sunandsand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 12:59 PM   #437
funhouse
Overdue

Oddometer: 3,044
fuel range / milage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno Brasletti
In my 1700mile trip I made an average of 145miles to the tank (not drilled). In my opinion, with this seat, you don't want to have any more fuel range then this! As for the seat, instead of a renazco seat (from whom I got one for my Ape and are fantastic) I wouldn’t invest that kind of money just because you'll be creating a new problem: now that I can bare more then 150miles on the bike, I need to spend money on a extra gas tank!

I've opted instead by buying a pair of padded shorts (used for cycling) and solved the problem with 15€. I'm now able to do several 150mile stages in a day, without having a sorrow arse!

And yes, it’s a fabulous bike!!!!!!... and no I don’t complain about the handling of it, although I had to do some adjustments to the suspension.

BTW, I was impressed with the variety of models parked on that café (??). Over here you’ll only see RR’s!.... and the CBX with waved disks and USD forks… huummmmm….
Good points all -- the real upside of added fuel is when riding with others whose bikes go 200 miles between fillups.....I hate being the guy who stops the train EVERY TIME because of short fuel....Bruce

http://picasaweb.google.com/funhouse750
funhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 07:35 PM   #438
HPSaucy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 291
Quote:
I hate being the guy who stops the train EVERY TIME because of short fuel.
I hadn't thought of that, all my buds are GSA riders, they'll be hating me and my peanut tank!!
Too bad, I'll just have to nip ahead, get gas, and wait for 'em all to catch up!!
www.HP2.info
HPSaucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 09:48 PM   #439
Ron50
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPSaucy
I hadn't thought of that, all my buds are GSA riders, they'll be hating me and my peanut tank!!
Too bad, I'll just have to nip ahead, get gas, and wait for 'em all to catch up!!
My MM isn't too bad on range, better than my son's carby Firestorm.
It recently won its class in the Canberra Eco Challenge with 30 kilometres per litre riding for economy but keeping to the speed limits, and it doesn't drop below 20 kpl even if I get up it.
I've had it down to an indicated 7 kilometres range left without a splutter. I'm wary about fuel pump damage so I won't be running it dry on purpose.
But even at a stated 7 kilometres left it only took a little over 11 litres to fill.
My R100GSPD will give 18 kpl cruising and 14 flogging. It's supposed to have a 36 litre tank but I've never got more than 32 into it when it's run dry.
And as for the seat, I wish the roads I ride on were good enough to let me keep my bum planted on it long enough to become sore.

Ron50 screwed with this post 08-12-2009 at 09:56 PM
Ron50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 06:49 AM   #440
HPSaucy
Gnarly Adventurer

As promised I'm building up a set of pictures of the bikes I see during car week here in Monterey. Sadly I won't be at Pebble Beach Concours on Sunday as I have to get back home that morning, but it will be the first time that two wheelers are parked on the green along with four.

I'll keep adding shots as I go, you can see them in this thread, and if you have any interest in the car stuff it is running in this thread.
www.HP2.info
Old 08-14-2009, 09:24 AM   #441
sunandsand
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
Thanks for the pics. That confederate is something else.
Old 08-15-2009, 11:33 AM   #442
Ray R
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 698
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunandsand
Ray, you don't mention if you ever went to the stiffer spring in the rear. I'm curious, and Hp would probably like to know that if you did, what differences you felt. With a nicely set up RT, I can't imagine you still riding the MM with the stock spring as I think that you would be able to notice the MM rear end.
I put the new spring on and got it all reassembled last night. I took it out for a ride today, and the spring does make a difference. I thought since it was made for a heavier rider, it would create a harsher ride. But it's just the opposite. The ride is more compliant. It feels like I have more travel over the bumps, which it probably does since I'm not compressing the spring as much as the stock one with my weight. It also feels more solid in the corners. With the stock spring, I used to get a bit of wobble in the rear, but that's gone now too. I guess it was worth every bit of $89.95.

The shock was an easy removal...probably one of the easiest I've done. But you need a T-55 Torq socket to remove the lower and upper bolts. The spring removal was something I couldn't do, even after backing out the preload nuts as far as I could. I took it to a suspension shop, and they swapped the spring for me...about a 2 minute job with the right tool....no charge.

I think between the tank and the spring, it feels like I gained about 6-8hp.

Oh, wait. Maybe it's the 30lbs I've lost over the last 6 mos.
Old 08-15-2009, 04:30 PM   #443
sunandsand
Adventurer

You're exactly right in that you have more travel as it was sacked out with you on it before and you were probably operating on 30% of available travel. You are riding higher in the stroke than before and therefore have more movement which will give you a plusher feel. As much as if not more difference is the geometry that it maintains while you're riding it. It should steer better now and feel much better and easier to turn in.

On another note, I've got a few hundred miles on my MM and love the bike. The Isotta screen makes it much more tolerable on the highway and I'll be installing GSA handguards in the next couple of days which I think will add to highway comfort. The handguards are something I would not have noticed making such a difference but just getting off a GSA brings that to light.

