Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2008, 10:45 AM   #1
eatpasta OP
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 10,076
The Carrizo Plain Public Lands Day - four days out on the plain!

My very first Adventure Ride was out on the Carrizo Plain, four days after I got my GS. I was immediately struck by it, and have always enjoyed being out there. ddennis669 is fortunate enough to live out there, and has often times served and a local guide and historian for large groups of agro ADV riders. Not only that, he has a habit of putting fellow ADV riders to shame out in the dirt on his Ninja 250.

Anyways, he told us about the public lands day where lots of voulenteers come out and improve an area of the plain. A bunch of us made it out there but Treadless and I took off two days early to enjoy the plain.

It started for me in Santa Barbara

in the morning, just as the fingers of fog started to invade the downtown area.

Treadlesses shop

heading into the mountains

Hwy 33 - simply amazing

Mike is tough to keep up with, even with knobbies!

the flat part of 33

Treadless, with lots of tread and crap

We took this fun dirt bypass

Out onto the plain

KCL campgrond

around KCL

this sign is in the shed and only readable once you get well inside...

We ran into THOUSANDS of these - grasshoppers, locusts? Idano. I found them in my oil cooler, in my wheels, in my sleeves and helmet

Dave comes for a visit on the Ninja

sunset

sunrise

If you have seen There Will Be Blood you know about what happened in California after oil was discovered. Nearby Taft is part of that story, and the movie is loosely based on what happened near Taft.

there's lots of weird equipment around

there are lots of derricks

as far as you can see

back out to the plain

its perfect GS terrain out there, open it up!!

dusting Treadless

Treadless passing

more abandoned buildings

We were exploring a sandy creek bed when I had a little bobble....

if you look carefully, you can see where my head went into the bush

I got up and knew that Mike would be right behind me with the camera, but he was nowhere to be found. I walked around the bend and there he was picking up his bike.

We had identical washouts.

good fun

heading out to dinner

more sunrises

We headed over to Selby Camp to start work on Saturday

FIRE!@!!!

lots of digging and planting

Dave was hard at work as a supervisor and perimiter patrol

lots of little ones around pitching in

in the middle of all the fun, a dust devil came through seemingly just to fill our helmets and jackets with dirt.

you can see Treadless in this one trying to find his jacket

so here is what it looked like the last time I was out there

here is how it is now; pavers added, trees and irrigation added, corral etc etc

after work, we headed up the hill for a look at the views - camp ground from a higher spot

you can see my house from here

some dumbass

I stopped to take a picture here, and lo' the ground was too soft. The bike fell over just as the other guys pulled up....

to have them pick up my bike

We bailed out on sunday morning and I split with the rest of the guys to head back to Hell - but stopped to have some yummy oatmeal at The Screaming Squrrel near Frazier Park....

Next year hopefully we'll have even MORE ADV riders out there!!

Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 12:14 PM   #2
Borracho
EDDIE WOULD GO

Oddometer: 1,351
Nice pics AJ! Looks like you guys had a blast out there and really helped to make that site an even better place to stay!

And it looks like your bike made its way to see more of life sideways...again...

Sorry I missed out.
Old 09-29-2008, 12:19 PM   #3
eatpasta OP
Lawnmower Target

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borracho
Nice pics AJ! Looks like you guys had a blast out there and really helped to make that site an even better place to stay!

And it looks like your bike made its way to see more of life sideways...again...

Sorry I missed out.

we'll head out there soon dood - lets wait till it get colder!

Quote:
Old 09-29-2008, 12:20 PM   #4
Borracho
EDDIE WOULD GO

Oddometer: 1,351
Don't forget more windy too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatpasta
we'll head out there soon dood - lets wait till it get colder!

Old 09-29-2008, 12:27 PM   #5
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,380
Great action... glad to see your biffs were minor! Thanks for the report and pics
Old 09-29-2008, 12:31 PM   #6
eatpasta OP
Lawnmower Target

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy
Great action... glad to see your biffs were minor! Thanks for the report and pics

let us hope they stay that way!

