ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2013, 10:13 PM   #1366
tuffstuff
Livin' Life

Oddometer: 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by FATNBLD View Post
Works for me, however I've seen you ride, you can probably leave me in the dust.
Ha! I'm no speedy but if this works out it'll be fun.
Old 01-31-2013, 03:46 AM   #1367
vabuckaroo68
Gnarly!

Oddometer: 1,133
I know next Sat I have a couple of horse appointments. Sunday could work though.
04 KTM 950 ADV ~ "BEASTIE", '08 KTM 450 XCR-W, Husky 360 WR/CR, Bultaco Frontera 250
vabuckaroo68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:52 PM   #1368
cameron110
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 421
Before you all get too rowdy to remember thanks to some silly game tomorrow I wanted to drop a reminder about movie night at Black Market Moto Saloon on Wednesday.

Here is this months theme:

Spread the word, lets get lots folks out.
cameron110 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:58 PM   #1369
FATNBLD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 278
First Bike Pic

Hey, saw the pics of first bikes, so I went on a search for a picture of mine, finally found it on my Dad's Google Plus page.

Honda 50Z, mini bike.
Three speed clutchless
I had a head on collison with kid on a Honda 80 and broke a finger
My friend broke his arm pretty bad....and my parents sold it.
Sure had a lot of fun riding around the (then) private roads of the subdivision in which I now live (Greene Acres). Miles of gravel roads, friends with bikes, it was all we did all weekend long.

"You've got to put your shoulder up against the stone, it don't matter if you ever get it rolling." Band of Heathens - Shine a Light.
FATNBLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:04 AM   #1370
hppyfngy
not dead yet

Oddometer: 4,055
Great shot f&b. Quest for air.

Every kid's first thought with a bike. "Must build a ramp.."

'13 KLR 650 For Sale!
hppyfngy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 06:10 AM   #1371
OldnoGPS
Just a sightseer

Oddometer: 1,258
That's a great shot FB! As hppyfngy said, had to have a ramp, bump or something to fly over. My hardtail Rupp was a kidney killer, the Yamaha with it's 2" of undamped suspension was a huge improvement.
I could ride across the road from my parent's driveway into a trail network that took me almost to the Keswick Hunt Club. From there, I would push the bike a couple of hundred yards to the Keswick club entrance and ride all over there (times have changed). We had trails in the back near Blackcat Rd., before 64 was built we could ride all the way to 250. Club access went all the way to Blackcat then (not where the rear entrance is now). When they were building 64, they closed our road (731) to build the bridge over 64. We could ride up to the bridge construction, down the ditch, up the embankment and onto 64 on dirt or later on gravel. We would ride into Pantops to a friend's farm at the end of the frontage road that now goes past the entrance to Ashcroft (no Ashcroft then). The bridges over 22/231 and farm entrances were built several feet above grade and had ramps up and over on one side. You could jump WAY up onto the bridges if you hit those ramps fast enough .
OldnoGPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 07:03 AM   #1372
hppyfngy
not dead yet

Oddometer: 4,055
Ahh, those were the days alright. Where I grew up we had a series of trails that went for mile and miles. Through the woods, down a dirt road, across a farmers field, back in the woods and so on and so on.

Made me pretty sad teaching kids to ride here recently in a half acre field. But they didn't know any better. They just built a ramp.

'13 KLR 650 For Sale!
hppyfngy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 07:07 AM   #1373
vabuckaroo68
Gnarly!

Headlight Switch

Do any of you C'ville folks happen to have an Enduro headlight switch laying around? I'm trying to put lights back on my EXC. The multi-function (950/LC4) switch isn't working. It checks out OK with the multi-tester, but I can't get it wired up correctly. I'm thinking a simpler switch might be easier to get working.
04 KTM 950 ADV ~ "BEASTIE", '08 KTM 450 XCR-W, Husky 360 WR/CR, Bultaco Frontera 250
Old 02-03-2013, 08:17 AM   #1374
FATNBLD
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hppyfngy View Post
Ahh, those were the days alright.
You guys might also remember the tract of land in front of Forrest Lakes where there is now a Food Lion, McDonalds, Timberwood Grill, etc. That used to be dirt bike heaven. Trails, jumps, banked turns, bowls. We took our bikes, and a friend's 3-wheelers there several times and spent the whole day there. Too fun! There were also power line trails back behind before they built yuppie ville.

