User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2014, 07:07 PM   #1
MazeWSP OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Sw motec skid plate install help

just got this new sw motec skid plate for my '14 adventure 800. got the front piece on but am having trouble with the rubber stoppers. do i remove the original stoppers and bolts or use the original. can you use the original? i dont want to damage anything and would go with the stock plate but i destroyed the first one and need something meatier.
MazeWSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 07:40 PM   #2
MazeWSP OP
Adventurer

IGNORE just got the skid plate on. got off rubber screw stoppers with some force just didn't want to break anything.
Old 07-17-2014, 07:45 PM   #3
sarathmenon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 793
I am pretty sure that you need the rubber hex nut thingys. The BMW skid plate, and several other aftermarket skid plates use them. Without those nuts, the skid plate will transfer all the crash impact onto the casing. I don't know the particulars of the SW Motech plate, but it should be similar.
sarathmenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 08:45 PM   #4
MazeWSP OP
Adventurer

the motec came with the stoppers but i didn't know if i was suppose to put them into the original stoppers or take off the originals. i took them off with a little force just didn't want to damage the mounts. Skid plate is very nice longer than the stock and much thicker. very happy with the purchase
Old 07-17-2014, 09:21 PM   #5
sarathmenon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 793
Quote:
Originally Posted by MazeWSP View Post
the motec came with the stoppers but i didn't know if i was suppose to put them into the original stoppers or take off the originals. i took them off with a little force just didn't want to damage the mounts. Skid plate is very nice longer than the stock and much thicker. very happy with the purchase
The germans are usually good at documenting. I just checked, looks like you did the correct thing, the SW motech washers attach directly to the case. The wonders that reading a manual can do SW motech makes some nice stuff. A little pricey, but really nice engineering.
sarathmenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 12:12 AM   #6
MazeWSP OP
Adventurer

it is pricey about as much as the bmw plate but much better machined and ticker. Got a new plate because my off road riding destroyed the stock. very happy with the upgrade.
Old 07-18-2014, 04:11 AM   #7
FredRydr
Danger: Keep Back 500 Ft.

Oddometer: 2,477
Watch the rubber, which on my bike quickly deteriorated at the end of five years of use, and the last oil change revealed the plate was hanging by three points instead of six.

I ordered the four replacement "vibration dampers" from SWMotech's US distributor Twisted Throttle (the parts schematic are in the online instruction manual), but they were taking so long to arrive I dug out the OEM hexagonal rubber versions. They worked fine (with a bit of help from Reaver on the other side of the bike, pushing the plate to align the holes). N.B.: The long ends go into the sump; the short ends go through the plate.

Fred
FredRydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 09:07 PM   #8
Indy Unlimited
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,291
I got the SW Motech on mine and just ended up using the stock rubber skid plate mounts that came with the originator BMW guard. Kept the SW Motechs for spares.

2013 Ducati Hypermotard SP, 2011 Husaberg FE570S, 2011 BMW S1000RR, 2010 BMW F800GS
2007 Husqvarna TE610 , 2003 KTM 525 MXC
Indy Unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote