ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-2012, 10:44 AM   #7456
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,916
PM Get_Bent

Pretty much anything will run office and quickbooks. Software compatibility will depend more on the on operating system - you guys still running XP? 32 bit or 64?

Gateway skeers me.
Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 11:04 AM   #7457
propforward
Mime Hurler

Oddometer: 12,467
Don't get the gateway, get a dell. A cheapy dell will do everything you need there with no problems whatsoever. That one you list is well up to it.

Check your versions of office and quickbooks, the interwebs will be able to tell you if they are compatible with windows 7, but I'd be amazed if they weren't.

A quick check shows that Office XP, 2003, 2007 and 2010 is compatible with windows 7.

Quickbooks 2010 onwards is compatible with windows 7. Older quickbooks is most likely compatible back to 2007, but Intuit don't guarantee it.

Indiana Jones wears one.

propforward screwed with this post 10-29-2012 at 11:28 AM Reason: Speling
propforward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 11:46 AM   #7458
JackJack
Dulce Periculum

Oddometer: 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfc View Post
Our Company needs a new office computer, the boss is about to go to Office Max and buy a Gateway.....

I have very little knowledge on PC's does a 4gb dell 620 seem like a good fit? We run office and Quickbooks and little else. Can I transfer all our software over or do I have to buy new stuff?
I second Prop in getting a Dell over a Gateway. Gateway is made by Acer and their customer service is absolutely non-existent.
Windows 7 is a decent OS and can run your older software under a shell of XP if you have compatability issues with 7. I do that for my ancient version of Photoshop and it works quite well.
4gb of RAM should be just fine.

JackJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 12:00 PM   #7459
Powershouse
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,194
Aliens!

We've been getting Alienware computers of late. We use them for systems running GIS software. A lot more bang-for-the-buck than Dells, but when you get done spec-ing the Alienware computer the site sends you to Dell to complete the transaction - I guess they're a Dell subsidiary now.

By the way, if you know someone looking for a GIS job send them my way.
Old 10-29-2012, 12:42 PM   #7460
dfc
Reluctant Cannonball

Oddometer: 2,755
Thanks for the replies, I think we will go with this unit. My problem will be getting the programs on the new computer, I am sure we have no install discs for the software(do thay even have discs anymore?) I think MS is pretty tricky, and they want you to buy again for a new computer, I am not sure with QB, and as I said, I have no experience with PC's.
dfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 12:51 PM   #7461
propforward
Mime Hurler

If you don't have the install discs then I think you're pretty much stuck with buying new software. Looks like both can be had for $150 to $175 each, check the google for deals. I got MS Office 2007 via overstock.com as I recall.

I dunno, hunert and fiddy bucks here, a hunert and fiddy bucks there, pretty soon yer talking about spending real money.

EDIT: This discount mountain software has a high googly rating and good prices. As low a price as I have seen that software anywhere. They have quickbooks for about a hundred and fifty.

MS Office for a hunert and seventy five

Indiana Jones wears one.

propforward screwed with this post 10-29-2012 at 01:02 PM
Old 10-29-2012, 02:28 PM   #7462
JackJack
Dulce Periculum

Quote:
Thanks for the replies, I think we will go with this unit. My problem will be getting the programs on the new computer, I am sure we have no install discs for the software(do thay even have discs anymore?) I think MS is pretty tricky, and they want you to buy again for a new computer, I am not sure with QB, and as I said, I have no experience with PC's.
Not sure why you need a new pc, but if you weren't having problems with the hard drive or viruses, I would take the hard drive in and have it installed in the new pc. Then you don't have to bother with re-installs. And your interface would be exactly the same as before.

Old 10-29-2012, 02:34 PM   #7463
propforward
Mime Hurler

Then you would inherit all the issues and conflicts that were already in existence on the old PC.

Also, doesn't always work. I tried it a couple times, and windows is not nearly plug n' play enough to take an old hard drive and expect it to boot up a new computer. The completely different hardware configuration gives it conniptions.

Better to start from fresh. But that is merely my opinion, and of no value. Windows up through XP always benefitted from an occasional (not occassional enough) complete re install of OS and software. This worked wonders on my old 2003 PC recently - new lease of life.

Windows 7 is allegedly a lot more stable and doesn't require the same amount of re installs. Certainly my work computer has been well behaved.

Indiana Jones wears one.
Old 10-29-2012, 02:41 PM   #7464
JackJack
Dulce Periculum

Quote:
Originally Posted by propforward View Post
Then you would inherit all the issues and conflicts that were already in existence on the old PC.

Also, doesn't always work. I tried it a couple times, and windows is not nearly plug n' play enough to take an old hard drive and expect it to boot up a new computer. The completely different hardware configuration gives it conniptions.

Better to start from fresh. But that is merely my opinion, and of no value. Windows up through XP always benefitted from an occasional (not occassional enough) complete re install of OS and software. This worked wonders on my old 2003 PC recently - new lease of life.

Windows 7 is allegedly a lot more stable and doesn't require the same amount of re installs. Certainly my work computer has been well behaved.

I have had success with it, but I would recommend taking it in to a professional so all the BIOS settings and drivers get updated correctly. That is the biggest pitfall with trading out hard drives.

Old 10-29-2012, 02:43 PM   #7465
propforward
Mime Hurler

Hmm. Too much arseing around for me.

Indiana Jones wears one.
Old 10-29-2012, 03:02 PM   #7466
JackJack
Dulce Periculum

Quote:
Hmm. Too much arseing around for me.
Too much for me, too, but I insisted on learning the hard way.

Old 10-29-2012, 03:07 PM   #7467
propforward
Mime Hurler

This is why we need a facepalm smiley.

Indiana Jones wears one.
Old 10-29-2012, 06:33 PM   #7468
JackJack
Dulce Periculum

Quote:
This is why we need a facepalm smiley.
You will really want that face palm smiley when I say I work in IT and would still rather pay someone to do it.

Seriously, I would rather take it on myself than have to change my work pc over to Windows 7 and re-load or purchase redundant software. I am quite thrifty and adverse to change though so...

Old 10-29-2012, 07:06 PM   #7469
dfc
Reluctant Cannonball

Oddometer: 2,755
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackJack View Post
Not sure why you need a new pc, but if you weren't having problems with the hard drive or viruses, I would take the hard drive in and have it installed in the new pc. Then you don't have to bother with re-installs. And your interface would be exactly the same as before.
I aint Krevin, but there is a story....

The computer started as a low end Dell, first it had power supply issues, then the motherboard went and the HD was installed in a new chassis with the new motherboard, then I am not sure what happened when we switched IT guys that were moonlighting from their day jobs but the machine was tweaked for some reason and now it randomly restarts and often gives a message about being in an infinite loop....

and the last IT guy we had is too busy with his day job to come back again, probably a good thing

So I think its time to start fresh, like Stu's shirts

And BTW, its running XP, so we will be switching to 7....whoopeee
dfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 07:10 PM   #7470
pineconeMN
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 867
Quote:
And BTW, its running XP, so we will be switching to 7....whoopeee
Good move, IMO
pineconeMN is offline   Reply With Quote