ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2014, 09:44 AM   #17221
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 100,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTaM View Post
What was your beef with Dairyland? I've been happy with them thus far
They had an internal procedure of three-bike-maximum per policy and Minnesota has a $100 minimum for new policies. So to insure the fourth bike, they wanted $100, instead of just changing their internal procedure. So I switched to a company with better internal procedures.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 09:46 AM   #17222
Anokan
Custom User Title

Oddometer: 414
Quote:
Originally Posted by propforward View Post
There must be, surely. Let's find it!
I would feel not guilt in enjoying some PIE! after a good work-out on single tracks in the Summer. I should go dig around for my camel-bak.

Lazy Bear Grill?

http://www.lazygrills.com/
Anokan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 09:50 AM   #17223
ajayhawkfan
Rock Chalk

Oddometer: 4,384
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.T. View Post
Really getting in the mood to just take off for a week or more on the bike.

Anyone go down to Arkansas? Hwy 7 down south of Harrison is supposed to be pretty cool. Some sportbike guys I know go down there all the time.

I got 2 days vacation coming up...
Quote:
Originally Posted by justrider View Post
I have been going to Arkansas for the last four years. Hwy 7 is loaded with cops. I ride out of Eureka springs hotels are cheap 30-50 $. Hwy 123 is outstanding so is Hwy 23. Hwy 103 south of Osage is also a treat. There is a great lunch joint in Mount Judea. If you have limited experience with switch backs take your time go slow. This is some of the best riding in the USA.
I get to Arkansas Regularly. Motels in Eureka Springs run the gamunt in price. Generally speaking the further you are from downtown the lower the price. That does not necessarily mean lower quality or dirty. Ride to town and spend a few minutes checking out the motels. If they are not busy you can negotiate a rate.

The Hillbilly Dual Sport Ride has headquarter out of the Travelers Inn, 2044 E Van Buren (hyway 62) Eureka Springs Arkansas, 479 363 6664 or If no answer call 478 253 5600 this # is another motel they own. They are reasonably priced, did a major remodeling job they off season, they have a nice (or at lease they use to) fire pit and are use to catering to motorcycles.

Personally, when I go off season or during the week I call downtown hotels and try to negotiate a reasonable rate. I like being downtown so walk to any restaurant or bar. If I can't get a downtown hotel I call Best Western Inn of the Ozarks. It is not downtown but still close enough to walk. It is more expensive then further out but, as I said, I like walking to the downtown places.

If you like history I highly recommend going to the Pea Ridge National Battlefield. http://www.nps.gov/peri/index.htm It is an extremely important battle in the War Of Northern Aggression that most people know little about because it is in the West. The battlefield is less than 30 miles from Eureka Springs.

I'm not sure what bike you ride but there are some great dual sport routes all over the area. You can't go wrong on any of them even if you hit a dead end. The road looks different coming out.

Texas Hill Country Badlands and Black Hills Riding the T.W.A.T Photos
ajayhawkfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 10:00 AM   #17224
Nick Minneeesotin
Kawi Rider

Oddometer: 368
^^ Thanks for all the info and pictures!

I can make it there in 10 hours 5 mins (675 mi)

How I wish I could just get up and go
Nick Minneeesotin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 10:16 AM   #17225
GEARHEAD9969
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 281
Quote:
There must be, surely. Let's find it!
Fook n A right! Pie would be a great breakfast and a brilliant celebration to end a fine day of trail riding!
Old 05-08-2014, 10:20 AM   #17226
Spikehead
Two-Bit Throttle Bum

Oddometer: 6,234
Quote:

Or possibly putting frosting on cakes.
Get on it.

"I was tempted by the Invisible Man, I surely was." -Propforward
Spikehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 10:21 AM   #17227
ajayhawkfan
Rock Chalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Minneeesotin View Post
^^ Thanks for all the info and pictures!

I can make it there in 10 hours 5 mins (675 mi)

How I wish I could just get up and go
If you heart is not set on Arkansas you might consider the area along the Mississippi in the area between the Mississippi River and Illinois River from Louisiana, MO to Grafton, IL. If you leave early you can be in the area in the afternoon. There is plenty of riding of all kinds for two day. Weave back and forth between the two rivers. I lead a Bald Eagle Ride to the area most every year. Here is a link to my pictures from last year. https://picasaweb.google.com/ajayhaw...81027229071906 I believe it is an overlooked riding are.

Old 05-08-2014, 10:41 AM   #17228
TTaM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay View Post
They had an internal procedure of three-bike-maximum per policy and Minnesota has a $100 minimum for new policies. So to insure the fourth bike, they wanted $100, instead of just changing their internal procedure. So I switched to a company with better internal procedures.
Ah, I see. I've never had more than 3 bikes insured with them at once, so I've never run into that issue.
TTaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 08:06 PM   #17229
propforward
Mime Hurler

Oddometer: 12,429
Twin Cities Area Campfire BS Thread

Tested my rain gear tonight.

Good results!

Rain-off overgloves are my new favourite thing. Way better than the Aerostich ones. They have more room, are easier to put on, and are actually waterproof. Not cheap, but they are fabbo.

Www.rain-off.com

You can get them from www.farklemasters.com

For maximum effect you still need to put the overglove UNDER the jacket sleeve, which can be fiddly.

Darien jacket and pants plus combat touring boots kept the rest of me completely dry in a pretty heavy downpour.

Best gear I have owned. The most expensive too, but there it is.

Carry on.

Indiana Jones wears one.
propforward is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 08:27 PM   #17230
Ride_There
Will ride for bacon.

Oddometer: 3,105
Prop, thanks for the info on the gloves. I would be interested in seeing those in person. I will ask you if you have them next time I see you.

The stitch gear sure is nice. It's great to arrive dry even in a heavy downpour.
Ride_There is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 08:40 PM   #17231
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 100,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayhawkfan View Post
If you heart is not set on Arkansas you might consider the area along the Mississippi in the area between the Mississippi River and Illinois River from Louisiana, MO to Grafton, IL. If you leave early you can be in the area in the afternoon. There is plenty of riding of all kinds for two day. Weave back and forth between the two rivers. I lead a Bald Eagle Ride to the area most every year. Here is a link to my pictures from last year. https://picasaweb.google.com/ajayhaw...81027229071906 I believe it is an overlooked riding are.

I've been down through there. Great country. We took our bikes across the river on the Brussels Ferry.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 08:57 PM   #17232
Vato Jinete
Feo del Norte

Oddometer: 519
Last week when rode down here to Texas the first day and a half were continuous rain. My new Darien Light jacket and Klim pants did not leak at all.
Sweeeet.

The combo has been very comfortable at 85 to 90 degrees.
Old 05-08-2014, 08:59 PM   #17233
ajayhawkfan
Rock Chalk

Quote:
Tested my rain gear tonight.

Good results!

Rain-off overgloves are my new favourite thing. Way better than the Aerostich ones. They have more room, are easier to put on, and are actually waterproof. Not cheap, but they are fabbo.

Www.rain-off.com

You can get them from www.farklemasters.com

For maximum effect you still need to put the overglove UNDER the jacket sleeve, which can be fiddly.

Darien jacket and pants plus combat touring boots kept the rest of me completely dry in a pretty heavy downpour.

Best gear I have owned. The most expensive too, but there it is.

Carry on.
I'm very interested in seeing those gloves as well. What size did you get?

Old 05-09-2014, 04:05 AM   #17234
propforward
Mime Hurler

I got the biggest size. I wear 3xl gloves, and these easily slip over. Nice and roomy. This is one major failing of the Stich version - they don't make a big enough set for me. Otherwise the stich overgloves are OK. These rain-offs are still better though.

Indiana Jones wears one.
Old 05-09-2014, 04:07 AM   #17235
propforward
Mime Hurler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ride_There View Post
Prop, thanks for the info on the gloves. I would be interested in seeing those in person. I will ask you if you have them next time I see you.

I usually have them about my person. They come with a nice pouch to keep them bundled up nicely in ones pocket.

Indiana Jones wears one.