User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2010, 08:04 PM   #1
lstewart OP
Jus' Sayin'

Oddometer: 568
C.A.R.D.S. Ride Again, North 1/2, CDT

C.A.R.D.S. - Central Alabama Riders Dual Sport.
(In all fairness, since I didn't come up with the acronym, or make the stickers, ((thanks Mee-shell)), I have to admit the R may actually stand for "Redneck").
This trip was made by four of the original five cards, (a.k.a. KLR club), which is fitting since the legendary dead mans hand of Aces and Eights of spades and clubs, only included four cards (depending on which version you read). And, also ironically, was eerily similar in many ways. (i.e. well planned, plagued with misfortune, and cut short). Fortunately, not as short as our first attempt. See here...http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=328567

And like the first trip attempt, it was a worthwhile adventure! Hopefully my co-conspirators will contribute. THATS A HINT...

So plans began I guess around Oct '09 when the decision was made to "do the CDT". The original plan I believe was to do the CDT south to north, trailering for 24 hours straight through from Alabama to New Mexico, basically starting at the border, traveling as far north as possible in five days, and then turning back south. Over the following months the plan would be "tweaked" to starting in Grants New Mexico, and finally based on time constraints, to start in Dillon Colorado, trying to make the Canadian border in five days, and then returning on the same path. After a number of roll chart edits, gpx file downloads and edits, and some wailing and gnashing of teeth, the final pre-departure plan was to leave from Dillon, take a "back road" more direct route to the border, then ride the CDT back to Dillon giving us plenty of time for taking it all in. As the day of departure neared, dates and times were adjusted, and eventually, we left on Sunday August 15th around 3:00 p.m. A few hours later than planned, but that was fine since we allowed for a few extra hours of travel. The drive was supposed to take 21 hours, plus gas and food stops, totaling right at 24 hours.

The C.A.R.D.S. include,
MotoMark, working on his KTM 640 Adventure...

G.B., working on his KTM 640 Adventure...

Mee-Shell, working on his KTM 640 Enduro...

And yours truly, LStewart, riding the Suzuki DR650...

Notice a pattern there? I'm sure a stray pic or two of me "maintaining and tweaking" the DR may emerge, but make no mistake, the DR made the trip trouble free. There were some hiccups at altitude and it could have benefited from a smaller jet. (I run a FMF Q4, open airbox, Dyno jet 170 main, e-clip fourth slot down). Perfect from sea level up to around 6,000 ft, but I started getting pretty rich around 6500 and had some misses and power loss above 7500ft.

Obligatory packing pics, and loaded bikes...

More to come as I sort through my notes...and wait for some C.A.R.D.S. member input...Fellas?

lstewart screwed with this post 08-31-2010 at 04:59 PM
lstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 05:36 AM   #2
motomark39
I reckon so

Oddometer: 1,062
AND..LSTEWART working on.......

His NEW DR650......

Mitchell

GB

Motomark

LStewart

motomark39 screwed with this post 08-30-2010 at 05:57 AM
motomark39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 12:37 PM   #3
mitchell205
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
C.a.r.d.s

[quote=lstewart]C.A.R.D.S. - Central Alabama Riders Dual Sport.
(In all fairness, since I didn't come up with the acronym, or make the stickers, ((thanks Mee-shell)), I have to admit the R may actually stand for "Redneck").

Just to be clear

CARDS stands for

Central Alabama Redneck Dual-sport Society

Rednecks on fast ass Austrian bikes (well one ugly jap boat anchor I know I know It cranks every time but that's not that important right)
.....And

equals a shit load of fun

mitchell205 screwed with this post 08-30-2010 at 12:52 PM
mitchell205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 12:54 PM   #4
mitchell205
Gnarly Adventurer

CARDS---I think we are still all Friends

Lstewart with orange bike envy

Old 08-30-2010, 01:05 PM   #5
mitchell205
Gnarly Adventurer

Love hurts

LStewart

[/quote]

Whoa is that the first NAC NAC on a DR650 ever caught on camera .....Ride 'em Cowboy
Old 08-30-2010, 02:47 PM   #6
lstewart OP
Jus' Sayin'

Wicked dismount

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchell205
LStewart

Whoa is that the first NAC NAC on a DR650 ever caught on camera .....Ride 'em Cowboy[/QUOTE]

And there they are...

If memory serves, I was dismounting the DR to snap a pic of Meeshell, lapping the parking lot (since he couldn't shut his KTM off. Well he could shut it off, but couldn't restart it without...we'll get to that. Pic and maybe video to come). That was right before that orange bike next to the DR knawed through the odo cable and...we'll get to that also. Pic to follow as well. But you guys are getting way ahead of the story. Take your jabs while you can. When your done, we'll start at the beginning with the story of how the "Old School Special Police Edition" DR outlasted a Ford F350, two 640 Adventures, and one 640 Enduro to prove it's superiority as the perfect dual sport machine...
Old 08-30-2010, 06:08 PM   #7
mitchell205
Gnarly Adventurer

KTM Blues

Hahahaha LMAO Thinking about all the weird looks I was getting from the Harley guys as I was lapping the parking lot.....
Old 08-30-2010, 08:33 PM   #8
lstewart OP
Jus' Sayin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchell205
Hahahaha LMAO Thinking about all the weird looks I was getting from the Harley guys as I was lapping the parking lot.....
All the while asking, "KTM...who makes a KTM?"

