ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-26-2012, 07:53 PM   #8341
Metallic Waste
Wearing the Cone Of Shame

Oddometer: 3,915
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Gravy* View Post
Pick up the pace slacker. You've been here 5 more years than me I've got 800 more posts than you.

-K

--GSAnderson
Metallic Waste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 03:54 AM   #8342
playharder
Just a rider

Oddometer: 63
Kustokizingkid,

Most people (including law enforcement) do not even notice the studs. Every member of law enforcement I have spoken with regarding them (even after showing them the studs on my bike) have no problems with me using them.

John
Old 12-27-2012, 04:53 AM   #8343
judjonzz
Beastly

Oddometer: 1,998
Quote:
Originally Posted by HBL View Post

Now, how in the H$LL do I get these 606's mounted with 6" spoons the video makes it look so easy ....
Marty Mataya used to charge 10 bucks to change a tire; may still do so. It's a bit of a drive for me, and not worth the gas.

D606s are some of the easiest tires I have mounted. I use MP T6 spoons*, but the 6" levers will work fine. I mostly like the spoons because they help me avoid pinching the tube, and you can use them to break the bead.

Breaking the bead is a whole subject in itself. Whichever method you use, a little bit of WD40 helps the tire move on the rim.

Clean the rim with Scotchbrite before you mount the tire. It's probably goobered up from the Ru-Glide the last tire guy used. The crusty residue makes it harder to break the bead, and to re-seat it.

Remember the bead. You can use a Bead Buddy* if you are having trouble holding the bead down in the drop center of the rim. This goes for removing and re-mounting the tire.

Lube with talc for remounting, tube and bead both. Use liberally. You are probably gonna make a mess, especially if it's humid, but the last one I did this fall, I didn't even have to change my pants.

Have a stem snake handy. Mine is mostly there for karmic prophylaxis, as I have pretty good luck popping the stem through the hole, but it is still nice to have for those days when nothing goes right.

* Check out the Motion Pro Tire Tools section for lots of stuff to ease the task.
Old 12-27-2012, 05:46 AM   #8344
propforward
Caught in the act

Oddometer: 12,153
Quote:
Originally Posted by judjonzz View Post

D606s are some of the easiest tires I have mounted.

There you have it. I only did one set, and they were a bastard. It was one of those days, and nothing went right.

A fairly normal day, in fact.

Good tyres though.
Old 12-27-2012, 06:48 AM   #8345
*Gravy*
Jedi Loser

Oddometer: 4,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay View Post
Few years back I started a thread about post count shit.

One of the mods set my odd-o-meter to 350,000 or some such thing. The next m&g I went to I got a load of shit from a couple people. Funny stuff.
Old 12-27-2012, 07:22 AM   #8346
Metallic Waste
Wearing the Cone Of Shame

Oddometer: 3,915
Most important rule to breaking a bead: always have a Gus handy. They may annoy you at times, but they're great for popping the bead off the rim. I used one when I switched from a TKC to a T63 on the F650. Just make sure you have beer.

For the record, Kevin's generally don't work as well for breaking beads.

-K

--GSAnderson
Metallic Waste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 07:28 AM   #8347
propforward
Caught in the act

Shit.

Bead breaking fail.

Neduros tyre changing class is a really good thread for learning how to do tyre changes. Also the one I wrote. But I basically learned it from Neduro anyway.
Old 12-27-2012, 07:29 AM   #8348
HBL
Adventurer

Oddometer: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by judjonzz View Post
* Check out the Motion Pro Tire Tools section for lots of stuff to ease the task.
Thanks Judd. I have the tools you mentioned, but missing the skills. Even have similar MP's which are in fact 10" long, not six - dang, they felt like 3"

Mmmm, I think I just figured out how to learn without destorying rims/tubes and without the inevitable crash course in the woods... I'll bring a wheel/tire to Streeter's tech day this spring and get some schoolinig from a more experienced crowd
HBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 07:36 AM   #8349
propforward
Caught in the act

That is a smart move.

propforward screwed with this post 12-27-2012 at 07:52 AM
propforward is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 07:52 AM   #8350
*Gravy*
Jedi Loser

Oddometer: 4,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by propforward View Post
Neduros tyre changing class is a really good thread for learning how to do tyre changes. Also the one I wrote. But I basically learned it from Neduro anyway.
Other than the egregious spelling errors this is a very wise post.

If I weren't so dang lazy I'd provide links.

Edit:
Here you go; Ned's thread
Old 12-27-2012, 07:57 AM   #8351
propforward
Caught in the act

Tyre.
Old 12-27-2012, 08:01 AM   #8352
safetybob
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 739
WOW,
I have been gone for a few days and it will take me a while to catch up.

