Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2015, 09:37 AM   #1
Defconfunk OP
I need to get out more

Oddometer: 231
Question How did you setup your MRA X-screen?

I'm six feet tall. I ride a 2010 F650GS twin. I like the feel of riding a naked bike, so the 650's minimal windscreen works well for me for the most part. I've always liked the feel of completely clean air hitting my helmet.

while the stock screen does keep my helmet in clean air, it puts a line of dirty air right below my helmet that makes a lot of booming in my helmet. Above 100km/h even with 33db ear plugs, it is unpleasantly loud. After trying my Dad's Multistrada (old 1000) with a laminar lip, I decided that was the route for me.

Based on the reviews I read here, I picked up an MRA X-screen & windshield.

I'm not 100% happy. The best I've been able to do so far is get calm air (tested by holding my left hand in front of my body while riding at 100km/h) up to my nose. This leaves my head right in the turbulent zone (less noise than stock screen, but some head shake which I greatly dislike).

I've got my add-on lip setup basically parrallel to the main screen and the dog legs perpendicular between the two.

So, how is yours setup? Right now I'm more interested in getting ride of turbulence/headshake than noise (of the two, I'll take noise).
Bruised and Battered, but Smiling and Victorious. - Me
Pictures
Defconfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 12:20 PM   #2
speedz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Can't help you with your windshield but If you can, perhaps try using a different helmet and see how that goes. I'm 6'1 , ride the same bike as you and never had any head shake on any of the windshields I've used before.
speedz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 06:24 PM   #3
RobbieO
Muskokatard

Oddometer: 9,022
i fiddled with mine for weeks.......the only way I made it better was to remove it and go back to the BMW touring windscreen with a tourtech clamp on screen bent up.......

I just put a Wundluch (sp...whatever) on and it seems to direct the wind to above my helmet. More testing required......

It will be the 6th windscreen i've tried!
Old 05-09-2015, 05:28 AM   #4
malloy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 777
I have mine set with the "add on lip" as far forward, upright as possible. 5'11"; pretty good for me. Very little helmet turmoil or bug splats on the face shield.
Old 05-09-2015, 06:48 AM   #5
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,680
I had a GIVI Airflow on the 1200 and loved it. I almost always kept it in the lowest position and enjoyed smooth air flow without a lot of wind blast. Cruised comfortably at 85mph all day.

The OEM screen on my new to me '14 F8GSA funnels the wind blast directly to the helmet (6' 0") and really noisy. At least there's not a lot of buffeting, but I'm looking for better
JustKip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 03:56 PM   #6
(I^2)R/746
Rider

Oddometer: 180
FWIW I put a Madstad on mine recently and could not be happier. It's simple, fairly large, very thick and adjustable. I went from riding around town closing my faceshield to leaving it open. On the highway the wind hits me just on the top of the helmet. I'm 5'11" and have it at the lowest adjustment (bought the 20").

My only concern with it being larger is breaking it in a get off when dirt riding. It's pretty big. BUT I kept the stock one and fasteners so there is always that one I can throw on.
(I^2)R/746 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 07:35 PM   #7
BlueRidgeKat
Daily Commuter

Oddometer: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieO View Post
It will be the 6th windscreen i've tried!
Yep....

Windscreens = Trial & Error

-
BlueRidgeKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 09:34 AM   #8
Vagueante
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Just installed a Givi 333, which it's much better than my previous touratech
(i'm 192cm tall).

I'll try later a wunderlich varioergo, that seems to have a lot more possibilities than the touratech one.
Vagueante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 10:00 AM   #9
Defconfunk OP
I need to get out more

Oddometer: 231
I've reached a point I'm mostly happy with. Still not perfect, but liveable (I don't feel like dropping another $300-$600 on a screen for trial & error).

I've got the dog legs setup near vertical, the the top screen angled just back from vertical (very close to Malloy's recommendation). It works very well at sub 80km/h speeds (any speed up to 80 feels like idling around town). Between 80 and 100 a bit of turbulence is felt. Just above 100, the turbulence inceases noticibly and feels too much for the speed. But it stays almost constant all the way up to 120km/h, at which point it is definitely less than the stock screen @ 120, and feels like a justifiable amount of noise and turbulence.
Bruised and Battered, but Smiling and Victorious. - Me
Pictures
Defconfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 06:11 AM   #10
malloy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 777
Say Funk - Glad you got that thing dialed in close enough. As Kat said, "Windscreens = Trial & Error" like most mods and farkles. But who rides at 120 kph anyway?