ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2012, 09:18 AM   #6751
judjonzz
Beastly

Oddometer: 1,998
Before there was Thermarest, there was the trusty closed-cell foam. It's a little bulky compared to the standard Thermarest, but it can't leak, and if you get tired of it you can cut it up and kneel on it in the garden or make a stiff layer of foam or two for your motorcycle seat (put it under the seat cover, or just duct tape it on top).

I have been seeing a lot of inflatable mattresses in recent years, the ones that come with their own inflator pump that runs off your battery. Seems to me like a lot of trouble just to sleep in a tent.

I'm sticking with Thermarest. I have patched a couple of them, but yeah, they seem keep developing slow leaks. I have had the most success with the backpacking model that rolls up about as big as a football. And remember, you really only need the mattress to fall asleep; it doesn't matter that much if it goes flat somewhere toward morning. As Ben Franklin might have said, "whisky is the best mattress".
Old 09-10-2012, 09:27 AM   #6752
propforward
Mime Hurler

Oddometer: 12,475
True dat. I have a foam pad - had it for years. The thermarest kicks butt though, and is easy to set up. Maybe I just got unlucky with the puncture. Or maybe I'm just too fat for it. But the thermarest is amazingly comfy, sure enough.

Indiana Jones wears one.
propforward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:26 AM   #6753
Metallic Waste
Wearing the Cone Of Shame

Oddometer: 3,956
My back will no longer tolerate a Thermarest. For the last few years, I'd been using regular air mattresses with great success. A little more effort to inflate and deflate, but very comfy. While one of these is great if I'm on one of my BMWs, they do not work so well for my smaller Dual Sports--less space to haul things and the KLR-lite was lacking any type of power outlet for the air pump.

A couple of seasons ago, at the annual BMWMOCM kamping seminar, I discovered this Exped. I bought it that very night and LOVE it. It packs small, plus I get to practice my CPR reps every time that I inflate it.

Don't know what weight capacity they're rated at, but definitely worth checking out.
-K

--GSAnderson
Metallic Waste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:30 AM   #6754
propforward
Mime Hurler

I dig that air mattress you linked. I will look into that. I saw this morning that thermarest makes a similar item (not as fancy schmancy, and no integrated pump), and I may well be tempted to try that. They pack amazingly small. Didja buy that at REI?

Indiana Jones wears one.
Old 09-10-2012, 10:31 AM   #6755
Powershouse
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,194
Quote:
Originally Posted by judjonzz View Post
For absolutely first-rate work, there is nobody in town better than Steve Hamel. That kind of quality comes at a price, however.

I have no experience with Blue Cat. They seem to be decent guys.
+1 on Steve Hamel.

Blue Cat? I had some experience with them and was not impressed.
Old 09-10-2012, 10:33 AM   #6756
propforward
Mime Hurler

How do you get in touch with Steve Hamel if you want him to do work? What company does he work for?

Indiana Jones wears one.
Old 09-10-2012, 11:02 AM   #6757
*Gravy*
Jedi Loser

Oddometer: 4,100

I'm pretty sure I need to replace 8 and 9 right?

How about 6? It's the dust seal.

8 and 9 are about $6 a piece and #6 is $22
Old 09-10-2012, 11:07 AM   #6758
propforward
Mime Hurler

Usually it's just number 8. Number 9 is basically a big metal washer to hold the bushing (number 10) down, and you shouldn't need to replace that washer.

The dust seal (number 6) usually doesn't need to be replaced unless its obviously beaten up, and / or cracked. It doesn't seal the oil in, just keeps the worst of the crud out.

If you are rebuilding one fork leg, my advice is you might as well suck it up and do both.

Let me know if I can help in any way.

An air impact wrench can be a handy dandy tool for undoing the screw at the bottom (number 25). If you're lucky you can get it, but sometimes that screw will just spin and spin and won't come out, becuase item 13 just spins with it.

It is because of this that I own an air impact wrench. Sometimes by having the fork mostly assembled the spring will put enough pressure on the damper piston to stop it spinning though, so keep that in mind.

Remember that you can make an inexpensive fork seal driver by using PVC pipe, and using the old seal to protect the new one when pushing in place. Very little force is needed to seat the new seal.

Indiana Jones wears one.

propforward screwed with this post 09-10-2012 at 11:16 AM Reason: Added some wisdom
Old 09-10-2012, 11:09 AM   #6759
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,916
Quote:
Originally Posted by propforward View Post
EDIT: Just found another version of the above cot for "larger" types, capable of supporting (allegedly) 350 pounds. It packs to about the same size as the therma rest. Giving this some serious consideration.
bradatlarge loves his, and will not travel without it. the version for larger folks has extra cross-pieces that you place where the weight is. He still packs a thermarest (for insulation and comfort).

I think that insulation thing is important - nice to be off the ground, but drafty.
Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 11:14 AM   #6760
propforward
Mime Hurler

That makes sense.

I have my camping / touring set up to a reasonable size for the Tiger. It would be OK to allow myself one more dry bag with a couple more items in it (such as the thermarest) for the increased comfort.

Indiana Jones wears one.
Old 09-10-2012, 11:23 AM   #6761
*Gravy*
Jedi Loser

Oddometer: 4,100
Thanks Prop.

Let's get rule 10 violated. Say tonight 6ish? You supply the beer, I'll supply the swearing.

For real though, thanks
Old 09-10-2012, 11:25 AM   #6762
propforward
Mime Hurler

If'n ya want to come over and do it, you are welcome to do so.

Get GB to make us a pie and bring us beer.

Indiana Jones wears one.
Old 09-10-2012, 11:53 AM   #6763
JackJack
Dulce Periculum

Oddometer: 395
+1 on the Exped sleeping pads. The self-inflating pads are a PITA to deflate and roll up, plus they don't compact small enough for my needs. Every self-inflating pad I have loses air. Not sure if it's due to a small leak or through the cold ground causing the little bit of air inside to condense.
I have never had that problem with the Exped Synmat 7. It's fast to deflate, stores the size of a nalgene bottle, and I never feel my shoulder or hip touch the ground. Exped also makes a big comy mat, but not sure the packed dimensions.
The cot looks comfy if you aren't a side sleeper and don't roll around, but air circulation underneath will chill you fast. REI has a lot of pads on display, but no cot.

JackJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 01:16 PM   #6764
Spikehead
Two-Bit Throttle Bum

Oddometer: 6,250
I have no issue with Blue Cat's service quality and I think Ryan is a hell of a mechanic. (Don't know squat about the "new" guy.) However, I do have issue with their service policy which basically says you'll get your bike back when you get it. We'll call you when it's done. Don't call us, we'll call you.

Fuck that.

Also, to the OP, if you're up in the arrowhead, I'd recommend making contact with Jim Ransom out of Duluth. Jim is a old bike guy, has some nice stuff and, I think, farms out the mechanical stuff. Perhaps you can find "his guy" and not have to make such a trip to get your work done.

His name escapes me right now, but there's a guy in Cameron or Chetek, WI who comes highly recommended by some. Not sure if he works on Brit stuff, but I don't know why not. PM inmate Codger for contact details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powershouse View Post
Blue Cat? I had some experience with them and was not impressed.

"I was tempted by the Invisible Man, I surely was." -Propforward
Spikehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 01:22 PM   #6765
propforward
Mime Hurler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikehead View Post
you'll get your bike back when you get it.

Ah. They work on the same bike repair schedule that I do.

Indiana Jones wears one.