Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2008, 08:39 PM   #136
ZZR_Ron
Underground

Oddometer: 7,904
We told him trolling like this wouldn't work....but you know Kari.(think he still caught fish)

ZZR_Ron screwed with this post 10-23-2008 at 09:29 PM
ZZR_Ron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 04:34 PM   #137
squonker OP
Eat my shorts

Oddometer: 3,843
That Kari could catch a fish anywhere - he's a good man to have along with you on a bike trip, too!

A few pics from D2D, and Dawson City in general, because I have to use them up before I get to the part of the RR where I leave town!

Here's JuneauDave in the bar...as usual....

KLR Corner

More KLR Corner

Even more KLR Corner

The ferry across the Yukon River runs 24/7 except for a three hour break once a week, in the wee hours, for maintenance. It's free, but the guys that run it seemed quite anal about where you could and couldn't stand...certainly much more anal than the ferry folks in the NWT, but maybe the Yukoners have had worse experiences with travellers. There are certainly more of them there.

A neat looking sky one evening during the festivities

Ride Report: Canada North to South 2008 here
Drive Report: Ice Road Trucking 2005-2011 here

squonker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 05:46 PM   #138
motomac
Mac

Oddometer: 419
Ben, absolutely great stuff. I have to point out one thing about the ferry runs. Yeah it runs 24/7, but the border crossing isn't open all night. It closes sometime in the evening and doesn't open until 9:00 in the morning. So when you get up and break camp at 5:00 AM and think you're going to get to Tok the same morning for breakfast, no siree bobster!!! I forget how long I sat at the border crossing waiting for it to open, at least a couple of hours.
'13 Gold Wing 9,372 miles
motomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 01:25 AM   #139
Old Baldy
Sneaky Slow

Oddometer: 57
Absolutely stunning pics and truly a great RR, man! Your RR makes me realize that I simply HAVE to get back up there to finish the trip (we got as far as the Dempster, but didn;t run it, due to the heavy, heavy rain around the Canada Day holiday. Waited 2 days but then ran out of time.
Thanks for the effort you put in on this one......

ride safe.
OB
http://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-us/197362.png
Old Baldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 12:36 PM   #140
Spicy McHaggis
Darth Peach's cracker...

Oddometer: 3,787
Thumb Some yahoo's stole my Ural...

Squonker...

Sander...

Claire and I...

Spicy McHaggis screwed with this post 10-26-2008 at 02:40 PM
Spicy McHaggis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 02:22 PM   #141
squonker OP
Eat my shorts

Sgt. Marty does the Sour Toe Cocktail

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomac
Ben, absolutely great stuff. I have to point out one thing about the ferry runs. Yeah it runs 24/7, but the border crossing isn't open all night. It closes sometime in the evening and doesn't open until 9:00 in the morning. So when you get up and break camp at 5:00 AM and think you're going to get to Tok the same morning for breakfast, no siree bobster!!! I forget how long I sat at the border crossing waiting for it to open, at least a couple of hours.
Good advice, Mac! I didn't do Alaska this year but I'll be back and hope to remember this at the time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Baldy
Absolutely stunning pics and truly a great RR, man! Your RR makes me realize that I simply HAVE to get back up there to finish the trip (we got as far as the Dempster, but didn;t run it, due to the heavy, heavy rain around the Canada Day holiday. Waited 2 days but then ran out of time.
Thanks for the effort you put in on this one......

ride safe.
OB
Thank, man! Lots more to come...and once I leave Dawson I'll actually start to put some narrative in as well....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spicy McHaggis
You may notice JuneauDave is not in any of the late night pics...nor any of the morning ones. That's because he did the smart thing and went to bed early...and got up early for an early departure!
Spicy, you put up my fave picture before I did! That's it - your fired!! Oh well...I'll just put it up again in a while - no biggie (it's the one of us all outside the restaurant before we leave).
And as for Dave - is that why he wasn't in any of the late night or early morning shots? I thought it was just 'cos he's a grumpy old bastard!!!

Here's Sgt. Marty doing the famous Sour Toe Cocktail at the Downtown Hotel.

The toe itself...

Old 10-26-2008, 02:42 PM   #142
Spicy McHaggis
Darth Peach's cracker...

Quote:
Originally Posted by squonker
Spicy, you put up my fave picture before I did! That's it - your fired!! Oh well...I'll just put it up again in a while - no biggie (it's the one of us all outside the restaurant before we leave).
Sorry brudda...I took care of it!
Old 10-26-2008, 07:30 PM   #143
squonker OP
Eat my shorts

Quote:
Sorry brudda...I took care of it!
Hey bud, you didn't have to go that far - but I appreciate it! The only reason I care is because of the few words I'm going to write with that pic - it's special to me because...well, you'll find out in a day or two! Thanks, man.

Old 10-27-2008, 04:34 PM   #144
squonker OP
Eat my shorts

Last day in Dawson

And so it all came to an end. I guess it had to sometime. The last morning there a bunch of us had agreed to meet for breakfast at 10am. JuneauDave had left early, as had Motomac (them old guys never sleep anyway!) and while we all packing our gear, Spicy was generous enough to let a couple of us take the Ural around the block. Good on yer Spicy!

I have to say that I don't know how you even made it to Dawson on that thing, let alone to the Arctic Circle. It's a pig to drive! You apply the gas and it wants to steer one way. Put on the brakes and it wants to go the other...but it's a way cool machine and I'm very glad to have got to ride it. Of course, if I'd had boobs or a nice butt I'd have even got to go in the sidecar!