"You've got to put your shoulder up against the stone, it don't matter if you ever get it rolling." Band of Heathens - Shine a Light.
Old 02-03-2013, 08:17 AM   #1375
SRG
SRG

Oddometer: 1,142
I don't have a headlight specific handlebar switch. I do have some generic switches - on/off (2 spade connectors) and off/low/hi (3 spade connectors). I also have a couple of mounting plates for the switches.
Old 02-03-2013, 08:20 AM   #1376
FATNBLD
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vabuckaroo68 View Post
I know next Sat I have a couple of horse appointments. Sunday could work though.
Turns out this coming Saturday is not going to work for me either, I'll probably be playing Disc Golf out at Walnut Creek. It could all depend on the weather. Sunday is out for me, I work most Sundays. I'll keep watch to see what y'all are doing and may decide to ride instead of play disc golf if you guys go out on Saturday, but don't count on me this time.

Old 02-03-2013, 09:26 AM   #1377
OldnoGPS
Just a sightseer

Oddometer: 1,258
Quote:
You guys might also remember the tract of land in front of Forrest Lakes where there is now a Food Lion, McDonalds, Timberwood Grill, etc. That used to be dirt bike heaven. Trails, jumps, banked turns, bowls. We took our bikes, and a friend's 3-wheelers there several times and spent the whole day there. Too fun! There were also power line trails back behind before they built yuppie ville.
Yeah, I remember. I designed the "lakes" at Forest Lakes, did several Site Plans on the parcel you're talking about (carwash, bank), the townhouses behind Food Lion, etc. etc. I've moved millions of cubic yards of dirt with a pencil.
Before those days, I used to take walks during lunch on the farm where Seminole Square is now. There was still a drive-in theater where the Hydraulic Rd. Kroger sits
OldnoGPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:28 AM   #1378
tuffstuff
Livin' Life

Oddometer: 504
Quote:
Hey, saw the pics of first bikes, so I went on a search for a picture of mine, finally found it on my Dad's Google Plus page.

Honda 50Z, mini bike.
Three speed clutchless
I had a head on collison with kid on a Honda 80 and broke a finger
My friend broke his arm pretty bad....and my parents sold it.
Sure had a lot of fun riding around the (then) private roads of the subdivision in which I now live (Greene Acres). Miles of gravel roads, friends with bikes, it was all we did all weekend long.
This is the first bike I ever rode too! Friends of mine had one on their farm and we all took turns riding it. I was 10 and had no clue what I was doing. Never took the bike out of first gear and almost burnt it up but wiped out on a cow pie. That's when I decided I better let them teach me how to ride. Such a fun bike.
Old 02-03-2013, 05:51 PM   #1379
cameron110
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 421
Quote:
Originally Posted by vabuckaroo68 View Post
Do any of you C'ville folks happen to have an Enduro headlight switch laying around? I'm trying to put lights back on my EXC. The multi-function (950/LC4) switch isn't working. It checks out OK with the multi-tester, but I can't get it wired up correctly. I'm thinking a simpler switch might be easier to get working.
I would be happy to help you get that switch working, we might just need to buy a relay and build a harness. I was able to figure out the crazy switch wiring on my authority model RT which after several days of fiddling resulted in a much better understanding of how to make OEM switches work in creative ways.
cameron110 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 06:23 PM   #1380
vabuckaroo68
Gnarly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameron110 View Post
I would be happy to help you get that switch working, we might just need to buy a relay and build a harness. I was able to figure out the crazy switch wiring on my authority model RT which after several days of fiddling resulted in a much better understanding of how to make OEM switches work in creative ways.
That would be cool. Electronics is not really my thing. The tail light works OK, though. I hooked it into what's left of the original wiring harness.