(sorry no time to spell check and the work computer will not let me download the checker)

Scott,
What prop said is good. What I did and still am doing, FIRST, find something anything that works for you. I was morbidly obease and then some. So I kind of went at it from all angles. I am not necessearly saying this is a good aproach for everyone.

Workout 5 times a week, now this meant for me int he begining, walk on the treadmill for 15 minutes setting goals to up the time and incline watching the calories burned, not exact but it was at least an idea and a goal to push myself further etc. it was slow ever few days (5-7) I owuld up the precentage either time or speed by 5-10% until I was actually able to fit on the bicycle trainer again and did the same function using spinervalls DVD's, and swam using the same thing, time distance up the anti every week or so. That is pretty much all I did for workouts. I would recomend getting a heart rate monitor you can get a cheap one, your not doing surgery jsut to give you an idea of how hard your heart is working. Take you age minus 220 and that is your max, take 95% and that is zone 5, 90% of that orginal number and that is zone 4, take 80% of that orginal number and that is zone 3, take 70% of the orginal number and that is zone 2. You will want to focus on zone two. THis will feel strange like your not working out. If you hit the zone 3 reduce your speed or incline or slow down in the bike swim etc. Stay in zone 2 for at least 2 months, jsut go longer not harder, you are building a base, at the end of the second month start adding a few "speed" workouts in zone 3,4,5. but only like 25%.

No as for food. Again I was in bad shape and needed to really focus on yes dieting. not fun, but it gets better, the basics, a vitamin any multi will do, can't hurt. 8-10 10 oz glasses of water throughtout the day, breakfast one egg one piece of fruit, and one piece of diet bread and some green pepper or any green vegie cut up in the egg and 8 ox of skim milk, lunch one vegie (green) no carbs like corn grain type vegies no, meat 4-6 oz of fish or chicken / turkey breastanother piece of fruit, an a starch ak mak crakcer or diet bread, dinner, same as lunch but double up on the vegie, 3 x a week you can do beef. and each day a high protien snack bar any will do. in cooking use morten light salt 1/4 to 1/2 table spoon and 1/2 to 3/4 olive oil every day.

I found I make 7-12 meals up on Sunday's put them in conatiners some go int he fridge and some int he freezor. I grab one on the way out int he am, the cooking egg takes as long as a pice of toast takes to cook 1 -2 min and breakfast is done. DO NOT SKIP BREAKFAST, it starts your metabolism.

No soda no beer, no wine, nothing else. Yes it kinda sucks, once every two weeks I would give myself a free meal no guilt eat what ever I wanted, and it was a lot and desert and what ever else, but only once every 2 weeks. 12 months later I am in much better condition, I still have a way to go the last 6 weks I have slacked but not gained jsut have not focused. actually started back up a few days ago.

Good luck in what ever you decide. it really is not about hte perfect plan its about the consistancy fo the overall making the right choices, non processed real foods helps, not saying you have to do organic, but nothign out of a box basically.

Again good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott in Shoreview View Post
Bob,
This is actually a real question....

So what did you do to eat better at lunch? That's where I stumble. Little if zero time to make stuff in the a.m. and not much for options outside of the building that don't involve incredibly large cups of soda or clowns.

Scott in Shoreview
'79 Suzuki GS550
safetybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:04 AM   #8353
propforward
Caught in the act

Quote:
Originally Posted by safetybob View Post
no beer, no wine,

My main downfalls right there.

And the Delta Diner, obviously.
Old 12-27-2012, 08:13 AM   #8354
safetybob
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 739
I had them on the BMW worked well but you could hear me coming. NEver got pulled over, but i was told I would get a ticket. But never did......

Quote:
Originally Posted by KustomizingKid View Post
So what do you think a cop would actually do if they caught me running a few small tungsten carbide tire studs?
safetybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:38 AM   #8355
FirstPath
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,125
Bob,
Thanks for the reply. I'm fairly active with kung fu a few times a week and walking dogs everyday but I've noticed my size creeping up on me. I'll have to make the time to do some premade lunches as to avoid running across the street for something quick.

I also want to increase my cardio and Kung Fu hasn't been doing enough of that lately. I've done some Silat training as well which is pretty strenuous but I need to be careful on the knees. Jenny has an elliptical machine and jumping on that 2 or 3 times a week during the winter months when not at KF is definitely do-able.

No beer? No wine?

I'll have treat myself once and awhile while stilling getting down to my 'fightin' weight'!

Scott in Shoreview
'79 Suzuki GS550
FirstPath is online now   Reply With Quote