User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2008, 04:08 PM   #1
Achtung OP
Wicked Pisssah Adventurer

Oddometer: 907
Curing DL650 Front End Clunk for $14.98

Some people have been reporting a loud and iritating noise coming from their front forks when going over certain types of bumps on the V Strom 650. Suzuki has said that this is a normal noise and that it does not affect the performance of the suspension. They're right, however it does affect my enjoyment of the bike and even though I could wear ear plugs I decided to try to eliminate it. Forgive me if its been covered already but I've heard people talk about it but never anyone who has said Yes I had it, heres how I fixed it.

I removed the front wheel and drained the fork oil. Then I pulled the springs and found that on the bottom of each spring was a highly polished flat spot that is presumably from where the spring is slapping the face of the damper rod, due to slow rebound dampening. One easy way to speed up rebound dampening is to switch to a lighter weight fork oil (as many dirt bike riders will tell you) The fork oil in it was a reddish color and was really thick leading me to believe that it is at least 10wt. I bought two pints of Honda brand 7.5 wt fork oil and added exactly what came out of the forks (approx 450cc). Then I buttoned it all up and rode the bike about 50 miles.

I hit many of the pot holes and expansion joints that always cause the noise and low and behold it was gone. I was hoping for an improvement and I have to say that it was totally eliminated. To do this I did not remove the forks only the wheel and you don't even need to take out the spring. All in all it took about an hour and I felt no real difference in the suspension action only that it was quieter. I hope this helps someone else. Good Luck
John

Achtung screwed with this post 10-01-2008 at 02:11 PM
Achtung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 05:38 PM   #2
Achtung OP

Pic
Attached Images

Old 10-01-2008, 11:56 AM   #3
BlueRider
Stromin' Alaska

Oddometer: 99
Man, I'm gonna try that, as this past weekend's ride on some pot holed mining roads was very noisy. I've lived with it too long. Any other issues crop up since, as more miles were put on? thanks for the post!
BlueRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 02:10 PM   #4
Achtung OP

I've put about 200 miles on the bike since switching to the lighter weight oil and haven't had any issues regarding the suspension. The rebound dampening is definitely a little faster and the noise is still gone.
Old 10-01-2008, 07:31 PM   #5
choccoloco
Cabin Fever....

Oddometer: 798
That's interesting, I've noticed that annoying noise, i've read about it a few times, I don't like the sound as it tells my sensors something is mechanically wrong.
May have to give it a go when time permits, I don't have no fancy bike lift like yours.... nice.
Might be a good opportunity to change the suspension too...

hmm...

Thanks for the idea.
choccoloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 09:30 AM   #6
kiwi_outdoors
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achtung View Post
Some people have been reporting a loud and iritating noise coming from their front forks when going over certain types of bumps on the V Strom 650. Suzuki has said that this is a normal noise and that it does not affect the performance of the suspension. They're right, however it does affect my enjoyment of the bike and even though I could wear ear plugs I decided to try to eliminate it. Forgive me if its been covered already but I've heard people talk about it but never anyone who has said Yes I had it, heres how I fixed it.

I removed the front wheel and drained the fork oil. Then I pulled the springs and found that on the bottom of each spring was a highly polished flat spot that is presumably from where the spring is slapping the face of the damper rod, due to slow rebound dampening. One easy way to speed up rebound dampening is to switch to a lighter weight fork oil (as many dirt bike riders will tell you) The fork oil in it was a reddish color and was really thick leading me to believe that it is at least 10wt. I bought two pints of Honda brand 7.5 wt fork oil and added exactly what came out of the forks (approx 450cc). Then I buttoned it all up and rode the bike about 50 miles.

I hit many of the pot holes and expansion joints that always cause the noise and low and behold it was gone. I was hoping for an improvement and I have to say that it was totally eliminated. To do this I did not remove the forks only the wheel and you don't even need to take out the spring. All in all it took about an hour and I felt no real difference in the suspension action only that it was quieter. I hope this helps someone else. Good Luck
John
So - in order to drain the oil you removed the famous recessed "cylinder bolts" that hold the damper rod into the outer body? Is that correct?
kiwi_outdoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 07:05 AM   #7
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,524
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi_outdoors View Post
So - in order to drain the oil you removed the famous recessed "cylinder bolts" that hold the damper rod into the outer body? Is that correct?
You can, but the easier way is to turn them upside down and let the oil drain out of the top, which you presumably have already removed. While holding the forks upside down, pump them a few times to ensure they drain properly. Then pump them again when refilling them. And, remember to measure the oil level with the springs removed.
Old 02-25-2013, 04:27 PM   #8
dugan13
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Wee fork clunk

I have a low mileage 2007 Wee which I picked up late last fall. I put about 2000 miles on it and the one thing that stood out was a clunk in the front fork when I hit any small bump in the road.

Last week I went on a ride in California. In preparation I checked the fluid level in the forks. After I took the caps off and removed the springs the fluid was 1 inch high on both sides so I siphoned 2 inches out and added back 1 inch of 5W Honda Fork oil bringing the level up to the correct level 4.5 inches when measured from the top.

I rode it 2500 miles last week and the problem was gone. This fixed the problem completely.
1966 X6 Hustler
dugan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:03 PM   #9
greywolf
Unpaved road avoider

Oddometer: 962
4.5" is 114.3mm. The service manual spec is 143mm or 5.63" of air from the top of the oil to the top of the compressed fork tube without the spring. A bit of a change in level can be used to reduce or increase the effective spring rate a bit, but that's beyond the scope.

in order of ownership
1971 Honda CB350, 2 1973 Honda CB500s, one was stolen, 1974 Can-Am 175 TNT, 1978 Yamaha XS11, 1978 Honda CX500, 1975 BMW R90S, 1983 BMW R65LS, 2005 Suzuki DL650 totaled, 2007 Suzuki DL650A, 2012 Suzuki DL650A
greywolf is offline   Reply With Quote