Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-03-2008, 07:13 PM   #31
DolphinJohn
Really, Really Cool

Oddometer: 3,715
Also rock-steady at 90 mph on stock Battlewings.

My Ride Reports
DolphinJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 10:13 PM   #32
Maddaddy
Greg

Oddometer: 1,635
Loose Steering

My dealer has had a few Steering bearings (including mine) that were "over greased" at the factory. When the grease warmed up the steering got loose.

...and now back to the tires.

Looking to see if Heidenau tires are in the US. They seem to be very popular over seas and down under. Also Mitas.
Old 11-03-2008, 11:06 PM   #33
monsterscout
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Tire Dealer

I've ordered several sets of Metzler Tourances from AmericanMotoTire.com for my F-650GS (single). I haven't shopped around a ton, but they seem to have competitive prices and their shipping isn't that bad either if you don't mind waiting for ground. If the 140/80 - 17 will work, I'm going to try the Sahara's when my factory tires are done. I've been very impressed at how well my dad's Dakar does on the asphalt and they are waaaaaay better on the dirt.
Old 11-07-2008, 06:38 AM   #34
kkesp
UPSIDERIGHT

Oddometer: 226
I saw these in a magazine yesterday so...

Maxxis introduces its new radial Adventure-Touring tire, the Presa Detour MA-PD. Available in V-Strom, BMW, and Triumph Tiger sizes, the Presa Detour offers excellent and responsive handling in both wet or dry, on and off-road conditions. The Detour’s stable central blocks and large grooves easily disperse water and grip the road in a straight line and while weaving through the back roads, offering comfort and ease throughout your ride. With its unique compound, the new Presa Detour will yield low tread wear to make your adventures seem endless!

Stable central blocks with large grooves for outstanding water dispersion
Optimized tread pattern creates a larger contact patch for increased cornering confidence, and smooth transition
Special formulated compounds yield low tread wear while offering outstanding traction
kkesp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 07:58 AM   #35
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,900
The Presa Detours are made of butter. However, with only 80 hp on tap, they might last longer on a 800GS. If they had the same compound as Tourances, I think they could be great tires. I thought 2350 miles was sorta lame mileage for a rear. YMMV.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 08:24 AM   #36
DolphinJohn
Really, Really Cool

Oddometer: 3,715
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkesp
I saw these in a magazine yesterday so...

Maxxis introduces its new radial Adventure-Touring tire, the Presa Detour MA-PD. Available in V-Strom, BMW, and Triumph Tiger sizes, the Presa Detour offers excellent and responsive handling in both wet or dry, on and off-road conditions. The Detour’s stable central blocks and large grooves easily disperse water and grip the road in a straight line and while weaving through the back roads, offering comfort and ease throughout your ride. With its unique compound, the new Presa Detour will yield low tread wear to make your adventures seem endless!

Stable central blocks with large grooves for outstanding water dispersion
Optimized tread pattern creates a larger contact patch for increased cornering confidence, and smooth transition
Special formulated compounds yield low tread wear while offering outstanding traction
Don't look much different than the Battlewings.
I think the stock Battlewings are fine on pavement,
and these tires don't look like they'd be any better off pavement,
so..... why would you replace the stockers with these?

My Ride Reports
DolphinJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 01:52 PM   #37
Wildman
In my castle

Oddometer: 17,604
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddaddy
Anyone else got good info?
http://f800riders.org/HoW/showentry.php?e=26
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 10:11 AM   #38
mrleadfoot67
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
800 GS Speed Wobble/Tire observations

My 800 GS tires were not balanced from the factory.

Picked up my bike and levered a Karoo onto the front right away and headed for the dirt. I noticed no wheel weights and thought maybe the stock battlewings were incredibly well balanced. I static balanced the Karoo and found it only needed .25 oz. The next week when I changed the front back for a cross country road trip. I checked the balance and needed .75 oz to balance it, and decided to check the rear for good measure-1.25 oz out of balance.

If your bike has a speed wobble, it's likely the tires being out of balance, the suspension and frame on the bike are incredibly stable on the highway.

9000 miles on stock battlewings, I just put a 150/70 17 TKC on the back and the Karoo back on the front. The bike responded much better off road with two (street) knobbies than a front knobbie and the rear battlewing. More predictable sliding and easier to envoke wheelspin on demand. They handle quite well on road as well (passed a couple sportbikes on Ortega Hwy yesterday)

It is a compromise though, and the only way to avoid it is to have good street tires and good dirt tires. My plan is going to be 17's front and rear for street riding and 21/18 combo for dirt using a 130/90 18 Pirelli MT-21s. The taller rear will help clearance and quicken up the handling :) and I think the bike would absolutely rail with some Michelin Pilot Powers on the street.

In the mean time though I'm going to put Anakees on for the usual street duty and lever TKCs for the fun dirt stuff.
mrleadfoot67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 10:25 AM   #39
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,115
Leadfoot:

Do you have a fixture for checking balance or do you just do it on the bike?

On my last bike (smaller and older) I would just spin the wheel several times marking the low point and it was always the same would add weight opposite until the settle point was "random" .... on back wheel I would disconnect chain first of course

Is there a need for a more sophisticated approach?

Thanks,
Jim
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 08:48 PM   #40
huckleberry
BACK ROAD BOMBER

Oddometer: 1,106
talkin about tkc front and battlewing rear-----is anyone concerned about the battlewing being a radial and the tkc not?? wouldn't this be a potential problem on the road?
Beta Techno
huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 02:44 PM   #41
MTrider16
Ridin' in MT

Oddometer: 1,453
Since we're reporting personal test results here in this thread, I thought I'd chime in.

Battlewings do not have enough grip to keep me upright in -6F, rutted, packed snow conditions. Perhaps if you had more mad skills than I ... but I'd have to see you do it. Plan on studded knobbies if you want to do this type of riding. You've been warned.

FAIL

David
Mountains, Moose, and Miles: a Montanan's Alcan Highway Story
Continental Divide and More: the "No Dust" Tour of WY and MT
MTrider16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 11:55 PM   #42
Peter800GS
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Eh? Anakees on F800GS

Has anyone put Anakees on their 800GS.
I've put a TKC 80 on the rear amd an MT21 on the front of my 8GS.
There's about 2-3 mm left on the TKC after 1500 kms ( 1,000 miles ) riding 70/30 road to dirt. I hope the last 1-2 mm lasts a while.
The MT21 on the front is noisey on the road, grips well in both wet and dry though the bike does shake its head at speeds over 120 kph ( 65 Mph ).
In the dirt I have no complaints.
Your feedback on either Anakees or Tourances would be apprieciated.
Peter800GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 06:29 PM   #43
Bayner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,457
Question

Has anyone tried out the Karoo Travellers on the 800 yet?
Bayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 06:36 PM   #44
M N B
would rather be riding

Oddometer: 1,106
I know the Anakees are shipping as stock on some F800GS bikes.

Mine came with BattleWings (bought one week before Thanksgiving), but I know someone that bought theirs one week ago and it has Anakees on it.

The profile isn't as rounded as the Battlewings, but the groove width is larger (and deeper I thinkg), so I think it might be better suited for dirt. I may give those a shot after the BattleWings wear out.

I'd like to go with knobbies, but with so little dirt to ride locally, it seems an expensive luxury to burn off knobbies quickly because of riding them on the pavement so much.
2003 Husqvarna TE610e
1997 BMW K1100LT Special Edition
M N B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 07:11 PM   #45
ROYAL COACHMAN
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 913
My TKC'S have been very stable at uber legal speeds and great off road.
ROYAL COACHMAN is offline   Reply With Quote