Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2008, 03:12 PM   #91
squonker OP
Eat my shorts

Oddometer: 3,959
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunstei
That's me - you can see my RR (complete with a picture of you @ Bell II, through the swarms of bugs!) at http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=355559
I'll co check it out now. Thanks!

Just a few more pics first...

Ride Report: Canada North to South 2008 here
Drive Report: Ice Road Trucking 2005-2014 here

squonker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 09:40 PM   #92
the Chanteuse
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
hey Skanky! great pix of the Dempster, driving thru those mountains was awsome and some of them looked like huge piles of gravel. I loved driving that road and I cant wait to go again next summer. Maybe the man and I will swing by your place and pick you up on our way by!!
the Chanteuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 08:03 AM   #93
squonker OP
Eat my shorts

Enter Spicy McHaggis

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Chanteuse
hey Skanky! great pix of the Dempster, driving thru those mountains was awsome and some of them looked like huge piles of gravel. I loved driving that road and I cant wait to go again next summer. Maybe the man and I will swing by your place and pick you up on our way by!!
Hey Chanteuse! You guys should so do that - come by YK for a visit on your way....well, it'd be a couple of days out of your way, but we both know I'm worth it!! You and I could have a condiment spilling competition (round one to you so far despite a valiant effort by me)! Good job your man likes mustard )!! I was going to ask whether you'd be comfortable riding with a KLR, but then I remembered you did the Top Of The World with Spicy on his Ural, so obviously your standards aren't too high!

Love, The Skanky Ho !!

And talking of Spicy McHaggis, look who we bumped in to. I was leading, Dave and Kari were behind me, and I passed a Ural coming the other way. I knew that Dave would stop to speak to him, so I turned around and we had an impromtu meet and greet on the side of the road. Enter Spicy:

This is the famous rig. You'll be seeing more of it over the next few updates, 'cos it's almost D2D time ...

We'd ridden out of the good weather by now and were experiencing light rain. It wasn't really a problem...bikes were pretty muddy, but it turns out that what we thought was water they'd been putting on the road the day before was actually calcium chloride. We'd got up that morning to find our bikes cakes in it, and now that first layer of cake was being covered up by a layer of mud.

We spent about ten minutes BSing and then went on our respective ways. Spicy was on his way to the Arctic Circle pullout to prove all the people that said it couldn't be done on a Ural wrong (and he did so - right on Spicy ), and JuneauDave, Hecktoglider and myself turned ourselves around and kept heading south. Dave told me that he and Spicy had arranged to share a spot at one of the campgrounds in Dawson, and that I was welcome to join them. This was the first of many generosities that Dave was to display over the next few days. NIce guy, that Dave - thanks again, man.

Old 10-15-2008, 08:29 AM   #94
squonker OP
Eat my shorts

Kari had gone on ahead to do some fishing so Dave and I were riding together at this point. We stopped again in the awe inspiring Tombstone Mtns. I could never get enough of this place.

There's a small interpretive centre there and as we walked in a little girl came out and announced that she was the 'Little Boss'. Her name was Emily (probably still is) and her grandmother ran the place. Emily was just a delight, so cute and so much fun. I asked if I could take her picture and she said, "No". She then asked if she could use my camera and we struck a deal. I got to take her picture

and she got to take ours. You have to rmember here that we'd just ridden the Dempster - Dave only had one night in Inuvik whereas I'd needed three to recover, so he was probably even more frazzled than I was. Niether of us looked our best by this stage...

Dave:

and me (guess it's true what they say about the Brits and their teeth!)

With the help of Photoshop I've managed to touch up the pics and this is what we looked like in our own eyes at the time...

Much better!

Old 10-15-2008, 08:42 AM   #95
Spicy McHaggis
Darth Peach's cracker...

Oddometer: 3,789
Thumb

Old 10-15-2008, 10:56 AM   #96
squonker OP
Eat my shorts

End of the Dempster

At last we made it back to the bottom of the Dempster. Dave and I had been getting ahead of eachother and waiting to get shots of us on the move. I remember when we were very near the bottom I scooted ahead and pulled off, but I did so too far off the road, and as I was walking towards it with my camera Dave rode passed without seeing me. Luckily he had figured out that I'd turned off somewhere and was behind him, so he waited the few minutes until I turned up.

At the signpost we took pics of ourselves and our bikes covered in a thick layer of calcium chloride and mud.

Hey Motomac, check out the muddy plate here, bud!

My boots

We pulled in to the gas station where Hecktoglider and I gassed up before heading up the Dempster looking for a pressure washer with which to get the worst of the crud off our bikes, but there was a queue of RVs waiting to use it so we gave up. But sitting at the pumps were a couple of bikes, so we went over to say hello and they turned out to be Homeontherange and his other half, The Chanteuse. We shot the shit for a few mins and having fallen for The Chanteuse she told me she wouldn't fuck me for practise , and I fell in love with her bike instead (Which, come to think of it I never got to ride either!!!). An orange F650GS with Jesse Bags - sweet!! We were to see lots more of Homeontherange and The Chanteuse at D2D over the next few days. Meanwhile they were headed to the Arctic Circle pullout and would no doubt have run into Spicy at Eagle Plains.

Kari turned up while we were all chatting, then Dave, Kari and I rode back to Dawson together. Kari went to look for a bush spot while Dave and I dropped our things off at the camping spot he'd booked and then found a pressure washer we could use to clean our bikes.

You can see the big yellow and black bracelet here that Rick had given me at Eagle Plains - my good luck bracelet (it was to come in useful again ina couple of weeks....)

The following day we heard that Dawson Dick had set up a free bike wash out the back of the Downtown Hotel so we took advantage of his generosity and did a more thorough job then.

squonker screwed with this post 10-15-2008 at 02:44 PM
Old 10-15-2008, 01:34 PM   #97
rocks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 417
Great

Great write up.. keep it coming ..
Old 10-15-2008, 10:51 PM   #98
squonker OP
Eat my shorts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocks
Great write up.. keep it coming ..
Thanks, man!

Here's The Chanteuse's bike - what's not to like about this?

Coupla Dawson shots

We spent the next day or two before D2D started checking out town and making friends. There were a handful of bikes in the campground already, but for some reason one particular group kept their bikes covered and wasn't very sociable. Why go to the trouble of planning and executing a trip to a bike gathering, then when you get there keeping your bike covered and being aloof? Each to his own, I guess.

Our particular corner of the campground slowly gathered more and more bikes as folks turned up. Pics of that to come. I called it 'KLR' corner as it pretty much was a whole bunch of KLRs with the odd GS or Ural thrown in. The first night there Dave and I went to supper with a Dutch guy called Sander (username sanderd), who had shipped his bike over to Anchorage, ridden to Prudhoe Bay and was making his way down to the southern tip of the continent. Nice! We invited Sander to camp in our spot, too, and we became part of the core group of friends that were made over those few days. After supper we ended up in the Downtown Hotel with a handful of other early arrivals and we all had such a great time. It was like our own pre-D2D and as a result, when I met anyone from that group the following day it was as if I'd known them for ages. I think we all felt the same way because we all ended up hanging out together for pretty much the entire time.

Some of the early friends:

That's Motomac standing to the left of the pole and Sgt. Marty leaning against it. Sitting down, from L-R are: Mike from Delaware, Spicy McHaggis, Sanderd.

L-R standing: Motomac, The Chanteuse, Sgt. Marty.
Near to far sitting: Homeontherange, Sanderd, Spicy, Mike, JuneauDave, Kevin from L.A., and I can't remember the name of the guy on the end. Sorry, guy on the end!

More Dawson shots

Up next, the D2D in all its glory!!

Old 10-15-2008, 10:58 PM   #99
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 98,395
I've been dreaming of riding to Alaska again someday. Following your great report here.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 07:22 AM   #100
the Chanteuse
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Great RR Sqonker!! (Skanky) My bike is BMW Red not orange!
"the guy on the end" was also named Dave and he was from Juneau too. I think he was a fireman or paramedic.

I was going to post my wipeout pix from this trip for you, but I havent quite figured out how to get it on here...you know me, I just learned how to "Reply to All"!!
the Chanteuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 08:05 AM   #101
squonker OP
Eat my shorts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay
I've been dreaming of riding to Alaska again someday. Following your great report here.
Thanks bud!

Old 10-16-2008, 08:22 AM   #102
squonker OP
Eat my shorts

D2d

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Chanteuse
Great RR Sqonker!! (Skanky) My bike is BMW Red not orange!
"the guy on the end" was also named Dave and he was from Juneau too. I think he was a fireman or paramedic.

I was going to post my wipeout pix from this trip for you, but I havent quite figured out how to get it on here...you know me, I just learned how to "Reply to All"!!
Red, orange....semantics! It's a cool colour whatever it is, and that's why I like it. I'm jealous, even!

Thanks for filling in the missing info re: Dave from Juneau, and as for posting pics, it took me about 30 posts before I could figure it out. You need an account at either Smugmug or Photobucket, then you can link the pics you've uploaded to your account to a post by using the box in the editing tools that looks like a postcard with a pic of some mountains and the sun on it. Make any sense? I thought not. I'd love to see your pics, though....

Here's one from that first night a bunch of us met in the bar at the Downtown Hotel

L-R: Spicy, Homeontherange, The Chanteuse, JuneauDave, Sanderd, Sgt. Marty, Mike from Delaware, myself, Hecktoglider.

I saw this print and wanted to buy it for a friend who would have loved it, but it wasn't for sale. She had to settle for a photo of it instead.

On The Day That The Festivities Began, a lot of folks had their bikes parked outside the Downtown Hotel pretty early in the morning. Keeners! They had the best spots which wouldn't really matter but we saw a great opportunity to userp them. At noon that day there was a Poker Run which they all went on, so we waited until they'd ridden out of sight then brought our bikes down and stole their spots.

That night things began with a dinner at the Palace Hotel Ballroom, or the Grand Theatre or the Great Hall or something. We got to meet a few other peeps and there were prizes given away. Our very own Motomac won a prize for having ridden such a long freaking way to get there. I have a photo of it somewhere...guess it's coming up later.

Someone had picked up a copy of the local paper and there was a pic of the High School valedictorian, who looked very much like The Chanteuse. We were all so proud of her. The smarty pants! Just in case you can't see her in this pic, I asked Sgt. Marty to point her out for us

A random shot of Spicy and I

Here's some D2D bikes parked on the main drag

And this is 'Campground Claire' who worked at the GoldRush Campground and brightened the place up not only with her personality, but her figure as well! Anyone who read Spicy's 'Girls Of Dawson' thread will be familiar with her already.

Old 10-16-2008, 08:38 AM   #103
motomac
Mac

Oddometer: 455
Still have the container of Monkey Butt Powder they gave me for the reward. Really don't want to get into the way that was figured out.
'13 Gold Wing 19,670 miles
motomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 11:32 AM   #104
Advdave
Toolbox Adventurer

Oddometer: 374
Great report Great people....

Squonker,

Looks like fun all over again. This is just the first of our trips, we'll do more. Nice job on the RR and I love the pics...

Dave
Old 10-16-2008, 12:22 PM   #105
squonker OP
Eat my shorts

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomac
Still have the container of Monkey Butt Powder they gave me for the reward. Really don't want to get into the way that was figured out.
I did a little digging...this ring any bells??!!