ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2012, 05:02 PM   #6871
swann
Just practicing...

Oddometer: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyRider View Post
I'm a motorcycle noobie. I've had a Buddy 125 scooter for a long time. I've owned a few bikes but I didn't put many miles on them because of back problems. I just bought a shiny silver 2008 Honda Rebel 250. I'm having a blast riding it.

Any suggestions on some fun roads to ride. I'm in Minneapolis. My physical limitations mean I can only spend about 2 hours on the bike before the pain way outweighs the pleasure. If I make some stops I might be able to extend that time limit some. Now that I can get out of the city I don't know where to go.

I'm sure someone here will tell me where to go.
I'm sure plenty will tell you where to go! Sorry to hear about your back problems. You'll probably want to stick to nicely paved roads. Glad to hear about your Rebel - I'm sure it's a gorgeous bike! I don't really know about any fun roads. Are you looking for twisty roads? How about pretty places? I'm sure there are lots of nice water destinations. If you can ride to St. Cloud from Minneapolis, I'd highly recommend Munsinger Gardens, http://www.munsingerclemens.com/. It's a large outdoor garden/flower area that's free to visit. They used to have peacocks with nice plumage but I don't know if they are there anymore. The lower part is by the river and there are benches to relax on, and I remember a wishing well and lots of meandering paths. Very peaceful.
swann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 05:07 PM   #6872
swann
Just practicing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by propforward View Post
Which one? The one I went looking for them in didn't have any.
I'm curious too. I'd like to get some straps because I will undoubtedly want to attach things to the bike. Rok/nylon/whatever!

PS Any recommended attachments straps for an unruly seven year old boy? Just kidding! I wouldn't trust him on a bike since he doesn't hold on consistently even on the four wheeler. Side car only for him. Wonder if I could get a sidecar for the Rebel?
Old 09-14-2012, 05:20 PM   #6873
Redbeard 73
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Good trip

Well... back from my vacation.

Rode over to Detroit to work on the house I'm trying to sell, so I didn't get to ride through thunder bay.

Met my buddy in Mackinaw, up through the sault, into NY at cornwall, then down through the aderondeks to Gettysburg PA.

Made fun of the south, and then developed some bike woes (stupid confederate ghosts).

All cleared up, but missed montecello

Made the Horizons Unlimited Rally in NC though. AWESOME stories of adventure travel and bikes.

Then hit Wheels Through Time museum (a must go if you're near Maggie Valley, NC (also near the tail of the dragon)).

Then from Charlotte, NC through Detroit, Chicago, Milwaukee, and finally St Louis Park.

Got bumped from behind by a semi while sitting at a red light in Chicago... supper lucky that I happened to keep it in gear (I'm 50/50 on that), and just by chance glanced at my mirror.... grabbed a HUGE handfull of throttle and wouldn't have gotten hit at all if I could have launched a split second earlier!

Then it was hard on the brakes to avoid running the light (which was still red), and when I looked back, that SOB was still rolling towards me... I don't think he ever saw me or knew I was there!!! No damage to the bike so I got the heck outta there before he could hit me again!

good trip overall... just remember gear and mirror when at a red light!
Redbeard 73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 05:31 PM   #6874
Metallic Waste
Wearing the Cone Of Shame

Oddometer: 3,954
Looking for something to do tomorrow?

From Diamonds Koffe Shoppe:

It's Vintage Japanese Bike Day!

Do you have an old RD300? Or an old Water Buffalo? Bring it down to Diamonds tomorrow, 9/15 for our Vintage Japanese Day. Even if you don't have a bike that fits the profile, come and gawk - there's sure to be lots of cool bikes to see!
People's Choice Award presented at 10:00 am, so get there early!
-K

--GSAnderson
Metallic Waste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 05:33 PM   #6875
Metallic Waste
Wearing the Cone Of Shame

Oddometer: 3,954
Quote:
They're in the camping section.
-K

--GSAnderson
Metallic Waste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 05:34 PM   #6876
JackJack
Dulce Periculum

Oddometer: 395
Any suggestions on who one might want to deal with if they are looking at a used Bonnie at motoprimo? It's listed way beyond NADA values and I am not looking to bend over.

PM is ok if you don't want to name names in public.

JackJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 05:58 PM   #6877
Spikehead
Two-Bit Throttle Bum

Oddometer: 6,248
Brooklyn Park has 'em. They're usually on an end cap near the rope-n-stuff.

Quote:

"I was tempted by the Invisible Man, I surely was." -Propforward
Spikehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 05:59 PM   #6878
GSAnderson
Wandering Swede

Oddometer: 2,550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powershouse View Post
...may it bring him as many smiles as it brought me!
It cleaned up real good. Larger front brake disc gave it away.
GSAnderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 06:02 PM   #6879
Spikehead
Two-Bit Throttle Bum

Oddometer: 6,248
fixt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallic Waste View Post
They're in the kamping section.
-K

"I was tempted by the Invisible Man, I surely was." -Propforward
Spikehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 06:10 PM   #6880
HBL
Adventurer

Oddometer: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbeard 73 View Post
... Just remember gear and mirror when at a red light!
p229
HBL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 06:41 PM   #6881
judjonzz
Beastly

Oddometer: 1,998
Quote:
Originally Posted by swann View Post
I'm curious too. I'd like to get some straps because I will undoubtedly want to attach things to the bike. Rok/nylon/whatever!