Quote:
Old 09-29-2008, 02:01 PM   #7
Zen Slug
Spineless Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,947

this was a great idea, sorry i had to miss it (family obligations). keep me posted if you do another volunteer day there in the future.

Zen Slug's Rides

Join the ADV TooL PooL!
Zen Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 03:24 PM   #8
eatpasta OP
Lawnmower Target

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Slug

this was a great idea, sorry i had to miss it (family obligations). keep me posted if you do another volunteer day there in the future.
its an annual thing dood - put that $h*! on your calendar and ill see you next year with a shovel!
Quote:
Old 09-30-2008, 07:13 PM   #9
dyvking
ahead of his flamin star

Oddometer: 3,269
A few more shots

It really was a good day. BLM provided tools, plenty of food and cold drinks, and fostered a 'work together' environment that I think all participants felt comfortable in.

Carrizo Plain Monument Manager Johna Hurl, the HMFWIC of the project day at Selby. She may be diminutive in stature, but she's definitely tenacious in action. This gal put many of us to shame in the work details.

Plenty of ADV ff's showed up in good style:
2014 Fitness Goal: hike 1200 miles. Only 420 more to go.
dyvking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 07:19 PM   #10
dyvking
ahead of his flamin star

..more

The ADVriders showed class, not hesitating to pitch right in with the dirty work (something we excell at, anyway )

We dug trenches for irrigation of the new landscaping:

..built corrals for those whose transportation of choice has to be fed hay instead of gas:

Sometimes there was muted expression of how the project was going:

We helped plant a bunch of trees for Joel:

We even helped pick up trash around the area. Ace might be a candidate for the new host of "Dirty Jobs":

dyvking screwed with this post 09-30-2008 at 07:34 PM
Old 09-30-2008, 07:27 PM   #11
dyvking
ahead of his flamin star

...more pix

At lunch, we were treated to a short discussion from a USGS Biologist about some research they are conducting to try to mitigate the declining antelope population on the Plains:

and we got to hear a cool story from a long-time rancher/resident of the Plains about a the recent passing of a good friend:

Treadless still wasn't quite finished expressing his opinion of the corral project:

There were a couple of late arrivals, arriving just in the nick of time to, uh, leave again

There were plenty of blisters, scratches, sore backs and aching muscles to go around, but this was a worthwhile project for those of us who use the camp. I think the ADVRiders made a strong impression. Thanks to all of us who made it out.
Old 09-30-2008, 08:09 PM   #12
idea man
Plate Spinner

Oddometer: 2,513
yes

Ah yes, the other side of ADV. The public service side. Thanks guys!
[*]'06 1150 GSA Thread: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=375824[*]'06 1150 GSA SE Registry: http://www.ericsyn.com/2006bmwr1150gsadv.html[*]Great Ride North, Alaska/Yukon '09 http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=494846[/LIST]
idea man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 11:30 PM   #13
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,147
a great weekend

Well, thanks to AJ for pushing for this here on ADV. I have always wanted to visit the Carrizo Plain, and a day of hard labor in the hot, hot sun - for free - was just what I needed to get me out the door! And a big thanks to Dave, the local ADV organizer, Iron Butt title holder (in class), and damn I could go on and on after this weekend... but let it fall out below.

So I talked a friend into riding down with me on Friday, on his new-to-him Triumph Tiger:

We rode H-25 from Hollister to 198 and took Peachtree Lane to San Miguel for a quick bite. Then found the quickest scenic route to Soda Lake Road (Shell Creek Road was involved) where we noticed that the Tiger's rear Tourance was showing cords... So we limped it down to Dave's place arriving in time to delay their dinner departure for another hour while we discussed the Tourance and... finally went for Mexican Fud in Taft with Dave, Mike, and AJ. mmm, fish tacos...

