ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2013, 10:07 AM   #1291
bloochdog
Itinerant jackass

Oddometer: 5,739
You guys know about the RTE on sun and the ride on CH with dinner sat?
Old 01-10-2013, 10:27 AM   #1292
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRG View Post
Anyone have/know of a decent, inexpensive ($5k or so) "basic transportation" kind of car for sale?
Does your area require emissions inspections? If not, what about this truck? Semi local. Inmate owned.

BTW, I have not seen the truck before but Beard is a good guy. Seems like a good price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloochdog View Post
They do now!

Saturdays RTE

5:30-6:00PM

Sundays RTE

High noon!

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:28 AM   #1293
SRG
SRG

Oddometer: 1,171
Anyone know someone who does powdercoating in C'ville?

I'm thinking of having the clutch and ignition covers of the Berg done (gloss black). Any reason to think this is a bad idea? Will it last? Any idea on cost?

I hope you all are riding this weekend. I'm housebound recovering from minor surgery. 70* in Jan.? Who'd of thunk?
Old 01-10-2013, 07:12 PM   #1294
Banshee
hi

Oddometer: 6,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRG View Post
Anyone know someone who does powdercoating in C'ville?

I'm thinking of having the clutch and ignition covers of the Berg done (gloss black). Any reason to think this is a bad idea? Will it last? Any idea on cost?

I hope you all are riding this weekend. I'm housebound recovering from minor surgery. 70* in Jan.? Who'd of thunk?
why yes! is Ruckersville close enough?

http://www.edwebster.com/intro.htm

Ed Webster, heck of a guy. Did a helmet for bloochdog and does the Cat Herder and BWDR stickers. Haven't had the cause to use him for moto painting but I sure would.

*amendment - bloochdog just informed me that he doesn't think Ed does powder coating. oops, I'm just a dumb broad, wtf do I know about paint

Banshee screwed with this post 01-10-2013 at 07:29 PM
Banshee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:18 PM   #1295
vabuckaroo68
Gnarly!

Oddometer: 1,157
I've had the LineX guys in R'ville do some stuff for my 950 and really like the results. Amazing stuff. I may have some stuff on the EXC coated at some point.
Heading to Budds Creek this weekend.
1st time time on a MX track since '85
04 KTM 950ADV ~ "BEASTIE", '13 KTM 300XCW, '08 KTM 450XCR-W (selling), Husky 360WR/CR, Bultaco Frontera 250
vabuckaroo68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 06:23 AM   #1296
manufreak03
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Just checked in and will ride with the Sheetz group if I am up to their high standards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloochdog View Post
manufreak03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:33 AM   #1297
XC Rider
Motorcycle Vagabond

Oddometer: 2,859
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack90210 View Post
I don't know about untagged bikes riding on it, but I really want to check out this Blakey Ridge Fire Road.
I've ridden Blakey many times, and used to hunt that area quite a bit. Have seen four wheelers through there as recent as 3 yrs ago, but since I don't live in that area any more that's as recent as it gets. However, aside from hunting season, I've almost never come across any kind of traffic on Blakey Ridge between Quaker rd & Ruth rd.
SpotWalla: WHERE IS XC RIDER!?
XC Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 02:07 PM   #1298
FATNBLD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 281
I was there today and as I was stopped to take pictures of a duck a group of about 10 4-wheelers, dirt bikes, and a 3-wheeler came flying through.

So there ya go.

"You've got to put your shoulder up against the stone, it don't matter if you ever get it rolling." Band of Heathens - Shine a Light.
FATNBLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:04 PM   #1299
vabuckaroo68
Gnarly!

Laugh Gate on THE Rapidan road

Just heard the news on 29 News web site.....Madison Board of Sups are planning to open the gate on the Rapidan Road above Criglersville. This is the one with gate past the cabins at Rapidan Camp.
Now if we could just get them to reopen the road that ran through Fish-For-Fun that went from the Rapidan Road over to Graves Mill. AKA the Graves Mill Trail.
04 KTM 950ADV ~ "BEASTIE", '13 KTM 300XCW, '08 KTM 450XCR-W (selling), Husky 360WR/CR, Bultaco Frontera 250
Old 01-15-2013, 04:54 PM   #1300
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FATNBLD View Post
I was there today and as I was stopped to take pictures of a duck a group of about 10 4-wheelers, dirt bikes, and a 3-wheeler came flying through.

So there ya go.
I made the mistake of parking my truck, well out of the way up against the woods, at the intersection at the saddle years ago. Came back and those MFer's had run thru the big mud hole WFO, and covered my truck with mud from head to toe. If they had come by while I was leaving I might have run over the SOB's

Quote:
Originally Posted by vabuckaroo68 View Post
Just heard the news on 29 News web site.....Madison Board of Sups are planning to open the gate on the Rapidan Road above Criglersville. This is the one with gate past the cabins at Rapidan Camp.
Now if we could just get them to reopen the road that ran through Fish-For-Fun that went from the Rapidan Road over to Graves Mill. AKA the Graves Mill Trail.
Just looked it up.
I would imagine the Park is somehow going to collect the entrance fee. You shouldn't need the WMA pass to go up into the park, so that's a plus.
To me it has it's positives and negatives. On one hand it will be nice to access the drive from a different vantage point. On the other, it will draw many folks who would normally never go there. Once this road is "discovered" it will be crowded!
I walked up the road past the gate many years ago. It was in better shape than the rest of the road back to the State maintained part near Criglersville.

As for the part they closed down after the landslides down to Graves Mill, have you seen the lower portion near the Stanton River? The old road bed was eroded some twenty vertical feet! The only other part that got disturbed is just South of the ford where a football field sized piece of the forest, trees, dirt and all, slumped into the Rapidan and was washed downstream. HUGE tree jam!!!
I've got some pics from a hike me and a buddy took after the event. I'll have to find and scan them. One of the normally dry rivulets had all the trees and dirt washed away for 25-30 feet above the bottom of the ravine! It would have been scary, if not deadly, to have been up there as all that was happening!

Old 01-15-2013, 05:56 PM   #1301
vabuckaroo68
Gnarly!

Haven't been down the Graves Mill Trail since the flood. Although, I would love to sneak through there on the 300EXC.

The road through Devils Ditch was fun back in the day, too. The end from Graves Mill is about a 30' drop straight down (that puts you in the park. The other end over by Fletcher/Kinderhook has a gate that stays locked. There was a loop we used to ride that went from Fletcher/Kinderhook through part of the RWMA over to the Graves Mill rd. That has a yellow pole on either end now.
Damn Pole-Nazis!
Old 01-16-2013, 06:00 AM   #1302
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vabuckaroo68 View Post
Haven't been down the Graves Mill Trail since the flood. Although, I would love to sneak through there on the 300EXC.

The road through Devils Ditch was fun back in the day, too. The end from Graves Mill is about a 30' drop straight down (that puts you in the park. The other end over by Fletcher/Kinderhook has a gate that stays locked. There was a loop we used to ride that went from Fletcher/Kinderhook through part of the RWMA over to the Graves Mill rd. That has a yellow pole on either end now.
Damn Pole-Nazis!
I'll have to find, scan and post some of those pics I have.
Yes the road from Devils ditch was fu...interesting. The only time I did it, heading upstream, was in a 79 chevy 1 ton 4x4 van. The last creek crossing at 38.426679, -78.433607 was a steep drop into the creek! I thought I was going to fall thru the windshield.
Then not too far later there was an intersection at 38.42906, -78.43419
Of course I took the left instead of the right, and wound up going up the mountain side. I turned around at 38.43068, -78.43855, which is a tight switchback. That was interesting.
Got back on track then I came up to Devils ditch. It has some steep drops into and out of the creek. Going down I damn near had to put my feet on the windshield and going up it felt like I was in a space ship looking straight up.
Turned the corner at the top of the creek back and there was an oak tree across the road at windshield height. I wound up using a hack saw and a whitewater safety strap tied to the brush guard to move it. It was a little tricky getting across the Conway river back up to rt. 615.
Google maps shows Middle River Rd. going all the way up to 615.
I wish they would open that back up...

bwalsh screwed with this post 01-17-2013 at 07:33 AM Reason: cleanup on isle 6
Old 01-17-2013, 07:14 AM   #1303
GO_OUTSIDE!
dirty hippie

Oddometer: 275
That sounds like a great adventure!
Old 01-17-2013, 03:05 PM   #1304
cameron110
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 440
With this cold wet weather and the Dakar getting ready to come to a close for 2013 I thought it would be fun get some folks together to check out the history of the race.

The Black Market Moto Saloon has agreed to screen a documentary on the 6th running of the Paris Dakar Rally next Wednesday (Jan 23) starting at 8pm.

Come on out enjoy some good food, beer and a very entertaining look back at the history of this amazing race.

This was also the first year that Porsche raced (and won) with modified 911s. The car that would later become the groundbreaking 959.

The film was produced in the 80s so don't get your hopes up for something remastered in HD but it is an entertaining hour and a half of some classic race footage with 80s British narration. What better backdrop for good food, friends and beer.
cameron110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:35 PM   #1305
SRG
SRG

Oddometer: 1,171
In.

Thanks Cameron.