PS Any recommended attachments straps for an unruly seven year old boy? Just kidding! I wouldn't trust him on a bike since he doesn't hold on consistently even on the four wheeler. Side car only for him. Wonder if I could get a sidecar for the Rebel?
I used to bungee my 6-year old son to my body because he was likely to fall asleep just as I was trying to thrash WI95 from Fountain City to Arcadia. Today I would use Rok straps. Klay points out correctly that you don't need them. The most secure that I have found are the ones that use a double D-ring, ala Helen Twowheels. But because they are stretchy, it is more convenient to tie a load down with Rok straps. It's not as if they are expensive, unless you buy them from Aerostich.

You might want to try some gravel-friendly tires for that Rebel. You don't really need them on anything that can be called a road, but you might feel more secure on loose surfaces, and eventually be able to push a bit.

A buddy uses a 200 Twin Star. He lives in the coulees of Lost Creek/Rush River and runs some no-name IRC clones; the bike takes him anywhere. If you really want to see some nice roads, get down into Pierce/Pepin/Buffalo/Trempeleau counties, all within a day's round trip from the Cities. Wisconsin paves more of their little roads (to get dairy products to market), and still has a lot of really nice unpaved stuff.

Minnesota has a lot of nice stuff along the Mississippi, but often as not, a road that looks promising will spit you out on some straight prairie road that runs straight for miles at a time. In Sconny, the roads that look promising will more often take you from one cool place to another, and then another.
Old 09-14-2012, 06:48 PM   #6882
propforward
Mime Hurler

Oddometer: 12,464
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallic Waste View Post
They're in the camping section.
-K
Not in the one I went in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikehead View Post
Brooklyn Park has 'em. They're usually on an end cap near the rope-n-stuff.
I'll try that one.

Indiana Jones wears one.
propforward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 07:03 PM   #6883
swann
Just practicing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeard 73 View Post
Well... back from my vacation.

Rode over to Detroit to work on the house I'm trying to sell, so I didn't get to ride through thunder bay.

Met my buddy in Mackinaw, up through the sault, into NY at cornwall, then down through the aderondeks to Gettysburg PA.

Made fun of the south, and then developed some bike woes (stupid confederate ghosts).

All cleared up, but missed montecello

Made the Horizons Unlimited Rally in NC though. AWESOME stories of adventure travel and bikes.

Then hit Wheels Through Time museum (a must go if you're near Maggie Valley, NC (also near the tail of the dragon)).

Then from Charlotte, NC through Detroit, Chicago, Milwaukee, and finally St Louis Park.

Got bumped from behind by a semi while sitting at a red light in Chicago... supper lucky that I happened to keep it in gear (I'm 50/50 on that), and just by chance glanced at my mirror.... grabbed a HUGE handfull of throttle and wouldn't have gotten hit at all if I could have launched a split second earlier!

Then it was hard on the brakes to avoid running the light (which was still red), and when I looked back, that SOB was still rolling towards me... I don't think he ever saw me or knew I was there!!! No damage to the bike so I got the heck outta there before he could hit me again!

good trip overall... just remember gear and mirror when at a red light!
Scary! Can't believe he didn't see you! Glad you got out of there and didn't get hurt.
Old 09-14-2012, 07:19 PM   #6884
swann
Just practicing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by judjonzz View Post
I used to bungee my 6-year old son to my body because he was likely to fall asleep just as I was trying to thrash WI95 from Fountain City to Arcadia. Today I would use Rok straps. Klay points out correctly that you don't need them. The most secure that I have found are the ones that use a double D-ring, ala Helen Twowheels. But because they are stretchy, it is more convenient to tie a load down with Rok straps. It's not as if they are expensive, unless you buy them from Aerostich.

You might want to try some gravel-friendly tires for that Rebel. You don't really need them on anything that can be called a road, but you might feel more secure on loose surfaces, and eventually be able to push a bit.

A buddy uses a 200 Twin Star. He lives in the coulees of Lost Creek/Rush River and runs some no-name IRC clones; the bike takes him anywhere. If you really want to see some nice roads, get down into Pierce/Pepin/Buffalo/Trempeleau counties, all within a day's round trip from the Cities. Wisconsin paves more of their little roads (to get dairy products to market), and still has a lot of really nice unpaved stuff.

Minnesota has a lot of nice stuff along the Mississippi, but often as not, a road that looks promising will spit you out on some straight prairie road that runs straight for miles at a time. In Sconny, the roads that look promising will more often take you from one cool place to another, and then another.
I think hubby might leave me if I get any accessories for the Rebel! Though I might not have a choice since Hitching Post can't refund the money I paid to rent a Rebel next week (that was before hubby said yes to this Rebel), so I have maybe 2/3 of what I paid to spend in the store. I'll probably get bags and maybe a windshield and some straps. I've got a back pack but I'm not sure I should be wearing it over the airbag vest and I want some storage on the bike for my license and insurance, etc.

First time on gravel tonight: I did end up going over some gravel (maybe 5 feet of it, very bumpy) driving around our neighborhood a few minutes ago. A house is being built and they dragged some gravel across the pavement. Surprise! It wasn't probably much more than six inches deep on the road, so I just stayed steady on the gas and bumped through it.

First time with a passenger tonight as well: I dressed up my daughter in all my gear except my airbag vest and very slowly took her around the block (not where the gravel was though). The bike kept killing in second gear when she was on the back. Combined, we are well under the weight limit. I thought I gave it enough time to warm up.

Thanks for the destination suggestions! I'll explore them when I get to have a day off.
Old 09-14-2012, 08:46 PM   #6885
propforward
Mime Hurler

Oddometer: 12,464
More throttle.

You're getting the hang of it. Keep it up.

Indiana Jones wears one.
propforward is offline   Reply With Quote