I also think that the MM has a pretty weak headlight, unlike my RT or GSA, which I thought had great headlights in conjunction with the BMW running lights. To fix that, I will be installing a genuine HID setup in the MM in the next few days. I put HID's in my RT and it makes such a difference. I'm surprised I've not read of any other comments on the lack of brightness of the stock headlights. After my first minute on the bike in the dark I knew it was going to be a top priority. I purchased the HID's for my RT and MM, if anyone would like to know, at a place here in San Diego, www.ddmtuning.com. Their prices are the least expensive short of buying them off ebay from China and they give a lifetime warranty on what they sell so if something goes out, they are 20 minutes from me. I've bought and installed 2 of their kits in RT's and they work great with no lamp faults on the display.

The kit for the MM is trickier as it's an H4 bulb. A standard H4 bulb has both low and high beam filaments in the same bulb with one lighting on low and the high coming on with the high beam switch. It works with a single bulb because the filaments are in a different plane in the bulb and relative to it's position inside the headlight reflector thus causing a light beam that projects "higher" for a high beam. The H4 HID is not capable of that so must use a 2 position base for the bulb in which the bulb literally retracts inside the housing a few millimeters to project the beam farther down the road. Unfortunately with that, you have a little more wiring and must power the control unit for the motor/solenoid that moves the bulb with separate power. That won't be an issue as I've got a touratech fuse block installed under my seat switched with the key. I just have to run the wiring. I may not get it done for a few weeks as I'm going to be out of town, but if anyone's interested, I'd be glad to give more details. It's not difficult, is almost a plug and play, but some minor wiring is necessary. On the other hand, you can get a standard H4 HID without the extra hassle of wiring up the control unit but you would not have a headlight that will have a higher beam when you switch to high beam.

Ray, you've got to an H7 kit for your RT if you have not already, you will thank me for this one.

I've got pulsing front brakes already, (most likely bent rotors, although I've not measured them yet) it's faster than all hell, and the front end is the worst set up pair of forks I've ever ridden. It literally gives me headaches when the road is bumpy. Front compression is all the way out and I could take some oil out of the forks, but the springs are so stiff that it's not even worth the hassle to try to compensate for the spring rate. Still no news from Marzocchi USA as Marzocchi Italy is on vacation. The stiction has loosened up only marginally and I've got a couple options for setting them up which will come after my return, none particularly inexpensive.

Also, I ordered a Aros header which is being shipped to friend's place in Switzerland where I will be and it will be coming home with me upon return on the plane. That should be a nice improvement.

I'm still up in the air about the HPN tank. Maybe one will be coming home with me on the plane as well. That should save me a hundred or more Euros. Anyone know what BMW Atlanta gets for an HPN tank for this?
I've tried to see if I can tolerate the range and so far I'm not so keen. I've filled up 3 times already in 230 miles, (yes, I twist the throttle) whereas with my GSA, I don't think I had to put gas in until I had almost twice the total miles I've got on my MM thus far. This is such a love hate relationship with this bike....
Old 08-15-2009, 06:24 PM   #444
NakedRider
NakedRider

Oddometer: 664
Hey sunandsand - what is your front rebound set to?

I had mine backed out to almost full soft and it really helped the stiff feeling in the front.
Old 08-15-2009, 06:33 PM   #445
sunandsand
Adventurer

I don't recall exactly but I think around 15 or so out. 10 is stock.
Old 08-17-2009, 07:04 AM   #446
Bruno Brasletti
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
What are the odds???

So, what would the odds be???....
http://s565.photobucket.com/albums/s...=Araujo058.jpg
This is my bike (back) and BingBong's (front) at this Sunday's "Cabo da Roca" gathering. What a lovely ride it was! We eneded up the say sailing on the Tejo river. FUNTASTIC!!!!
Bruno Brasletti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 09:40 AM   #447
Joe Bar OP
Middle England

Oddometer: 1,356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno Brasletti
So, what would the odds be???....
Not good, in 14 months of ownership, I've only ever seen one other on the road, and never seen 2 in the same place at the same time.
Old 08-17-2009, 10:00 PM   #448
HPSaucy
Gnarly Adventurer

I know there are at least a couple in the LA area,

but I haven't noticed any SoCal posters on any of the forums I've been to.
www.HP2.info
Old 08-18-2009, 03:38 AM   #449
RoteEddie
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 522
Anyone considered adding additional lighting on the MM? I am considering ordering a Hella DE Xenon, but I am not sure how I can mount it on the MM. Any good ideas out there?

I found a very good price for a set of 2 on ebay. As I only need one, maybe someone would like the 2nd light?
12' KTM 690 Enduro R Evo2
RoteEddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 06:50 AM   #450
NakedRider
NakedRider

Oddometer: 664
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPSaucy
but I haven't noticed any SoCal posters on any of the forums I've been to.
I never saw another up here either. Just the one that's still on the showroom floor at A&S.