User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2014, 08:27 PM   #1
mattlikesbikes OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 194
Soft brake

Crappy weather here for the last few weeks has kept the bike in the garage, side stand.

I wanted to take it out tomorrow and I was checking it this afternoon and the front brake is super soft. It's happened before and I pumped it up and that helped, but it seemed like it took a lot of use to firm up for good. Fast forward a few months I was wondering if there was another option? Bleed it? Just take the cap off and pump?

Thanks
Old 09-24-2014, 05:21 AM   #2
Pangit
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
Take it to your dealer and find out why.
Pangit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 10:06 AM   #3
mattlikesbikes OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Pangit, I appreciate the suggestion, but was wondering what my options might be that didn't include the dealer. I find that they are rather proud of their time and charge accordingly.
Old 09-24-2014, 10:55 AM   #4
tofire409
Geared up and ready.

Oddometer: 654
assuming that you don't have a leak...when was the last fluid change?

From what I understand, it's a closed system. If you are loosing pressure then my assumption is you have a leak or one of the check valves are not functioning as they should.

I was on a demo bike that had a valve reversed so that the pressure wouldn't release...not fun to have a seized front break while riding!
tofire409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 11:29 AM   #5
Capt CF
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattlikesbikes View Post
Crappy weather here for the last few weeks has kept the bike in the garage, side stand.

I wanted to take it out tomorrow and I was checking it this afternoon and the front brake is super soft. It's happened before and I pumped it up and that helped, but it seemed like it took a lot of use to firm up for good. Fast forward a few months I was wondering if there was another option? Bleed it? Just take the cap off and pump?

Thanks
That used to happen with clutches all the time when I had Ducatis. I rigged up a bleeder bottle out of a Gatorade bottle and some clear tubing from Home Depot and just bled the clutch a bit to get the air out whenever it would happen. It happened so frequently on one of them that I made sure to bleed the clutch before every big ride. I'd do the same with the brakes since it only takes a minute or three. At least do it to rule it out and then go from there if it doesn't help. I'd be surprised if it doesn't fix it. Usually when my brakes or clutch (on a bike with a hydraulic clutch) are squishy a quick bleed makes it as good as new.
Old 09-24-2014, 11:38 AM   #6
mattlikesbikes OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt CF View Post
That used to happen with clutches all the time when I had Ducatis. I rigged up a bleeder bottle out of a Gatorade bottle and some clear tubing from Home Depot and just bled the clutch a bit to get the air out whenever it would happen. It happened so frequently on one of them that I made sure to bleed the clutch before every big ride. I'd do the same with the brakes since it only takes a minute or three. At least do it to rule it out and then go from there if it doesn't help. I'd be surprised if it doesn't fix it. Usually when my brakes or clutch (on a bike with a hydraulic clutch) are squishy a quick bleed makes it as good as new.
Do you just bleed off the top bleeder screw, on the MC? So just take the cap off the reservoir and open bleeder valve while depressing, close valve, release lever, repeat?

Are things different with ABS?
Old 09-24-2014, 12:01 PM   #7
Capt CF
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattlikesbikes View Post
Do you just bleed off the top bleeder screw, on the MC? So just take the cap off the reservoir and open bleeder valve while depressing, close valve, release lever, repeat?

Are things different with ABS?
ABS doesn't change anything - same with ABS or no ABS. I didn't watch all of it, but this looks decent enough without messing with the 911 stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9rEj-AAYBA

I found this too - http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=603113

There are some other threads floating around here that are good.

Capt CF screwed with this post 09-24-2014 at 12:12 PM
Capt CF is offline   Reply With Quote