the wind blows you off, there are some great, flat and straight gravel roads east of Rt. 15, South of Gordonsville that connect. South of C'ville there are more good roads East of 29 as well as on the West side, so your options get better. If you're just getting to know the area, you may still want to stay West of Rt.20 down to Scottsville. It's hard to find a bad area anywhere in Nelson, Amherst is better West of 29 IMHO. YMMV.
We lost some good trails after the big flood in Madison. Devils Ditch and Fish-for-Fun were 2 of my favorites.
04 KTM 950 ADV ~ "BEASTIE", '08 KTM 450 XCR-W, Husky 360 WR/CR, Bultaco Frontera 250
vabuckaroo68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 08:24 PM   #800
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,556
Quote:
Originally Posted by vabuckaroo68 View Post
We lost some good trails after the big flood in Madison. Devils Ditch and Fish-for-Fun were 2 of my favorites.
I know of Devils Ditch. I took my 4x4 van up through there back in the early 90's. Actually I think I wound up in part of the park before I turned around. I was headed upstream and took the left after the ford across the Conway and before Devils ditch. I finally got back on track and went on up through Devils Ditch. That was FUN!

I'm not familiar with Fish-for -fun.

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 08:32 PM   #801
vabuckaroo68
Gnarly!

Oddometer: 1,116
Fish-for-Fun was between Graves Mill and Blakey Ridge. Hang a right at the PO at Graves Mill (the C'ville Tag was there once) Take that road until it ends at a culdesac. (it used to go all the way thru) You would wind-up down below the Saddle at the end of the Blakey Ridge fire road. Go right and you go to the Saddle. Go straight and go to Rapidan Camp. There's still some good trails up there to ride. I need to find something smaller than the 950 for some of those though. They're pretty gnarly.
Devils Ditch is in the park. There was waterfall up there near an old cabin.
04 KTM 950 ADV ~ "BEASTIE", '08 KTM 450 XCR-W, Husky 360 WR/CR, Bultaco Frontera 250
vabuckaroo68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 03:06 AM   #802
Shmandy
Fat guy riding!

Oddometer: 50
Man it sounds like you folks do some great rides! Kinda wished I had something a little smaller and more nimble in the stable then just my DL1000. Don't think it is made for most of these rides I've seen described! But I will still tune in and hopefully run a few more rides and meet some of other folks! All this talk makes me pumped for slightly warmer weather!

Ps fatnbald, checked out the cville tag, looks like fun, will prob try to drop in on that. Thanks for the heads up about it.

See you all out there

-Give a man a match, and he’ll be warm for a minute, but set him on fire, and he’ll be warm for the rest of his life
Shmandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 07:35 AM   #803
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,556
Quote:
Originally Posted by vabuckaroo68 View Post
Fish-for-Fun was between Graves Mill and Blakey Ridge. Hang a right at the PO at Graves Mill (the C'ville Tag was there once) Take that road until it ends at a culdesac. (it used to go all the way thru) You would wind-up down below the Saddle at the end of the Blakey Ridge fire road. Go right and you go to the Saddle. Go straight and go to Rapidan Camp. There's still some good trails up there to ride. I need to find something smaller than the 950 for some of those though. They're pretty gnarly.
Devils Ditch is in the park. There was waterfall up there near an old cabin.
Ah, OK, I know that road. I did that in the van the same day I went up along the Conway. All this was before I got into motorcycles. At the time I was looking for some "interesting" whitewater to paddle.

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 07:20 AM   #804
dendrophobe
Motorbike Junky

Oddometer: 857
I found a Ducati Sport 1000 in Louisiana that I really want to buy. At least, I think I do. Since I'm in Afghanistan until April, I'm going to try to have an inmate down there look it over for me...

But if I end up getting it... Would anybody be willing to have me fly them down there and then ride it back for me? It's a fair bit to ask I know, but you get a free plane ride and trip on a Ducati!

PM me if anybody's willing... Thanks!
2006 Ducati Sport 1000, Black
Custom built Ducati GT1000 Scrambler, Red
dendrophobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 09:10 AM   #805
littlelionmonster
Rerutnevda ylranG

Oddometer: 763
How could anyone pass this up. I might be able to help you out of no one else can?

Buy my Jetta TDI
Buy my jacket
littlelionmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 12:01 PM   #806
Jack90210
mindful

Quote:
Originally Posted by dendrophobe View Post
I found a Ducati Sport 1000 in Louisiana that I really want to buy. At least, I think I do. Since I'm in Afghanistan until April, I'm going to try to have an inmate down there look it over for me...

But if I end up getting it... Would anybody be willing to have me fly them down there and then ride it back for me? It's a fair bit to ask I know, but you get a free plane ride and trip on a Ducati!

Ah man ... in my single days, I would have done that in a heartbeat.

Hope you find someone to help out!

I must say that my son has exposed a reservoir of love and of worry within me that I never knew existed. --nskitts, 9/2/12
Old 01-22-2012, 01:14 PM   #807
biker128pedal
Super Lurker

Oddometer: 2,693
Quote:
Originally Posted by dendrophobe View Post

Surveyor in Hampton Roads has a Sport 1000. He may be willing.

Wee Strommin along.
biker128pedal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 08:26 AM   #808
bloochdog
Itinerant jackass

Oddometer: 5,698
Off to C'ville for Mellow Mushroom pizza!

Any recommendations for picture framing in Charlottesville?
Old 01-24-2012, 09:04 AM   #809
tuffstuff
Livin' Life

Oddometer: 478
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloochdog View Post

I love Mellow Mushroom pizza!!! I always forget about that place too! I have had a couple things framed at Michael's in Barrack's Road and they usually have deals of some type going on. They do a good job.
tuffstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 09:58 AM   #810
Jack90210
mindful

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloochdog View Post

Freeman Victorious is right up the street at 1413 University Avenue, they are on the pricey side but they do nice work.