When breakfast was all said and done I think that quite a few of us were actually quite reluctant to leave. I know I was - I had mixed feelings that day because I was keen to continue my ride and the adventure, but I was genuinely sad to say goodbye to the gang. These folks weren't just some people I'd been hanging out with over the previous few days, they were my friends. They still are my friends. Granted, I've kept in touch with some more than others and, regrettably, some not at all, but almost everyone in this photo means something to me. Thank you all.

Left to right: Greg, one of the Alaskan crowd, Sgt. Marty, Spicy McHaggis, Keith (sitting on the sidewalk) Keith, I must have written your username down wrong - tried to PM you but your name wasn't recognised the way I'd spelt it. If you see this pic, drop me a line, bud! Sander (back on the bench), me, The Chanteuse (on the sidewalk), Homeontherange (back on the bench), and Paul. I'm going to look real bad now if I have any of them wrong!

Several thousand more KMs to go yet before this RR is over.....

Old 10-27-2008, 08:33 PM   #145
the Chanteuse
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
I love that picture!! you guys were so much fun that weekend! The fat old Brits who took the photos were pretty funny too...you were the only one who seemed to understand what they were saying! Dont they know we speak Canadian, eh?!
the Chanteuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 09:50 PM   #146
squonker OP
Eat my shorts

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Chanteuse
I love that picture!! you guys were so much fun that weekend! The fat old Brits who took the photos were pretty funny too...you were the only one who seemed to understand what they were saying! Dont they know we speak Canadian, eh?!
That's so funny! I'd totally forgotten about that English couple - we had a conversation and you guys were all, "What were you saying to eachother? We didn't understand a word!"

It's on my resume, you know - I'm bilingual. English and Canadian.

Old 10-28-2008, 04:35 AM   #147
Spicy McHaggis
Darth Peach's cracker...

Quote:
Originally Posted by squonker
That's so funny! I'd totally forgotten about that English couple - we had a conversation and you guys were all, "What were you saying to eachother? We didn't understand a word!"

It's on my resume, you know - I'm bilingual. English and Canadian.
Ahh yes, I had not a feckin' clue what you guys were saying. Might as well have been speaking Chinese!
Old 10-29-2008, 06:14 PM   #148
squonker OP
Eat my shorts

Leaving Dawson City

Quote:
Ahh yes, I had not a feckin' clue what you guys were saying. Might as well have been speaking Chinese!
It's a local dialect called 'Village Idiot'. I'm fluent - am surprised you couldn't understand it...

I took this one somewhere in Dawson - up on the Dome Road I guess, but it doesn't look quite the same. Anyway.

On the way out of town I wanted to stop and look at Dredge #4, one of those old mining behemoths from a few decades ago. These things are wild - I'd read about the Jack Wade example in many RRs here, but wanted to see one for myself. It's only a 10 minute ride or so from downtown.

There's nothing in the pics I took of it to give any sense of scale, which is unfortunate. I expect it looks like it's as big as a house in these pics, but it'd be more accurate to say it's the size of an apartment block. Unbelieveably huge.

I remember two things in particular about this. One is that the dredge was up a dirt road. I hadn't ridden my bike more than about 5 kms over the past two or three days, and on the gravel up to the site I found myself being overly cautious. Just the week before I'd ridden 1500 kms of gravel to Inuvik and back, and here I am scared of a 10 km road to a tourist attraction. Out of practise I suppose, or in the wrong head space.

The other thing is that Parks Canada, who manage this heritage attraction, were giving tours of the dredge and I never went on one. I knew at the time it was stuipd, but a few things were working against me (other than the fact that I'm an idiot!) I was in a strange mood because I was very aware of my new found friends, still, and wondering what adventures they were having on their ways home, or on their respective journeys. I missed them, I guess. I was also extremely tired from a night of revelry, and I was keen to get back to Whitehorse and the bed that Kate and Shane had kept for me. Shame, though - I'd have loved to have seen inside it and found out more about how it worked.

I had spoken to Hecktoglider about the possibility of stopping in Keno on the way back and maybe bumping in to him there, but I knew I was that tired that I just had to get home. As it was I stopped twice to snooze. I'd leave my helmet on and that acted as a bit of a pillow - I'm one of those lucky people who, if I'm tired enough, can sleep anywhere.

I made it back to Whitehorse at about 9pm that evening, absolutely exhausted. Kate and Shane were away for the night so I showered, threw some laundry on, ordered a pizza, ate it with a cup of tea infront of the TV and was asleep pretty much as soon as my head hit the pillow.

Old 10-29-2008, 07:34 PM   #149
Loud Al

Oddometer: 3,817
Great report, looking forward to the rest.

Allan
Loud Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 01:56 AM   #150
motomac
Mac

Oddometer: 419
I left Dawson City early and stopped for fuelin Whitehorse. It started to rain as I left heading for Watson Lake. I fueled at 1 and 37 and decided to stay at the convenient campground there. About midnight a bear decided he wanted to play and slashed an 8" gash in my tent fly and cut the netting inside the tent. I let out a tremendous yell and by the time I unzipped out of the bag, tent door and fly, he was nowhere to be seen. Took quite a while to get back to sleep!!! Next day it was rain down the Cassiar until 100 miles south of Deese Lake.
'13 Gold Wing 9,372 miles
motomac is offline   Reply With Quote