For the record, let me say the 640 Adventure MAY be the finest true dual sport ever made. Well engineered, good ergos, and well suspended. It is a high performance machine. There in may lie it's downfall. High performance machines are high maintenance machines needing lots of TLC, which equates to lots of $$$. As Ferris said, "Its choice. If you have the means, I highly recommend one!" However, you can't get a new one in the U.S., and again, they require T$L$C$. For now, for me, simpler is better. I'll take the DR. It may not be as "sophisticated". But we're riding off road, not the Autobahn!

Now that we've got past the pleasentries, I'll get to work organizing some pics, and we'll get this report started.

Real quick, I'd like to take the time to give a big thanks to JJUSTJ for his graciuos hospitality. J posted tent space in Dillon and was kind enough to let us park our truck and trailor in his driveway for a week or so and even allowed us the use of the facilities in his camper. Damn fine of you J. If you ever get down around Alabama look us up. We'll be happy to return the favor.

One more thanks to "Wild Bill" in Atlantic City Wy for the gas. To anyone who took gas from Wild Bill and didn't leave the man some cash, you know who you are. IMO, your scum of the Earth. I hope your next adventure finds you stranded off the road somewhere in the middle of nowhere...out of gas...For future reference, Wild Bill is leaving Atlantic City. No other gas for 30 miles. Plan accordingly!

Actual RR starts tomorrow...

lstewart screwed with this post 08-31-2010 at 02:57 PM
Old 08-31-2010, 06:38 AM   #9
lstewart OP
Jus' Sayin'

As promised...

This would be "the Lapper", and McGuivering the knawed up odo cable, and what would eventually be know as "Monkey Lovin'" the 640 Enduro to life...

Video of the "Monkey Lovin'"

lstewart screwed with this post 08-31-2010 at 08:18 AM
Old 08-31-2010, 07:06 AM   #10
lstewart OP
Jus' Sayin'

The actual ride report

We left Moody Alabama around 3:00 p.m. and drove around 24 hours without incident. We stop at a truck stop for fuel and I notice an odor of oil near the rear of the truck. We were mainly worried about trailor wheel bearings, so I check the trailor. Seems fine. Then we notice some oil spray on the trailor, bikes and rear of the truck. A seal on the rear end was leaking. We borrowed some tools from a trucker added some gear oil.

Enough to get us to the nearest Ford dealership in Goodland Kansas. They have the seal, and refer us to a shop just down the street that said they could get right on it. The tech puts it on the rack and says it'll take him about an hour. Feeling lucky, we take a lunch break at the local Pizza hut, stop by the dollar store for last minute supplies, and then walk back to the shop. The doors are locked, and the truck is still inside. What the...? So we wait...

and wait

and wait...

and wait...

Finally, the door comes up, the truck comes out, and we're rolling. Two hour delay is actually pretty lucky under the circumstances. Drive on...

We made it to Dillon around 1900, met with J, unloaded, and headed to dinner at the Arapaho Cafe. That night in Dillon would be the coldest night we would spend. But we were up and ready to get on the bikes early the next morning. Breakfast is a frozen power bar, and cold water. After "massaging" the KTM's (they didn't like the cold apparently) they finally cooperated and woke up. The DR fired right up, without complaint. And we headed North. Destination, Meeshells in-laws in Wyoming about 300 miles away. Mostly pavement, but we finally hit some dirt at the Colorado Utah line.

lstewart screwed with this post 08-31-2010 at 03:03 PM
Old 08-31-2010, 07:15 AM   #11
lstewart OP
Jus' Sayin'

The first KTM protest...

Within the first 300 yds of dirt, we encounter a "quick sand" boobie trap. Mitchell downshifts, the enduro protests, and dies, causing the front end to wallow into the sand, and DOWN GOES MITCHELL...

The Enduro was pissed, and refused to restart...

Disassemble, and diagnos...

and diagnos...

We got used to seeing the Enduro, naked...
Old 08-31-2010, 07:31 AM   #12
lstewart OP
Jus' Sayin'

Merrell to the rescue!

Mitchell calls his father-in-law and asks if he can find a battery and head that way. Meanwhile, we figure a work around and manage to jump the bike off, thinking the battery has been fried, but we really don't know why. It runs, then it dies. We load it, unload it, load GB's bike, unload GB's bike using his battery to get the Enduro fired up. Eventually, we get the bike running and take off toward Merrells. We call him and tell him, grab a battery and hold tight, we're headed your way.

Now the rule on the CDT is, "NEVER PASS GAS!" We stop at an intersection in a tiny little town near Merrells. Moto points at the gas station, Meeshell doesn't want to stop and shut the bike off and figures we can make it. We...PASS GAS!!! Passing the Wyoming state line sign, I see Mitchell reach for his petcock, he's on reserve. The DR simultaneously sputters, I hit reserve. About 30 something miles later, simultaneously, the Enduro and the DR run out of gas.

300 miles riding mostly due west looking into the sun, and out of gas in the middle of nowhere Wyoming, it's written all over my face...

The scenery was beautiful though. So, we call Merrell. He brings a truck, and gas. The good news, he and Lynn have cold beer and steaks waiting!

Merrell and Lynn are extremely gracious hosts with a beautiful home in Wyoming. The beer is cold. They cut the biggest ribeyes I've EVER seen. We eat, we drink, we relax. They've got two beds in the house, one bedroom in their renovated barn, and one in their camper. We spent a great night and woke up early rested and ready to ride. They decided to accompany us north into Yellowstone on their...Goldwing.
Old 08-31-2010, 07:35 AM   #13
lstewart OP
Jus' Sayin'

The in-laws

Old 08-31-2010, 10:31 AM   #14
mitchell205
Gnarly Adventurer

Just J's house

J's house after we unloaded the bikes thanks a million J