Camping on the Carrizo was a treat:

Its easy to forget about stars living in the city, and quiet (at least when we finally knocked off after midnight ). Thanks to Mayor Cabeza and Ace for supplying us with booze for the night, although they had pretty much finished off the whiskey before we even got back to the campground... if you think they are a hoot sober!

Don't worry Ace, you will retire. And it was great seeing you both again. Same to you Mike, and nice to meet you AJ.

view of Soda Lake from above Selby camp

Saturday was a great day of work. The BLM folks organized a very nice event and I enjoyed the jackhammer and bolt cutters, decommissioning an illegal campsight, digging holes, planting trees, and really just contributing something for once to one of these great places where we can ride!

a small ride up above Selby after work

bOb couldn't partake because he was riding Dave's Ninja to Bakersfield to pickup a new rear tire and have it installed in Taft. So thanks again to Dave and the others for helping find bOb a tire, and then giving him a bike to ride to dinner and the next day to pick up the tire! Salt of the earth you are.

soda lake

He was ready to roll by that evening, but then Dave gave us good free beer, threw us all in his cage, and rolled us down to Taft to try out the Asian Experience: thai pizza and blues music... damn I wish I had pics! Live blues music, thai seafood pizza, what more could anyone want - in Taft, CA???

sad empty space without pics of the dinner joint

Well, we finally go back to Dave's after 9, and after his free beer, and the Bakersfield microbrews at the restaurant (Lengthwise). I was in no mood to ride down to the campground after Dave offered up accommodations. Maybe it was the day of honest work, beers, fud, beers,

yes, those are official Beer goggles!

so after b-fest with Dave, Mike, AJ, and Derrick, bOb and I had a great ride to the top of Parkfield Grade. Soda Lake Road, to Bitterwater Rd (fantastic), and then up Cholame/Parkfield Rd (incredible), and WTF would anyone take 101 or I-5 unless you were in a terrible hurry?

needs no local introduction

Fantastic late lunch in Parkfield, and then a nice climb up the grade, and just when we hit pavement bOb pulls over and wiggles a bit as he does...

a little finishing nail in the new Tourance, not a tubeless setup, no centerstand, and the axle wrench was missing from the kit! My quick run to Coalinga for a Fix-a-Flat was in vain; tube must have been shredded by the nail. Last option: tow truck.

bOb stayed in Coalinga and I went home. The next morning the only MC repair shop in town said they were busy and they didn't have a 17" tube. So bOb found someone to truck him and Tiger to a shop that did and would: back where he just had the tire mounted in Taft! bOb made it home that night in SF before the witching hour... a long anticlimax to a first ADV ride. Hope he wants to go again sometime

yours truly in motion, thanks bOb

PS: Dave, you might want to roll down to LA this Friday and say hi to drinkbeer9... WAN will be in town!

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 07:31 AM   #14
Treadless
used 2 b aventuring

Oddometer: 5,214
The other half of Team Synchronized Sand Splat checking in finally.
As already stated it was a great weekend on the plain. The weather, the area, the people, the night sky. Really couldn't ask for more, well maybe for a little less sand. My camera was fairly in active on this weekend prolly due to just enjoying being out there and away from it all. And knowing I was with some obsessive compulsives with cameras. Most of the ones I did take were with the camera on the wrong setting To those that have posted thanks, to those that haven't get on with it. I know ya'll have some good ones.

A few of the (sorta) usable shots

Eatpasta (rare ones of him without a camera in his hand)

Heading down to Lion Camp on our way to Carrizo. Maybe AJ can splain what he's doing?

Pastaboy's dusting from a different perspective

Treadless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 08:40 AM   #15
eatpasta OP
Lawnmower Target

We did a fair amount of riding with a reasonable load.... Im not used to that but it wasnt too bad!

What a great weekend! All bike weekends should be at least four days....

Quote: